User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 272

  1. #91
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    In a way, I guess this discussion is evidence of how far removed this generation is from the culture of racism that was pervasive in the last two centuries. It just seems a bit whiny to insist that no one can tell you what word you can't use. I'm certainly not a fan of rampant, witch-hunting PCism, but this particular word is, in this country, probably the worst thing you can call someone. It carries with it a huge amount of baggage that, if you want to use it, you must not truly understand the magnitude of. Of course it doesn't matter so much when someone calls a white person "cracker" or "honky." Why? B/c no one ever tried to keep us in a position of societal inferiority. No one ever beat us up for no good reason, other than the fact that we were white. No one ever tried to accuse us of "not knowing our place." No one kept us out of jobs we were qualified for, because of our race. We cannot understand, because we were never in that position. And the same attitudes that are attached to that word still work to keep blacks in a position of inferiority, PLUS call to mind a terrible time in our history. Why wouldn't someone assume that you meant to call to mind the history associated with the word?

    Sure, it's only a word. There are also times when the word police goes too far--like when that guy accused someone of being "niggardly," meaning "miserly," and his fellow employees assumed it was a racial slur--and he ended up being forced to resign. I'm uncomfortable with that sort of kneejerk witchhunting. But to walk up to someone and call them the n-word? No excuse, people. Accept that it's offensive. I don't really understand why that's so hard.

    There seems to be a big demand for equality and fairness in the use of the word. It's weird, to me. We've all been on this planet long enough to know that life doesn't work that way. I grew up in a small town in the South. I've heard the word many times, from people who were malicious in their intent, and from older folks who were just relics of their time. It was always offensive to me, b/c I could FEEL the history attached to it. I never wanted to get the chance to say it, in public or in private. I guess I just don't get the "don't tell me what I can or can't say" argument. Why would you want to say something that hurts someone outright?
    Something Witty

  2. #92
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Well, good for you. Scoff away. Is it impossible to conceive that some people don't like being told what to do, regardless of the subject?
    Um, no, but...

    You can't go around shooting people just because you feel like it.

    You can't go printing a story about a person quoting them as saying stuff that they never in fact said.

    You can't go running red lights during busy traffic hours.

    You can't go sticking your dick in some innocent unwilling girl just because you're horny and think she's hot.

    You can't come parading into my house uninvited just because you were curious and wanted to check it out...
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  3. #93
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    No one ever tried to accuse us of "not knowing our place."
    Are you kidding me? Do you honestly believe this happened only to blacks?

    Why would you want to say something that hurts someone outright?
    Has anyone here said they want to use it? I haven't see that. Your entire post looks like strawman argument to me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #94
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Well, good for you. Scoff away. Is it impossible to conceive that some people don't like being told what to do, regardless of the subject?
    I agree with this. To trust that an individual would use his or her better judgment in regard to the usage of the N word is most reasonable. Anything more (prior to the utterance of the word) would be imposing and disrespectful.

  5. #95
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Um, no, but...

    You can't go around shooting people just because you feel like it.

    You can't go printing a story about a person quoting them as saying stuff that they never in fact said.

    You can't go running red lights during busy traffic hours.

    You can't go sticking your dick in some innocent unwilling girl just because you're horny and think she's hot.

    You can't come parading into my house uninvited just because you were curious and wanted to check it out...
    I think Lateralus is being needlessly argumentative, but I have to chime in here to say that there is a major difference between violating or endangering people (as in your examples) and offending someone with words. Words (such as threats or assaults) can be criminal offenses, but mere name-calling, no matter how odious, does not rise to the same level of action as trespass, rape, murder, battery, etc.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #96
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I agree with this. To trust that an individual would use his or her better judgment in regard to the usage of the N word is most reasonable. Anything more (prior to the utterance of the word) would be imposing and disrespectful.
    So for a black person to tell his or her friends or coworkers to refrain from using the word nigger in a casual or joking manner when in their company, would be imposing and disrespectful?,
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  7. #97
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    So for a black person to tell his or her friends or coworkers to refrain from using the word nigger in a casual or joking manner when in their company would be imposing and disrespectful?
    Yes, because it would be to assume that they would use it.

  8. #98
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Um, no, but...

    You can't go around shooting people just because you feel like it.

    You can't go printing a story about a person quoting them as saying stuff that they never in fact said.

    You can't go running red lights during busy traffic hours.

    You can't go sticking your dick in some innocent unwilling girl just because you're horny and think she's hot.

    You can't come parading into my house uninvited just because you were curious and wanted to check it out...
    If you followed me around, always reminding me how I shouldn't shoot people (even though I never intended to), I would eventually get the impression that you assumed that I wanted to shoot people. If you can't understand how that's insulting, I don't know what else to say to you.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #99
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    I don't think there should be laws against it, duh.

    But I do think it is fair game for a black person to tell the company they are in to not use the word.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  10. #100
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    My black friends don't even need to explicitly tell me I can't. They and I both know, implicitly, that I shouldn't.
    Um, in case you guys missed this post.

    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

Similar Threads

  1. MS Paint on MBTIc
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 02:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO