User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    So... what if you became a babysitter and the mother said, "Please don't touch our children's privates."

Wouldn't you be offended? Of course you would never touch their privates, but they had assumed you may!
    Sure, but I've never been in the position where a black person has walked up to me and preventatively asked me not to say the n-word. This discussion has been about that very subject, so to me, discussing it in this situation is different than having someone tell you not to say it, out of the blue. I'm referring to situations where someone would desire to use it or demand an expectation of why there's a double standard.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP

pm

If I were in the company of others, I wouldn't mind much, as I too have made the unfortunate acquaintance of people that used the word at liberty. The more intimate the warning becomes, the more likely it is to rub me the wrong way.

MBTI
    yupp

In 5th grade I got accused of calling another girl the N word, and I got in huge trouble for it. I never said it, but I got accused of being racists, cuz of that lying bitch. She was/is black if you couldn't figure that out.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    In 5th grade I got accused of calling another girl the N word, and I got in huge trouble for it. I never said it, but I got accused of being racists, cuz of that lying bitch. She was/is black if you couldn't figure that out.
    But you look so sweet, how could anyone think that about you?

If a black person asked me on first aquantiance not to use the N word, I would probably just think"Wow, they've been throught it." When I was younger I would have reacted with hypersensitivity and felt bad that they thought I might use it to them.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I don't think there should be laws against it, duh.

But I do think it is fair game for a black person to tell the company they are in to not use the word.
    Of course it is. However, it is also fair game for a white person to take offense at the presumption (real or imagined) or the mere fact that someone is telling them what to say and what not to say. This is a question of manners and consideration for other people's feelings. Basically, whether or not you're a jerk to people. Same situation if a white person tells a minority not to call people "white trash." Treat people the way you want to be treated, and think about what you say before you say it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm referring to situations where someone would desire to use it or demand an expectation of why there's a double standard.
    Oh... I see... then... I suppose, as someone said, I would just not associate with those people anymore, nor would I hold them to a high regard (to say the least). You really can't change people. =\ Some people love to be tasteless just because they can.
    Last edited by disregard; 07-17-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Lateralus? someone said it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Who follows you around telling you that you can't say the n-word? No one. Every once in a while, someone uses it publicly in a derogatory manner, and someone else is offended, and THEN you might be reminded that you shouldn't say it. But NO ONE is following you around telling you what not to say.
    Being reminded that I shouldn't use the word, every time someone else uses it, is annoying as shit. I would also be annoyed if, every time there was a murder report on the news, the reporter reminded me to not kill people.

You're just arguing semantics here. If you don't want to say it, then why would you care if someone told you that you shouldn't? And frankly, no one has ever told you that you CAN'T say anything. You can say anything you want. You have only been told that it is offensive to most black people if a white person says it. No one has forbidden you or anyone else from using any word. But you can't assume there will be no consequences or fallout.
    Right, I'm only reminded every few weeks about how horrible of a word it is and that I should never, ever use it. I guess they think I really, really want to use it and I'm just waiting for my opportunity. In one of proteanmix's earlier posts, she said she actually believes whites want to use the word and they enjoy those opportunities when they can. How can you argue with that? I'm guilty without ever having done anything, because I'm white.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If that was the first interaction I had with someone, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them.
    Um, usually this conversation occurs *after* someone has made the mistake of inappropriately using the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    But that's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about blacks telling whites they can't use the word.
    Hmm, I think I already addressed my views on this in an earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    It is sad that there are white people, and non-black people alike who are too stupid to realize why they can't, or shouldn't call a black person a nigger that black people need to actually inform them as to why it is an incredibly derogatory word for them to use and hence an unacceptable thing for them to do.

But then again, I love when idiots say shit like that out loud and in public, at least their racism will be egregiously out in the open!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    But you look so sweet, how could anyone think that about you?

If a black person asked me on first aquantiance not to use the N word, I would probably just think"Wow, they've been throught it." When I was younger I would have reacted with hypersensitivity and felt bad that they thought I might use it to them.
    well I also got into a fight with her, I bit her. I didn't like her and you know how people say "bite me"? I knew it was a figure of speech, but I was like what the hell and bit her. I really did not like her, we did not get along.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Tsk tsk tsk you evil racist bastard. Of course such blatant racial bigotry isn't restricted to 5th graders sadly. No, they learn this shit at a really early age:
    BBC NEWS | UK | Nursery alert for racist toddlers

Nursery staff must be alert for racist remarks among toddlers, a government-sponsored agency report has said.

The National Children's Bureau guide, Young Children and Racial Justice, is meant to help identify potentially racist attitudes in youngsters.

It is an umbrella group for bodies working with children and young people in England and Northern Ireland.

The 336-page guide said staff should investigate the reasons behind apparent racial prejudice.

Name-calling

It said: "A child may react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying, 'Yuck!"'.

That may indicate a lack of familiarity with that particular food, or "more seriously a reaction to a food associated with people from a particular ethnic or cultural community".

It also warned: "Racist incidents among children in early-years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

Staff should be watchful of children using racist language, it added.

Guide author Jane Lane said: "The book is about being alert and asking questions, being sensitive and never attacking a child, but always trying to think about why they may have said or done something."
    Oh those evil racist toddlers!