User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

If I'm reading it right, it's not against all forms of contraception, just against those which could more accurately be described as early abortion. So condoms, diaphragms etc are fine. They prevent conception, not dispose of the result. Morning after pills (or RU486) not so fine. At least, I assume that's what they're talking about. I'm not an expert on contraceptives. I dunno where regular birth-control pills fit in. I guess they don't prevent conception - they just prevent the impregnated egg from latching onto the wall of the uterus. Or something. So they may indeed be out according to the definition.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Margaret Sanger? Is it time to merge this thread with the N-word thread?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    "between conception and natural birth" seems to exclude the notion of contraception to me. If conception has taken place, clearly there's been no contraception in the first place. Or am I reading that wrong?
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Contraception, by definition, would have prevented conception, so the use of it would not have fallen under this proposed ban. However, the type of 'contraceptives' that the family planning lady is talking about are like the morning after pill, which work to either prevent ovulation or fertilization, or to prevent a fertilized embryo from implantation, all after sex. So the ban would cover this type of contraceptive because it re-defines abortion to mean the killing of the embryo before implantation. Abortion, as it is usually practices, kills the embryo after implantation.

Edit: Nevermind, I posted this after you posted again.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Contraception, by definition, would have prevented conception, so the use of it would not have fallen under this proposed ban. However, the type of 'contraceptives' that the family planning lady is talking about are like the morning after pill, which work to either prevent ovulation or fertilization, or to prevent a fertilized embryo from implantation, all after sex. So the ban would cover this type of contraceptive because it re-defines abortion to mean the killing of the embryo before implantation. Abortion, as it is usually practices, kills the embryo after implantation.

Edit: Nevermind, I posted this after you posted again.
    I don't see any difficulty according to the definition for a form of contraceptive which prevented ovulation. No ovulation = no possible conception. I think.

heart on fire

There is a theoretical dispute about whether or not the mucus plug created by the birth control pill would prevent a fertilized egg from implanting should there be a breakthrough ovulation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't see any difficulty according to the definition for a form of contraceptive which prevented ovulation. No ovulation = no possible conception. I think.
    The problem, I think, is that the morning after pill can function that way (preventing ovulation), AND it can also prevent a fertilized embryo from implanting, which basically terminates it. The proposed ban calls the latter part abortion, which would make any use of the pill illegal.

Edit: Yes, what heart said.

MBTI
    yupp

contraception has been known to fail in rare cases. I've had more then a couple of friends in which a condom broke on them and they weren't on BC so they went and got the morning after pill. This to me seems like a bad idea to take away this choice.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    There is a theoretical dispute about whether or not the mucus plug created by the birth control pill would prevent a fertilized egg from implanting should there be a breakthrough ovulation.
    "Theoretical"? That's kinda vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    The problem, I think, is that the morning after pill can function that way (preventing ovulation), AND it can also prevent a fertilized embryo from implanting, which basically terminates it. The proposed ban calls the latter part abortion, which would make any use of the pill illegal.
    I could see why this would be a cause for concern. But I think it's shoddy journalism to blare out headlines along the lines of "Bush equates contraception to abortion" (or whatever). Since that's clearly not what's being said.

heart on fire

"Theoretical"? That's kinda vague.
    No argument from me on that. But it is where some people want to connect the birth control pill with actual abortion.

I could see why this would be a cause for concern. But I think it's shoddy journalism to blare out headlines along the lines of "Bush equates contraception to abortion" (or whatever). Since that's clearly not what's being said.
    It is just election time hype, part of the show for the good cop/bad cop thing.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I agree.