User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    What about getting rid of one particular race's use of a word?
    No.

If a person wants to call me a chink kike, that's their prerogative.

If a white person wants to call a black person a nigger, that's their prerogative.

And it would also be our prerogative to view these people as either, joking, being ignorant, or being racist bigots.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'd like to see the words 'mick' and 'injun' reserved for those of just Irish and Native American decent. If you're not of those ethnicities, you can't use them anymore, but I can. So
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    No.

If a white person wants to call a black person a nigger, that's their prerogative.

And it would also be our prerogative to view these people as either, joking, being ignorant, or being racist bigots.
    DING DING DING
    Words and guns have never hurt anyone
    but the people that use them
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP

No.

Would you consider it also your prerogative (or the prerogative of those being addressed) to sue, attack or otherwise victimize people who use such words?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oy vey,

I think pretty poorly of the litigious culture I live in.

I'd need a whole lot more information on such particular cases before I could say whether or not I thought a person had a right to sue someone for using a derogatory word.

In most cases, however, I would think it would be uncalled for.
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP

I'd need a whole lot more information on such particular cases before I could say whether or not I thought a person had a right to sue someone for using a derogatory word.
    Give me an example of a derogatory word you think it would be reasonable to sue someone over.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Give me an example of a derogatory word you think it would be reasonable to sue someone over.
    If you called me a 'mick' and the legislation I'm working on gets passed, you'll go to prison for 5 years and pay $25,000 in restitution. If you called me an 'injun', you also get 5 years, but you pay $150,000 in restitution (because you stole my land).

I was thinking about giving a restitution discount if you called a German a 'kraut' in the same sentence, since it's cool to make fun of Germans these days (the Holocaust and all that).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    (because you stole my land).
    Check my location, Mickinjun.

(Good grief, how could it be insulting to be called Irish? Who doesn't love the Irish? England?)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If an elementary or high school school teacher called a student in their class a stupid nigger, yeah, I think they could get sued.

I wouldn't sue them, I would just want them to never be allowed to teach again.

And the publicity alone would serve as punishment enough.

Perhaps the school district should get sued, for failing so miserably at providing students with a means of obtaining a decent education, i.e. why was such an idiot hired in the first place??
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Check my location, Mickinjun.

(Good grief, how could it be insulting to be called Irish? Who doesn't love the Irish? England?)
    That's $175,000 US (that's about 40 AUD, right?). Will you be mailing a check or using wire transfer?