First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It doesn't bother me if the black community wants to use it amongst themselves. They have the right to take the word back and attach a more positive connotation to it. Whites don't. The reason white people can't use it is because there is a huge historical stigma attached to the word as it was used by whites to denigrate and humiliate blacks. Whites can't wish that away, even if none of us are of the age where we would use it in that connotation. I have absolutely no desire to say it. I mean, I understand the principle of saying if it's a bad word, it's a bad word, but that just kind of seems like intellectualizing something that is a deeply emotional and hurtful issue. Sometimes you just have to accept things for the way they are.
    well said.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    Perhaps, Tallulah
    but the idea of one race banning another from saying a word is a bit comical to me
    It seems like corrupt Fe and tyrannical Fi to me
    If you rephrase that to read "It's racist for you to say that word because you're white, but it's fine for me to say it because I'm black" then I think the apparent intrinsic absurdity becomes clearer. Seems pretty logically inconsistent. But I'm not even American, so what would I know?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    If you rephrase that to read "It's racist for you to say that word because you're white, but it's fine for me to say it because I'm black" then I think the apparent intrinsic absurdity becomes clearer. Seems pretty logically inconsistent. But I'm not even American, so what would I know?
    But you're human
    thats all that matters
    I N V I C T U S

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It doesn't bother me if the black community wants to use it amongst themselves. They have the right to take the word back and attach a more positive connotation to it. Whites don't. The reason white people can't use it is because there is a huge historical stigma attached to the word as it was used by whites to denigrate and humiliate blacks. Whites can't wish that away, even if none of us are of the age where we would use it in that connotation. I have absolutely no desire to say it. I mean, I understand the principle of saying if it's a bad word, it's a bad word, but that just kind of seems like intellectualizing something that is a deeply emotional and hurtful issue. Sometimes you just have to accept things for the way they are.
    And this isn't one of those times.

I don't really like being told that something is emotionally sensitive, so I have to let the stupidity of it run rampant. I think we need to try more to mediate the feelings and the logic. If blacks want to use the word, that's fine by me, it still doesn't make sense that I can't use it. I do not deserve the burden of my forefathers.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

The thing is, I don't think that forcing non-racist non-black people to abandon their use of the word solves anything, because racist non-blacks will continue to use the word regardless, especially when it has become as taboo to use it as it is now. Having the "it's racist for you to say that word because you're white, but it's fine for me to say it because I'm black" mentality keeps the word alive and associated with that racial group, which makes it possible all over again for racists to use it as a pejorative.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And this isn't one of those times.

I don't really like being told that something is emotionally sensitive, so I have to let the stupidity of it run rampant. I think we need to try more to mediate the feelings and the logic. If blacks want to use the word, that's fine by me, it still doesn't make sense that I can't use it. I do not deserve the burden of my forefathers.
    Exactly.
    Who cares if people's feelings are hurt, just because they're black, or jewish,
    or whatever

its a human issue, more than a racial issue
    people should be offended to every injustice, even against a race that is not theirs
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP

This thread is all one-way traffic atm. We must be just about due for an ENTP to jump in and disagree.

Oberon

I think there may be a misconception going on here.

Looking back on the past from our vantage point in the present, we see that "the N-word" is a degrading term. Therefore, we conclude that it must have been used in the past specifically to degrade Africans and their African-American descendants.

But I suspect that "the N-word" was for a long time not understood to be a pejorative term, but merely a word that indicates the noun to which it is attached. It was a corruption of "negro," the Latin term for black, and nothing more.

This has happened with other words as well. For example, the term "idiot" was originally a term to describe someone of minimal intelligence in a clinical setting. It was a medical term like "diabetic" or "amputee"... not a word that carried any emotional weight or degrading meaning. "Idiot" was originally not an insult.

But then it came into popular use as an insult, and so now the use of the word is considered insulting, whether the term is clinical or not. I have seen this during my own lifetime with "retarded." Children are no longer "retarded," they are "developmentally disabled." I suspect that we will see the same thing happen with "special needs" in the near future.

Logically, this explanation makes sense to me in considering "the N-word." Why would a slave ship captain or a Barbadian planter desire specifically to degrade someone with terminology? They were already filling his ships and chopping his sugar cane and pouring his tea and servicing him sexually, all under duress.

I think it was the demeaning of the people at the hands of slavers that gave the word its venom, not the other way around.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    This thread is all one-way traffic atm. We must be just about due for an ENTP to jump in and disagree.
    [snerk!]

I was SET UP!!!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    [snerk!]

I was SET UP!!!

Ne used against you! You can't hate it.