User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    ... no real reason to get all pissy about it.
    You sort of remind me of Kiddo with your hyperboyle.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

CC is a total moral relativist, it's kind of funny actually.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post

Huh?

If you would, could you please be a bit more specific as to what you mean by this
    I'll try to be more specific. I was saying that IF we wanted to truly remove any negative use of the word from our vernacular, then we would have to remove the connection it has with black people altogether. In other words, we cannot hope to prevent its usage by racists as long as the word is associated with black people. The N-word, as proteanmix said, has come to be synonymous with "black". What I was saying is that by sanctioning or making acceptable its use by one group of people based on no other criteria than that they are black, we maintain the association that the word has with that race, even if the meaning changes to something positive (or something funny). Was I a bit more clear?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    You sort of remind me of Kiddo with your hyperboyle.
    But you have to admit I do a more thought-provoking, not to mention entertaining, job than he did.

With that, I declare my exit from this thread.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Modified thread title for accuracy. You can change it back if ya want though, Jen.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    One could argue you're being a moral relativist here as well.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    CC is a total moral relativist, it's kind of funny actually.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'll try to be more specific. I was saying that IF we wanted to truly remove any negative use of the word from our vernacular, then we would have to remove the connection it has with black people altogether.
    Um, why?

Bitch and slut are two negative words that are invariably connected to women, yet removing the negative use of these words would not be achieved by divorcing them from their implicitly held female-connotations, but rather can be achieved by one limiting their use of these words in inappropriate contexts where the use of them would inevitably offend or hurt someone's feelings.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    GONE

Default Privilege

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You don't seem to get what I'm saying. They know the social implications, but for someone to actively and publicly tell them they can't use a word can be seen as offensive.
    I agree Lateralus with what you are pointing out. I didn't think you necessarily saying this is how you felt yourself.

What you were referring to is called 'privelege' in this case 'white privelege'. People who haven't done a lot of work 'unpacking' their privelege or coming to terms with it CANNOT STAND when you throw it in their face OR challenge it. They can seriously seem to go nuts and not understand why. I think Paulo Freire said some illuminating nuggets (okay he wrote a book, that's a lot to read) about the nature of privelege and relationship of oppression
    Last edited by CzeCze; 07-18-2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Dood I can't spell
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Default Boils down to awareness?

But in answer to Protean's OP, I think those who are 'allowed' to use certain words are those that completely own their _______.

I use the word 'dyke' but I totally own my queerness, does that make sense? I embrace my queer identity, queer culture, and more over have a pretty good level of consciousness and awareness about the history and politics involved with my identity and how it intersects other histories and contexts. It's a conscious decision to use and maybe 'repurpose' the word 'dyke' not a thoughtless parotting or or vomiting up of homophobic sentiment.

It took me a long time to use the word 'bitch' and I still use it very sparingly, because frankly too much misogyny woven into it and I don't want to contribute to that nor invite that into my life.

I think the issue is not in a word itself or that it's 'not socially acceptable' or 'not popular'. Sure, technically you can say whatever you want to a point and still be legal. No one is arguing that. I don't think that's even the point -- at least not for me.

The issue is how much understanding do you really have about the history and context of the word, of the struggles of people and the real pain and oppression locked into this word? Do you really understand this word and what it really means or are you parroting it?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Paulo Friere is the man!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    GONE

Default Boundaries

Anyhow, I think sometimes people sometimes overstep their bounds and how much 'street cred' they get.

If you don't know me like that, you don't know me like that.

If I feel comfortable making "off-color jokes" about aspects of my identity, I will let you know by making the first move. Until then, be respectful.

I think it's the presumption that you get to decide by yourself when it's okay to 'poke' someone and cross that line. And if you 'poke' someone then it has to be okay because it's okay with YOU -- that aggravates Protean.

I've done it myself to other people and been told to step back and I've had it happen to me.

Such is the push and pull of human interaction.

pps OMG, I tried splitting my answer up into different posts to make it easier to read, buuuut

Johari/Nohari