User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i wasn't going to argue with you about your choices of what you find to be great countries.

i was just curious. the most i'd do is ask 'why' and you answered that.

no, it just seemed like a bit of an overblown reaction to one law that i disagreed with. that's way too much work over one principle. i'd just break the law.
    I wasn't addressing the anticipatory defensive remarks to you. There are a lot of other people on this forum who, unlike you, are ready to build an argument out of anything.

As for being an overblown reaction to one law... I think it's a big deal. My girlfriend and I having to break a law to have sex without worrying about having babies? What next? It's a slippery slope and I'd rather not have policemen and lawyers intruding on my private life if one overzealous private citizen happens to report me or, simply, not like me and therefore tries to make my life difficult.

Breaking the law... I don't enjoy the feeling that I'm at risk for prosecution by the state for doing something I believe is perfectly acceptable. The illegality of marijuana's enough for me to have to deal with.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I wasn't addressing the anticipatory defensive remarks to you. There are a lot of other people on this forum who, unlike you, are ready to build an argument out of anything.

As for being an overblown reaction to one law... I think it's a big deal. My girlfriend and I having to break a law to have sex without worrying about having babies? What next? It's a slippery slope and I'd rather not have policemen and lawyers intruding on my private life if one overzealous private citizen happens to report me or, simply, not like me and therefore tries to make my life difficult.

Breaking the law... I don't enjoy the feeling that I'm at risk for prosecution by the state for doing something I believe is perfectly acceptable. The illegality of marijuana's enough for me to have to deal with.
    nah, i knew you were talking about others on the board. i was just rubbing it in their faces that i'm not like that. ha!

yeah, i can see where you're coming from. i just meant that it wouldn't be worth it to me, personally. if, that is, i went totally on principle. the thought of breaking that particular law would be mortifying because of health risks.

as for law-breaking in general, if the consequences aren't too severe then breaking it if it goes against my principles is perfectly fine. hell, it has a built-in rational reasoning. one of my top ten actually.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Being fruitful and multiplying doesn't pose a direct threat to the idea of being able to choose WHEN one wants one's fruits to ripen.

Regardless, the Bible shouldn't be the law of a land which claims secularism and a strict wall between church and state.

Oh, God... are we going to get into a thing about America's a "Christian nation"? It's dangerous territory.
    What are you talking about? My response was directed at MP, who was taking shots at what he believed were inconsistent stances with Christians. I was pointing out how they were not inconsistent. I wasn't saying that I think the Bible should be the law of the land. I'm not even a Christian.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Why do we not morn the losses of failed attempts to get pregnant and try to save those lost embryos too?

If people really believe that an embryo is a life, why don't we try to save these "people" from this "natural disaster?"

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Why do we not morn the losses of failed attempts to get pregnant and try to save those lost embryos too?

If people really believe that an embryo is a life, why don't we try to save these "people" from this "natural disaster?"
    Failed attempts at pregnancy do not result in lost embryos because an embryo doesn't develop unless fertilization has taken place. (i.e. the woman is pregnant). The only thing 'lost' in such a scenario is the unfertilized female gamete. If an embryo is lost, it is the result of either miscarriage or abortion.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Beware the next step, Onan: A cautionary tale.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

It would appear Hillary Clinton isn't too happy about this--

Hillary Clinton: An Outrageous Attempt by the Bush Administration to Undermine Women's Rights
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wow. Bush really seems intent on stapling his penis to moving objects these days. I don't see how this is going to help his non-existent legacy.