MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Major drama on MBTIc discussing the "N" word

click to watch

I see all sides in this discussion however if we're ready for our first African American president (which I believe we are) then I think this word needs to go out with the current administration.

Thoughts? Please keep this peaceful.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP

They're not even letting Elisabeth talk.. putting words in her mouth..

Whoopi and Sherri are so condescending... Ugh.

Enneagram
    1w2

I don't find them condescending at all.

Check it out. Very good read.

Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word

Harvard Law School professor Randall Kennedy grapples with a key term in the lexicon of race relations. He traces the history of the word nigger, showing that it has been primarily deployed as an insult, probably the most notorious racial epithet in America, and perhaps, the world. Kennedy also demonstrates, however, that people have used the term nigger in other ways. Some have written or spoken the word in order merely to document its usage. Others have written or spoken the word in order to condemn it. Still others have written or spoken the word in order to attempt to transform its meaning, to convert it from a negative slur into a positive gesture of solidarity. Hence, in music and movies, on playgrounds and subways, one can hear and see people greeting others as nigger (or niggah), not in enmity, but in friendship. All of these uses are intensely controversial. Many observers believe that everyone should refrain from using nigger given its history, its continued deployment as a wounding slur, and the very real risk that it will hurt feelings regardless of the intentions of a given speaker or writer. Kennedy describes and assesses these arguments and counterarguments. Along the way he brings readers face-to-face with intense debates over such issues as the propriety of assigning to students Mark Twain

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

The nigger word...........hmm

To our knowledge, it was used as a means to degrade the slaves even more.
    Now, you take the -er off and add an -ah and you've got a positive connotation ?
    Wrong
    and black people can't forbid people from using it
    the whole " you can say it, why can't i ? " gamut
    its a word : freedom of speech ?
    isn't freedom what the slaves wanted ? - hypocrites is what they should be called
    who ever supports that notion, that is

all in all, it is generally disrespectful to call someone out of their name
    don't do it unless its a nickname
    and even this warrants approval from the nicknamee
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I actually really liked what Whoopi and the other girl were saying. It's not my or any white person's decision whether blacks should continue to use the word privately or artistically. IMO, that's a form of infantilism and a symptom of the very problem it would be an attempt to address.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In theory, I see both sides.
    In practice, I just avoid the word myself because it's a landmine.

I do appreciate discussions about it and similar things though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In theory, I see both sides.
    In practice, I just avoid the word myself because it's a landmine.

I do appreciate discussions about it and similar things though.
    Yeah, I don't think there's much serious debate about whether it's acceptable for you or me to use the word. It's not. Most of the folks who put forth the "well if it's okay for black people to say it, then why can't I?" line of reasoning wouldn't use it in reality and are just arguing to argue (like Elizabeth on the show IMO).

The sticky part is the debate over whether it's okay for black people to use it casually. And IMO, that's up to each black person to decide for themselves. It'd be patronizing for me to tsk-tsk about it.

Plus, some of my favorite music uses the N-word. I'm not in favor of sanitizing music in any other way, why would this be an exception?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there's much serious debate about whether it's acceptable for you or me to use the word. It's not. Most of the folks who put forth the "well if it's okay for black people to say it, then why can't I?" line of reasoning wouldn't use it in reality and are just arguing to argue (like Elizabeth on the show IMO).

The sticky part is the debate over whether it's okay for black people to use it casually. And IMO, that's up to each black person to decide for themselves. It'd be patronizing for me to tsk-tsk about it.

Plus, some of my favorite music uses the N-word. I'm not in favor of sanitizing music in any other way, why would this be an exception?
    I don't use the word simply out of enormous social pressure... and also because the word seems pointless. I do definitely support the argument that the whole concept behind this debate makes no sense.

I don't know why I can't say it and they can. And I have known black people to express equal amounts of confusion to this. Why can't we pick one? Is the word okay to say or not?

I mean, for it to be a friendly word between two black people, but a hostile word between a black person and a white person... Do you ever feel like some words just exist to add contrived problems to life?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't use the word simply out of enormous social pressure... and also because the word seems pointless. I do definitely support the argument that the whole concept behind this debate makes no sense.

I don't know why I can't say it and they can. And I have known black people to express equal amounts of confusion to this. Why can't we pick one? Is the word okay to say or not?

I mean, for it to be a friendly word between two black people, but a hostile word between a black person and a white person... Do you ever feel like some words just exist to add contrived problems to life?
    You seriously don't know why you can't say it and they can?

It's not the only word that is okay in some contexts and not others. It just so happens that the context for this one is based in part on the ethnicity of the speaker. I'm really not sure why people expect this one word to be all or nothing when English is full of words that aren't, and somehow that's okay.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

Yes, in reality I would never use the term. However, I will say that while nobody can really dictate that black people simply stop using the word, as you say, it is also true that nobody can dictate to racists to stop using the term in a degrading way as well. As long as it remains in the vernacular and continues to signify a specific racial group, it can and will be used for both purposes. The only way to get rid of its negative use would be to remove it entirely, though that is pretty much an impossibility. So I can see why Elisabeth would theoretically want everyone to stop using it, white or black, because any use keeps it alive.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness