User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And other terms about which we normally don't give a second thought, like "paddy wagon" or "white trash?"
    I have been trying very hard to stop using the term white trash. It has an implication that I don't like, that somehow it is remarkable when whites are trashy so one has to make the demarkcation between trash of the white variety over the other humans who act like trash (i.e. lower octave expressions of human nature). At least that was how it was explained to me and it made sense to me so I felt it worthy to try and stop using the phrase, which of course was just used before without thought.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think the issue is whether or not whites wants to use the word nigger, it's that they don't want you telling them that they can't.
    Eww, please tell me that you are joking!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Eww, please tell me that you are joking!!!
    I wasn't joking. That was the first serious post I made in this thread.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

To your credit, protean, it appears to me that you're demanding nothing more than ordinary respect, such as should be offered as a minimum from any civil person to another.

On the other hand, an authoritarian approach isn't going to get you any further than that. Any more than the minimum degree of respect can only be granted by the giver in recognition of the worthiness of the receiver... and it's not a conscious process. Real respect cannot be demanded or even commanded.

So really, whether the N-word is used or not used isn't really the heart of the issue. The real heart of the issue is, are you the sort of person whom nobody would apply the N-word? Is it simply unthinkable to anyone who has met you to consider you and that grimy little epithet in the same moment?

For me the answer is yes, you are that sort of person.

Then again, I naturally relate to people as individuals rather than as groups. The whole identity-politics thing passes me by completely.

proteanmix - so why if it's such a horrible word (which of course it is) do blacks continue to use it? This makes no sense to me. My Canadian black relatives are mortified by this word and don't allow it to be used in their homes. I don't get this.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    proteanmix - so why if it's such a horrible word (which of course it is) do blacks continue to use it? This makes no sense to me. My Canadian black relatives are mortified by this word and don't allow it to be used in their homes. I don't get this.
    It's not really fair to ask one black person why a large portion of people of their race do something like that.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wasn't joking. That was the first serious post I made in this thread.
    It is sad that there are white people, and non-black people alike who are too stupid to realize why they can't, or shouldn't call a black person a nigger that black people need to actually inform them as to why it is an incredibly derogatory word for them to use and hence an unacceptable thing for them to do.

But then again, I love when idiots say shit like that out loud and in public, at least their racism will be egregiously out in the open!

`

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    It is sad that there are white people, and non-black people alike who are too stupid to realize why they can't, or shouldn't call a black person a nigger that black people need to actually inform them as to why it is an incredibly derogatory and hence, unacceptable thing for them to do.

But then again, I love when idiots say shit like that out loud and in public, at least their racism will be egregiously out in the open!

You don't seem to get what I'm saying. They know the social implications, but for someone to actively and publicly tell them they can't use a word can be seen as offensive.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

"Miscarriage" is a horrifying word if you say it to a pregnant woman. Context matters.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Why do gay men call each other fags? Principally, it's the same thing.

They take this historically offensive word that was used by others to degrade and berate them, and they make it *theirs*.

Words evolve, and words have many meanings depending on one's culture and its context.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles