InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Default Proposed (Bush Admin.) Rule equates Contraception to Abortion

Found an article making its way around the news sites-

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/wa...us&oref=slogin

The proposal defines abortion as follows: "any of the various procedures -- including the prescription, dispensing and administration of any drug or the performance of any procedure or any other action -- that results in the termination of the life of a human being in utero between conception and natural birth, whether before or after implantation."

Mary Jane Gallagher, president of the National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association, which represents providers, said, "The proposed definition of abortion is so broad that it would cover many types of birth control, including oral contraceptives and emergency contraception."
    Anyone else disturbed by this?
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I find it very disturbing. the moral basis for banning contraception is very hollow. The organism that exists in the first month of conception is so far from a developed lifeform that I'd say a snail deserves more ehtical protection.

That being said, if we think of this in terms of consequences(and I think moral good should be defined in terms of consequence) it could only be a good thing to let people prevent child birth. Otherwise we have enormous overpopulation problems and all of its effects, as well as that many more parents who clearly want nothing to do with their children, which therefor means more miserable children and more bitter adults.

I'm so baffled by what some people pass as "good".
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    the moral basis for banning contraception is very hollow. The organism that exists in the first month of conception is so far from a developed lifeform that I'd say a snail deserves more ehtical protection.
    These two statements have no logical connection that I can see.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    These two statements have no logical connection that I can see.
    It contests the moral argument behind it. Most people who speak of what's wrong with birth control talk about the horrors of "destroying a life", but these people obviously don't care when small animals, die do they? In fact, a lot of people on the "pro-life" side of things are on the excact opposite side of the animal rights debate. It's hypocritical and inconsistent. These people are even against genetic research most of the time. How it is that a zygote has a right to life, but cows can be run through slaughter-house en masse, is beyond me.

Did I mention that a lot them favor the death penalty? They heavily undermine their own argument with these other stances of theirs.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP

"between conception and natural birth" seems to exclude the notion of contraception to me. If conception has taken place, clearly there's been no contraception in the first place. Or am I reading that wrong?

heart on fire

It's so ironic. Prescott Bush was an early major supporter of Planned Parenthood, but when it lost him Catholic votes, the Bushes changed their tune.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It's so ironic. Prescott Bush was an early major supporter of Planned Parenthood, but when it lost him Catholic votes, the Bushes changed their tune.
    Prescott? You don't even need to go that far back, sweetheart. It's amazing how many things George Jr. has done that goes against what George Sr. has done. They have no consistency with predecessors.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

fuck!! sorry, but things like this piss me off.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Prescott? You don't even need to go that far back, sweetheart. It's amazing how many things George Jr. has done that goes against what George Sr. has done. They have no consistency with predecessors.
    I thought we were just talking about contraception here. Planned Parenthood fundraising letter of January 8, 1947, lists Prescott S. Bush as treasurer of Margaret Sanger's first national fundraising drive.

Of course this might also be a great time to discuss Margaret Sanger and the Eugenics agenda, but that might also be where you and I split any agreement...

Oberon

Margaret Sanger? Is it time to merge this thread with the N-word thread?