User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this thread about whether or not it is socially/culturally fair, right and acceptable for black people to be allowed to use the word nigger if they so choose whereas such liberty of using this word be not the same for non-blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Doesn't socially sanctioning its use among black people while condemning it for everyone else just perpetuate the word's signification with black people? If the goal were to sever the chords of meaning that bind the word to that particular race, then wouldn't it be a good idea to stop all racial association with that word, even if it has somehow come to be something positive?
    Huh?

If you would, could you please be a bit more specific as to what you mean by this,

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I saw Elizabeth as an irrational, overly-emotional NF trying to argue what she felt was right. I thought her argument was stupid, but not condescending because it didn't accuse anyone of anything. Her stance was at least fair and consistent. I would never support her stance. She reminded me of the someone who goes around saying 'But what about the children?!?!".
    Um, her argument implicitly blamed black people who happen to use the n-word as confusing the public at large by making it difficult for them to assess whether or not nigger is a "good" or "bad" word, when in fact, in her books at least, it is *only* a "bad" word.

She completely disregards the impacts that social and cultural contexts and meanings happen to have on that particular "bad" word.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    If the N-word really is as offensive as people keep claiming it is, then why the hell would you even want to use it in the first place? If they use it, then that sends a signal that it's not really a big deal anymore. .
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    1) Redneck is not typically used to refer to all white people, while the N word is often used to refer to all black people.
    "Redneck" "cracker" "honkey" are actually often used to refer to white people in general. And as I pointed out above, the n-word is also often used to refer to certain types of black people.

So it goes either way.

2) People who are referred to as rednecks aren't in large part the descendants of slaves. They are primarily the descendants of people who came to the US by choice.
    They came by choice, true to an extent, but often to escape poverty at home and often had to endure "wage slavery" once they got here. I already pointed out the fact that poor Irish immigrants were used in dangerous jobs that Blacks were not sent to do, because they were valued as property.

3) It's conceivable that someone who isn't a poor white could use the word in some contexts and offend no one.
    Same can be said of the n-word, as George Carlin showed.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Um, her argument implicitly blamed black people who happen to use the n-word as confusing the public at large by making it difficult for them to assess whether or not nigger is a "good" or "bad" word, when in fact, in her books at least, it is *only* a "bad" word.

She completely disregards the impacts that social and cultural contexts and meanings happen to have on that particular "bad" word.
    I didn't see it that way, but maybe that's because I don't believe in 'good' and 'bad'. That's all subjective.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    "Redneck"
    Redneck doesn't carry the same negative connotation.

"Inbred-Redneck" is not the same as just saying Redneck.

Redneck is more like Hank Hill and "Inbred-Redneck" is like Deliverance.

Only Yankees think Redneck is such a horrible cut down. In the South and some of the West, it means ya got some flavor.

You are getting Redneck mixed up with White Trash and/or Sister-F.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I didn't see it that way, but maybe that's because I don't believe in 'good' and 'bad'. That's all subjective.
    Are you sure you watched the clip?

And are you suddenly a moral relativist?

(Or have you always been and I just didn't know)
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Sniffles

Oh well might as well throw this little gem in from Full Medal Jacket:

"I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That guy was a real role model, too. (Poor Gomer.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Only Yankees think Redneck is such a horrible cut down.
    Well I am a Yankee, so there.

In the South and some of the West, it means ya got some flavor.
    Which goes to show that words mean different things in different contexts - hence no real reason to get all pissy about it.

You are getting Redneck mixed up with White Trash and/or Sister-F.
    Here those terms are practically synonymous.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yes, I watched the clip. I only found Elizabeth to be embarrassing herself (the whole crying thing). I didn't find her to be offensive.

I've been a moral relativist for a quite a while. I'm not sure how you would have gotten the impression that I wasn't. I have zero Fe.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Sniffles

One could argue you're being a moral relativist here as well.