User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 272

  1. #141
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Fortunately you've helpfully highlighted it. But it's not really a 1:1 comparison, is it?
    I for one have no patience for piss contests about certain slurs being more hurtful than others, or that some peoples' sufferings matter more than others.

  2. #142
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I for one have no patience for piss contests about certain slurs being more hurtful than others, or that some peoples' sufferings matter more than others.
    It's not really a piss contest. It's just a fact: the terms are not analogous.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  3. #143
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I for one have no patience for piss contests about certain slurs being more hurtful than others, or that some peoples' sufferings matter more than others.
    But there is a difference between a slur that is based on a biological trait and one that's based on a behavioral trait. One can be controlled by the insultee (did I just make up a word?), the other cannot.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #144
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I freely admit that I don't like rednecks.
    And I freely admit that I don't like those who look down upon poor whites.

    And I agree with Ivy, comparing the two doesn't work really well. A redneck is white, but they have certain traits that are not biological, they're learned.
    A similar argument could be used to justify the N-word, as Chris Rock himself has demonstrated. So nice try at hair-splitting.

  5. #145
    lurking.... Wyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,662

    Default

    maybe it's just my INFJ genes talking here but, who cares? it makes no sense to me why people love to go crazy on what someone said - it always turns into a brouhaha.

    sure, people need to follow the golden rule and watch what they say but the media AND america like drama waaay to much. i don't see how it's constructive at all.

  6. #146
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's not really a piss contest. It's just a fact: the terms are not analogous.
    Please demonstrate this, rather than just merely claim it's a fact.

  7. #147
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    As a formerly (currently, by some measurements) poor white, I'll readily admit that redneck isn't comparable to the N-word. I don't really see how anyone could contest otherwise.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  8. #148
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    maybe it's just my INFJ genes talking here but, who cares? it makes no sense to me why people love to go crazy on what someone said - it always turns into a brouhaha.

    sure, people need to follow the golden rule and watch what they say but the media AND america like drama waaay to much. i don't see how it's constructive at all.

    My INFJ genes agrees. As I said, we have way bigger problems to worry about. The Black community especially has bigger fish to fry than whether or not white people(or rather non-Blacks in genral) use the n-word today.

  9. #149
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Not all poor whites are rednecks. Redneck is more a way of expression.

  10. #150
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As a formerly (currently, by some measurements) poor white, I'll readily admit that redneck isn't comparable to the N-word. I don't really see how anyone could contest otherwise.
    In other words, you can't back your argument. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. MS Paint on MBTIc
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 02:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO