I agree with Whoppi's argument
    I N V I C T U S

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You seriously don't know why you can't say it and they can?

It's not the only word that is okay in some contexts and not others. It just so happens that the context for this one is based in part on the ethnicity of the speaker.
    Okay. But why?

I'm really not sure why people expect this one word to be all or nothing when English is full of words that aren't, and somehow that's okay.
    What words did you have in mind?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

It doesn't bother me if the black community wants to use it amongst themselves. They have the right to take the word back and attach a more positive connotation to it. Whites don't. The reason white people can't use it is because there is a huge historical stigma attached to the word as it was used by whites to denigrate and humiliate blacks. Whites can't wish that away, even if none of us are of the age where we would use it in that connotation. I have absolutely no desire to say it. I mean, I understand the principle of saying if it's a bad word, it's a bad word, but that just kind of seems like intellectualizing something that is a deeply emotional and hurtful issue. Sometimes you just have to accept things for the way they are.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Okay. But why?

What words did you have in mind?
    It's kind of like how you can call some people by their first names, but that implies more familiarity than you actually have with other people. Using first names with someone you're not on a first-name basis with is disrespectful.

It goes without saying that using the word as a racial epithet is disrespectful, regardless of the speaker. But there are other uses of the word where the speaker and the listener both know that no disrespect is intended. That is never a safe assumption for a non-black speaker. Similarly, I can call my sister a bitch and both she and I know it's a term of endearment, but if you call her one, we have no such assurance.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It doesn't bother me if the black community wants to use it amongst themselves. They have the right to take the word back and attach a more positive connotation to it. Whites don't. The reason white people can't use it is because there is a huge historical stigma attached to the word as it was used by whites to denigrate and humiliate blacks. Whites can't wish that away, even if none of us are of the age where we would use it in that connotation. I have absolutely no desire to say it. I mean, I understand the principle of saying if it's a bad word, it's a bad word, but that just kind of seems like intellectualizing something that is a deeply emotional and hurtful issue. Sometimes you just have to accept things for the way they are.
    Exactly. Well said.

MBTI
    INFP

Not a word that's used much in Australia, but given the etymology that's not particularly surprising (at this point I'll note with mild surprise that "Negro" is, according to cambridge dictionary, no longer a neutral term denoting a specific race). But I know Australian Aboriginals frequently call each other "black c***s" even though I've never heard a non-aboriginal person address them with that epithet. I'm not saying it's never happened. I've just never heard it. It's always seemed strange to me that they so frequently add "black" to whatever other abusive name they decide to call each other. Possibly it's also used in the same affectionate vein that "niggah" is used in the US. It's hard to tell. Maybe it's a different kettle of fish altogether.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Perhaps, Tallulah
    but the idea of one race banning another from saying a word is a bit comical to me
    It seems like corrupt Fe and tyrannical Fi to me
    I N V I C T U S

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It's kind of like how you can call some people by their first names, but that implies more familiarity than you actually have with other people. Using first names with someone you're not on a first-name basis with is disrespectful.
    Hmmm. Incidentally, I completely don't care about that sort of thing.

It goes without saying that using the word as a racial epithet is disrespectful, regardless of the speaker. But there are other uses of the word where the speaker and the listener both know that no disrespect is intended. That is never a safe assumption for a non-black speaker. Similarly, I can call my sister a bitch and both she and I know it's a term of endearment, but if you call her one, we have no such assurance.
    I generally only attribute that kind of logic to intimacy. Sort of like how it applies to your sister. She's your sister, so you know each other well. But in the case of giving clearance to a whole race... that doesn't make sense to me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    Perhaps, Tallulah
    but the idea of one race banning another from saying a word is a bit comical to me
    It seems like corrupt Fe and tyrannical Fi to me
    It seems to me that most non-black people without racist intent have absolutely no desire to use the word, regardless of whether it's "allowed" or not. It would just feel wrong for that series of syllables to leave my mouth, to be totally honest with you. It's equally difficult for me to say the C-word in reference to female genitals despite all the "taking it back" that has taken place what with the Vagina Monologues and all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I generally only attribute that kind of logic to intimacy. Sort of like how it applies to your sister. She's your sister, so you know each other well. But in the case of giving clearance to a whole race... that doesn't make sense to me.
    I think that IS typically how it's used. Among friends and families. I don't think random black people are going up to other random black people and calling them the word and expecting it to be okay!