User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I happen to *hate* the word slut and cringe whenever I hear/read someone using it because a.) I do not think that *any* woman is, can be, or can act like a "slut", and b.) because I find the word to have immense misogynistic roots and undertones.

Obviously, when people use the word entirely jokingly with *zero* undertones of backhanded malice, I have no problem with it, but that is rare.
    "Jane, you ignorant slut." I used to cringe whenever I heard Dan Ackroyd say that on SNL.

Recently a friend told me her daughter went to visit UCSB (Santa Barbara) and was shocked to hear guys routinely referring to women as sluts, both to their faces and with other guys.

Needless to say, my friend's daughter decided to go to a less misogynistic UC.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    "Jane, you ignorant slut." I used to cringe whenever I heard Dan Ackroyd say that on SNL.

Recently a friend told me her daughter went to visit UCSB (Santa Barbara) and was shocked to hear guys routinely referring to women as sluts, both to their faces and with other guys.

Needless to say, my friend's daughter decided to go to a less misogynistic UC.
    Sure, "slut" is an ignorant word, along with a billion others that people should not say if they have been raised properly. However, how do you want to prevent people from saying these words? The fact is that you CANNOT. As much as we would all love to prevent people from saying crappy things, they say crappy things. So the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to guard yourself against reacting to other people's STUPID behavior. Most people who say nasty things to people to intimidate/anger/frustrate/insult people are:

a) Too ignorant to know any better
    b) Too pissed off to be rational enough to know that getting pissed off does not help
    c) Too irrational to see the effects of their actions
    d) Too insensitive to care
    e) Too stupid to even notice
    f) Too stupid to even breathe
    g) Just trying to get a "rise" out of someone for their own amusement. (e.g. see point 'd')

In any of these cases, forbidding people to say things will NOT HELP. Right?!

To make things even more complicated, people react differently to the same things, depending on the circumstances. This thread has conclusively proven this idea. So how do you want to regulate something so subjective?!?! It's totally impossible.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Obviously Whoopie was not being objective and rational. I think it's not conducive to all races coming together (which is what blacks want in terms of opportunity) when anyone uses the "N" word. The word should be done away with by all and that includes blacks who say it to each other.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Sure, "slut" is an ignorant word, along with a billion others that people should not say if they have been raised properly. However, how do you want to prevent people from saying these words? The fact is that you CANNOT.
    It doesn't help that lots of people say these words in jest to each other. It's pretty common for girls to call each other these names, and guys to trash each other in the locker room as "banter" without taking it personally.

The problems happen when the words cross group boundaries (men comment on women, women comment on men, blacks on whites, whites on blacks, etc.)... but even then, if they're all part of an established social group, the context of the comments might retain the same affection/humor rather than the offensive context.

I think the SNL comments were probably viewed in that light -- because we were looking in through a window at a boundaried group within whose context the words were acceptable, even if the existence of the window expanded the audience to groups far outside that of the sketch.

But this has probably already been said. It's worthwhile to hear all the views, but I think one's beliefs on the matter will probably remain personal; everyone seems to have their own opinion based on how they personally perceive things and I doubt it will change based on a discussion.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Orangey, have you read any history about of the word was used historically? You seem to not be grasping the fact that the word, when used by white people towards black people typically is used as a pejorative. The context has already been set. .
    Yes, it was (and is in many cases today) used not just to insult or critique but to de-humanize. This sets it apart into a different class.

It would take a very long time for that history to be forgotten to any degree that the word would lose its emotional impact.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Obviously Whoopie was not being objective and rational. I think it's not conducive to all races coming together (which is what blacks want in terms of opportunity) when anyone uses the "N" word. The word should be done away with by all and that includes blacks who say it to each other.
    That seems like a pretty fascist approach for obtaining racial harmony, no?

A few questions/assumptions:

A.) Are you Caucasian?

B.) Have you spent most of your life relatively sheltered from black people?

What exactly do you mean by, "all races coming together" followed by the statement, "which is what blacks want in terms of opportunity"?

Why should the word be, "done away with"?

And out of curiosity, are there any other words besides the n-word that you believe should be, "done away with"?

Please explain in more detail why you feel justified in hypothetically forbidding blacks to use the word to and amongst themselves?

I think the problem here, as was perfectly exhibited by Elizabeth, arises from those who make "idealistic" judgments regarding race issues out of cultural ignorance.

It is absolutely fine if one happens to be ignorant of another person's culture and recognizes this fact, however, when one refuses to understand that such ignorance does not grant one with permission/access to make unfounded judgment calls towards and against that very culture in which they happen to be ignorant of and rather continues to enforce their ideals anyway, at least in my books, that person commits a major mistake as well as an ethical wrong.

One must *understand* before one can judge, and ignorance makes the crappiest of moral and ethical foundations.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    That seems like a pretty fascist approach for obtaining racial harmony, no?
    A fascist approach to racial harmony is an oxymoron. Although the Fascist were not racist as the Nazis, they still were nationalistic - so the notion of "racial harmony" would not have been their cup of tea.

The proper totalitarian ideology in this case would be Communism, which did force people of various different races and ethnicities to live together in the name of "proletarian solidarity" and whatnot.

The more you know.

MBTI
    ISTx

I think the word should die out from the group/culture that's throwing it around like it's cool, being the same people that are offended when people of other races use it. A double standard? Quite.

Honestly, except on rare occasions, the only place I'm hearing that word is from black people.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    A fascist approach to racial harmony is an oxymoron. Although the Fascist were not racist as the Nazis, they still were nationalistic - so the notion of "racial harmony" would not have been their cup of tea.

The proper totalitarian ideology in this case would be Communism, which did force people of various different races and ethnicities to live together in the name of "proletarian solidarity" and whatnot.

The more you know.
    I believe she was talking about fascists and not Fascists. 'Fascism', particularly when used with a lowercase 'f', has generally evolved into a term describing any political entity which seeks to impose its ideological values through whatever means necessary (even and in fact often enough by abridging or negating common civil rights) upon a nation.

The more you know.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I find it interesting that we have a community that has taken a historically pejorative term and owned it, turning the term in some ways into a symbol of solidarity and empowerment.

So now is when we want to wholesale cease the word being used?

Seems a bit suspicious, no?

Totally unsurprising.

I... suppose. Yeah!