User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    "Miscarriage" is a horrifying word if you say it to a pregnant woman. Context matters.
    TOTALLY!!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

(Now I'm really, really, really hoping I didn't put my foot in my mouth with that example.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

I wonder though if it is necessarily healthy for gay men to call each other fags or for blacks to call each other the N word given the abusive history of the words? Faggot brings to mind witch hunts and burning at the stake.

No flames please, it is a serious question, I am open to any views on it.

MBTI
    INFJ

I would never use the N word, but accept that it's used by blacks among themselves for more than one reason. That doesn't bother me and I don't think it's unfair. It would bother me if members of this forum called each other the N word or used other derogatory terms on the forum.

I accept that there are Jewish people who call themselves all kinds of derogatory things in private conversation. Basically that is their business. But it bothers me when posters use anti-Semitic language on this forum. And if someone who isn't Jewish does it, well that's just plain insulting and why would a member of a forum created for people to understand each other better use ethnic slurs anyway?
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You don't seem to get what I'm saying. They know the social implications, but for someone to actively and publicly tell them they can't use a word can be seen as offensive.
    Um, sure it can, but then again, in this incredibly sensitive PC society we live in, *anything* can be viewed or seen as being offensive.

But personally, I scoff at any white person who is actually offended by, and when a black person tells them that they can't go calling black people niggers.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Argue away. And when you've made it, check reality to see how it lines up against your argument. Your race (or sex or maybe sexual orientation) is not something you can wash off at the end of the day. What's happened is nigger has become synonymous with black. It's like pointing at the wino on the corner and saying, you don't want to be like that person. And personally I think ultimately it's not about race it's about money and power. The world according to Tony Montana.
    Doesn't socially sanctioning its use among black people while condemning it for everyone else just perpetuate the word's signification with black people? If the goal were to sever the chords of meaning that bind the word to that particular race, then wouldn't it be a good idea to stop all racial association with that word, even if it has somehow come to be something positive?

And I'm afraid I don't quite understand the wino analogy...could you perhaps explain that again?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    (Now I'm really, really, really hoping I didn't put my foot in my mouth with that example.)
    No. When I miscarried "pregnancy" was a horrible word for me. I wouldn't have sued anyone over it but it still would cut through me each time I went to work and my coworker was pregnant and I was no longer.

Seems to me Jesse Jackson is bitter towards Obama for other reasons than the comment Obama made a few weeks ago about child rearing. You'd think Jackson would be thrilled but maybe he's disappointed that he wasn't the first black President. There was similar supposed rivalry between Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin and the first man on the moon thing.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Um, sure it can, but then again, in this incredibly sensitive PC society we live in, *anything* can be viewed or seen as being offensive.

But personally, I scoff at any white person who is actually offended by, and when a black person tells them that they can't go calling black people niggers.
    Well, good for you. Scoff away. Is it impossible to conceive that some people don't like being told what to do, regardless of the subject?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Seems to me Jesse Jackson is bitter towards Obama for other reasons than the comment Obama made a few weeks ago about child rearing. You'd think Jackson would be thrilled but maybe he's disappointed that he wasn't the first black President. There was similar supposed rivalry between Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin and the first man on the moon thing.
    It could be distraction from other political issues as well, to drive the direction of the conversation in the general media.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    proteanmix - so why if it's such a horrible word (which of course it is) do blacks continue to use it? This makes no sense to me. My Canadian black relatives are mortified by this word and don't allow it to be used in their homes. I don't get this.
    Yeah that is a big question. I will only answer for myself.

I don't make a habit of calling other black people niggas (the change of spelling is usually meant to denote the change of usage and context), but I've done it and probably won't stop. Last weekend I was at a poetry slam and the MC (who was black) said "It's a bunch of niggas in here tonight!" and everyone started cheering. It was a predominantly black crowd and the atmosphere was cozy and intimate. It was used to denote familiarity. I'm not really sure how to explain it to you, when black people use it amongst ourselves it's like saying we're family. I'm not saying this is right or wrong or that's it's used in that manner all the time. Personally I don't think it's wrong but ask another black person and they may give you a completely different answer. There are a variety of opinions about its usage within the black community. If you are a part of that community than you'll have the context for understanding the many different ways it can be used and what it communicates. Somebody can say:

"Nigga please!"
    "Whassup nigga."
    "Who's that new nigga over there?"

It's endless. I really can't explain how differently it can come across. Another black person can pop up in the thread have a completely different opinion and give perfectly reasonable explanations as to why this usage is not alright with them. That doesn't make either one of us wrong (or right).

I'm guessing that the reason why black people give other black people a pass for saying it is because of shared cultural history that we know where the other is coming from although that oftentimes isn't true at all. But the assumption is still there.

I mean look at this clip here. It's comedy but the underlying point is there. Even black people make a distinction between black people and niggas. Listen to the language other black people are using it against each other. Honestly, the term isn't always wholesome and good when used by black people towards other black people. I've often heart the phrase, "you ain't nothing but a worthless nigga," used and the intent is to hurt. It can just as easily be thrown around by other black people. Does that erase it's usage in other contexts? No. I'm just saying this is a highly contextual word and if black people can't even agree (and why should we??) when to use it, why as a white person, would you want to even be caught out there like that? Nigger is a complicated term and trying to reduce it to, "why can't people just not say it" is kind of ludicrous to me.