User Tag List

First 162425262728 Last

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    ^^

RE: "penal colony"

No dude, that's Australia.

I got no beef with you Victor, but uh... :whispering: that's Australia.
    There is no excuse to be ignorant of your own history.

Look it up - you were a penal colony.

It was only after your eight year war of treachery against the Crown, that convicts could no longer be sent to you but were sent to us instead.

I do understand that the first casualty of revolution is your sense of irony. But close behind is your sense of history.

But you can't outrun history, no matter how hard you try.

And here we are - laughing up our sleeves.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

>.o I didn't read this whole thread, but I did grit my teeth through 6 minutes of The View and didn't turn to dust. I'm quite amazed.

Onto my two cents of it all. I hate the word. I don't like it, I think it's rude and it's a landmine. Forever it will be a word that, generally if white folk use, will be considered a racial slur against black people. Do I think white people should be allowed to use it? No. But they can without consequence. Do I think black people should use it? Not at all. I don't think they should condone a racial slur period. I think the transformation thing is bullshit. But they have the right to say it regardless.

What I DON'T agree with is the separate worlds thing. You're only as far as you distance yourself. There's nothing stopping any black person from reaching the top or doing anything if they want it badly enough, and they've proven this to the world themselves time and time again. That's the American dream, and any gender now-a-days can live it if they so choose.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You seem to have forgotten that your country was a colony for one hundred and fifty years.

And not only was it a colony for so long, but it was a penal colony.

So of course there were other races brought to your country against their will.

They were called convicts.
    That's silly Victor, since convicts is not a race and encompasses all races. It's also due from people committing crimes. Whether it was their choice or not is debatable but it was a choice to put themselves in the circumstances. That was stupid to even suggest a similarity between bondage due to the color of your skin and merely wanting to get rid of the dredge of one's society. The only other race that can claim similiarity to the Africans is the Native American.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    ^^

RE: "penal colony"

No dude, that's Australia.

I got no beef with you Victor, but uh... :whispering: that's Australia.
    Georgia was also a penal colony for a bit.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ESFJ

I don't like the word, and I don't like to hear it tossed around. It makes me somewhat uncomfortable when I hear it in person, even from black people. However, I do enjoy a lot of music and films that employ it. As a filmmaker, I don't have a problem with the word being used in the context of the story world (assuming the artist is not a racist). In other words, it's contextual. If Mel Gibson called someone a "kike" in a film, it would be a lot different than if Mel Brooks did. And NOT because Brooks is a Jew and Gibson is a Gentile, but because Mel Gibson has a history of anti-Semitic remarks. I would write someone saying "nigger" into a movie if that character would use that term. However, people who know me know that I am not a racist, and that is crucial.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It was only after your eight year war of treachery against the Crown, that convicts could no longer be sent to you but were sent to us instead.
    LOL, victor may be the last person in the world still carrying a grudge over the Am Rev. Not matter how one feels about that, you got to admire that kind of dedication to an idea.

But you can't outrun history, no matter how hard you try.

And here we are - laughing up our sleeves.
    I sort of think you might be the only one concerned enough to spend your days laughing up your sleeve about it all.

Victor is correct that England did transport bond slaves to the 13 colonies in North America before the revolution. For anyone who wants to look deeper into the issues why England needed to transport so many bond slave convicts to the 13 colonies or to Australia, a great book is Albion's Fatal Tree: Crime and Society in Eighteenth-Century England by E. P. Thompson et. al. It is a fascinating and easy to read book.

Oh and before Victor berates me on this book: The author Edward Palmer Thompson (February 3, 1924, Oxford August 28, 1993, Worcester), was an English historian.

Just so victor knows I am not attempting to pollute everyone's mind with some American author's inferior gleanings stolen from the higher cultures.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    That's silly Victor, since convicts is not a race and encompasses all races. It's also due from people committing crimes. Whether it was their choice or not is debatable but it was a choice to put themselves in the circumstances. That was stupid to even suggest a similarity between bondage due to the color of your skin and merely wanting to get rid of the dredge of one's society. The only other race that can claim similiarity to the Africans is the Native American.

Many did not have a choice, they stole out of desperation during the time of upheaval and social/economic changes due to enclosure and as stealing carried the death penalty, many were given the choice of transportation and took it. But to call such actions choices is a tough call. I would hesitate to say that they were all the dredges of society in the way we tend to think of that as being. If there's no place for you in the soceity to attain work, how shall you eat?

btw Native Americans were basically being genocided in these times.

A very harsh "Enlightenment" world.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    LOL, Victor may be the last person in the world still carrying a grudge over the American Revolution. No matter how one feels about that, you got to admire that kind of dedication to an idea.
    I am delighted to earn your admiration, Heart. But more importantly, I wish to recruit you in my campaign to regain Calais.

Calais is yearning to be reunited with England and England longs for its lost Calais.

I think you could inspire us - our very own Joan of Ark - we would make D-Day look like a picnic.

Let us look forward to the Feast of Crispin when everything that is old is made new again.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I sort of think you might be the only one concerned enough to spend your days laughing up your sleeve about it all.
    I have very big sleeves. I have capacious sleeves - the sleeves of a magician.

heart on fire

Re: Kales. Sorry, I already made a commitment to the Dutch.