User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Fair game? Sure. You can say whatever you want, but I would definitely see you in a less becoming light if you thought that I would be tacky/racist/unPC enough to say "nigger" around black people, or anyone in a work setting.

MBTI
    INFP

But it says "shouldn't" when it really should say "wouldn't" if that quote were to coincide with the point I am making.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I don't think there should be laws against it, duh.

But I do think it is fair game for a black person to tell the company they are in to not use the word.
    If that was the first interaction I had with someone, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Um, in case you guys missed this post.

But that's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about blacks telling whites they can't use the word.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If you followed me around, always reminding me how I shouldn't shoot people (even though I never intended to), I would eventually get the impression that you assumed that I wanted to shoot people. If you can't understand how that's insulting, I don't know what else to say to you.
    Who follows you around telling you that you can't say the n-word? No one. Every once in a while, someone uses it publicly in a derogatory manner, and someone else is offended, and THEN you might be reminded that you shouldn't say it. But NO ONE is following you around telling you what not to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    I don't think the issue is whether or not whites wants to use the word nigger, it's that they don't want you telling them that they can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    Has anyone here said they want to use it? I haven't see that. Your entire post looks like strawman argument to me.
    You're just arguing semantics here. If you don't want to say it, then why would you care if someone told you that you shouldn't? And frankly, no one has ever told you that you CAN'T say anything. You can say anything you want. You have only been told that it is offensive to most black people if a white person says it. No one has forbidden you or anyone else from using any word. But you can't assume there will be no consequences or fallout.
    Something Witty

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm certainly not a fan of rampant, witch-hunting PCism, but this particular word is, in this country, probably the worst thing you can call someone.
    How does one come to that conclusion?

It carries with it a huge amount of baggage that, if you want to use it, you must not truly understand the magnitude of. Of course it doesn't matter so much when someone calls a white person "cracker" or "honky." Why? B/c no one ever tried to keep us in a position of societal inferiority.
    Uhhh.....yeah. The words "honkey" and "cracker" were originally used to refer negatively to poor whites, whose economic situation was largely no different than blacks. There were even cases in the South were poor Irish immigrants were sent to do dangerous industrial jobs(like mining) that they'd never have a Black slave do, simply because they were valued too much as property. Poor white workers were more expendible as cheap labor than Black slaves.

No one ever beat us up for no good reason, other than the fact that we were white.
    Maybe not "white" per se, but certainly because they were Irish, Polish, Italian, Ukrainian, etc. In fact once upon a time, they weren't even considered "white", if we go by the research done by David R. Roediger in Working Towards Whiteness.

We cannot understand, because we were never in that position.
    Maybe not per se, but poor whites suffered their own forms of oppression at the hands of the system.

But to walk up to someone and call them the n-word? No excuse, people. Accept that it's offensive. I don't really understand why that's so hard.
    Plenty of words are offensive, why is the n-word singled out? My ancestors were referred to as Polacks for example. It's certainly hurtful, but then again I use the word to refer to Polish people who piss me off. So in that sense, I have no right to tell others they can't use the word, especially because of hair-splitting.

If you allow yourself the right to do something or say something, then you cannot deny others that right. Or else you're by definition a hypocrite.

There seems to be a big demand for equality and fairness in the use of the word. It's weird, to me.
    That sorta makes sense if by definition, our society has moved beyond racism, and thus the original insulting manner of the word no long apply to current situations. That's of course the official story we're told.

It was always offensive to me, b/c I could FEEL the history attached to it.
    And that by definition is an appeal to emotion.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Who follows you around telling you that you can't say the n-word? No one. Every once in a while, someone uses it publicly in a derogatory manner, and someone else is offended, and THEN you might be reminded that you shouldn't say it. But NO ONE is following you around telling you what not to say.

You're just arguing semantics here. If you don't want to say it, then why would you care if someone told you that you shouldn't? And frankly, no one has ever told you that you CAN'T say anything. You can say anything you want. You have only been told that it is offensive to most black people if a white person says it. No one has forbidden you or anyone else from using any word. But you can't assume there will be no consequences or fallout.
    So... what if you became a babysitter and the mother said, "Please don't touch our children's privates."

Wouldn't you be offended? Of course you would never touch their privates, but they had assumed you may!

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    But it says "shouldn't" when it really should say "wouldn't" if that quote were to coincide with the point I am making.
    My mistake, I meant to say wouldn't.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Yes, because it would be to assume that they would use it.
    Yeah, people use it. Most recently I was at a party with a white guy who was throwing that and other racial epithets around. This time he was drunk but before when we went out he was not and when I said something to him about it, he told me I had no sense of humor. How many other times have I heard it when I was in college? This wasn't decades ago with old white people. This was young people in their 20s.

Once I was walking from class in front of two guys and I was wearing a hoodie. I heard two guys behind me talking. One of the guys said his parents were out of town and he had the BMW or some other nice car. His friend suggested they go to the Flats to party. The other guy said he didn't want to take his parent's car there for some nigger to steal it. Of course I was shocked when I heard it and I debated with myself whether or not to saying anything. I couldn't contain myself and turned around to open my mouth but the shock on those guys' face so absolutely priceless that I didn't even have to say a word. These were two dudes thinking they were in all-white company and could just say it casually. I've had white people say what their father or uncle or some other relative says when they're in the privacy of their home. Once again, this isn't some distant past thing, this has been since 2000 when I was in college.

Not everyone has that inner monologue and good judgment to know what to say and what not to say. I'm not resting on the good judgment of other people because I see it fail them on a daily basis. Some people have no clue.

Sniffles

Originally Posted by Tallulah

From my experience, it's usually uptight white people who bitch the most about using the word more than Blacks. Blacks use it all the time, and ironically they often apologize to me for saying it. Of course I don't mind, since I don't buy the whole hypersensitivity to the word. And they in turn usually don't mind if I use it either.