User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Yes, on both of your parts. You should have called him a "fucking asshole."
    I don't know. Based on what protean's been telling us, it may have been an expression of solidarity.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    "Slut" has fallen into near-disuse, and you're almost as likely to see it on a woman's shirt as you are to hear it coming from a misogynist's mouth. And "bitch" is probably used as much for an effeminate or weak-willed male as it is for an assertive or intelligent (or angry and mean, in perception) woman.
    I think the rationale is that when you're impervious to insults, you get twice as many compliments. Or more, as the case may be....
    I don't wanna!

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Once a black guy called me a "sand nigger" so I called him a "nigger" back. Was that bad?
    No, in my opinion that was the perfect response to give to such a comically ironic insult.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Once a black guy called me a "sand nigger" so I called him a "nigger" back. Was that bad?

(taking into account the fact that I never otherwise use the word and that I'm of Indian origin?)
    Pfffffft....reminds me of playing on the school playground...Might be a little immature, but have at it...

No government should try to forbid people from saying anything. Like I said before, mutual respect needs to develop naturally, or you can just forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    No, in my opinion that was the perfect response to give to such a comically ironic insult.
    Hehehe...yep...If you insult a person one way or another, it does not matter. An insult is an insult. What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think the rationale is that when you're impervious to insults, you get twice as many compliments. Or more, as the case may be....
    EXACTLY!!!

My grandmother used to tell me, "If someone says something mean, let it roll off you like water off a duck's back." Turn it around, make it into a joke like Samuel did. Or turn the attention on THEM somehow. Make them squirm, if that is your wish.

But please do not think that forbidding a word will change ANYTHING!!! Because it surely will NOT.

If they realize that the insult does not bother you or phase you, they will stop trying to get attention. If they know it bothers you or if they are immature enough, they will do it DELIBERATELY just because they KNOW it is FORBIDDEN. Pfft.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 07-18-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: merged posts
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't know. Based on what protean's been telling us, it may have been an expression of solidarity.
    Something about the sarcastic tone of this post does not sit well with me at all.
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Hehehe...yep...If you insult a person one way or another, it does not matter. An insult is an insult. What goes around, comes around.
    I am going to have to disagree with this sentiment.

Not all insults are created, received and distributed equally.

There are superficial insults and there are personal, below-the-belt insults, in effect, the former barely stings whereas the latter hurts feelings and potentially ends friendships.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Enneagram
    1w2

Maybe so, maybe no. You've shown how crazy this word is. It can mean a lot of things. Don't latch onto one meaning or one way black people use it amongst ourselves. That's what I've been trying to say this whole time, amongst black people it can mean many things. How many different things can it mean when used by white people towards black people? Virtually all of the interpretations I can think of are negative, but if you can give me some neutral or positive situations when white people say nigger to black people I'd really like to know them.

Oberon

Something about the sarcastic tone of this post does not sit well with me at all.
    I meant it earnestly. I mean, what black person would use the term "sand nigger" as a pejorative, as though that were somehow worse than the non-sand kind?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I meant it earnestly. I mean, what black person would use the term "sand nigger" as a pejorative, as though that were somehow worse than the non-sand kind?
    Um, the one that Samuel came across, apparently.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

I would find it a little disrespectful to the millions of non-ignorant black people who were not there insulting Samuel, but they didn't hear it, obviously. I always like to keep my insults focused on the individual at hand.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"