5w6 sp/sx

Default 'Why generation y yuppies are unhappy'

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

I can't even get through it because the whole thing is based off a false premise. As someone who has worked in market research and has done extensive demographic profiling based on generational studies I know that people born in the 1970’s are not of the same generation of those born in the mid 1990’s. Even though birth years are not as important as attitudes when it comes to these things people born in the late 1970’s tend to act and think differently than someone (such as myself) who was born in the 1990's.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If I try to finish reading that I'm going to puke. Suffice it to say, as a GenX, I'm a lot more sympathetic to Millennials than Boomers.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Now that I’m over the initial inaccuracy I’d like to say most people in their 20’s are not this delusional. In fact I think a lot of us will be happy just to be able to find a job before we have to start making payments on our student loans. The economy went south my freshmen year of college. Being a business student my professors made us very aware of what that meant. In general I feel like most people know the baby boomers pretty much blew our chances of a comfortable life but at the same time I reserve the right to be optimistic for the following reasons. The first is who could function if they just accepted that they would never reach their goals. Why would I not want to strive to push the uppermost limits of my potential? The odds may not be in my favor but I’m not going to just give up because it might be more difficult. The 2nd reason is I refuse to let the generation of people who had a hand in making this mess suck the economy dry in retirement and with it take my ambition. Baby boomers are not dead yet but as soon as anyone starts talking about making changes to reverse the mess they helped create involving some sort of sacrifice on their part most of them start singing the “I’m too old and have worked too hard” song. While they are the healthiest generation of thier age group in history.I will be lucky to retire at all let alone at a reasonable age with gov assistance. I’ve all but written that off. This is a fate they want me to accept willingly while refusing to relinquish some of their own entitlements. Then they call me entitled lol.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

WhoCares

As a Gen Xer I will live my retirement years working into the grave. Perhaps the reason why Gen Y have expectations of good career progression and good pay is so they have a chance at creating a life for themselves. I am looking at not only a depressing retirement for myself but also the high possibillity of having to shoulder the financial burden of my boomer parent who failed to actually put anything aside for retirement.

There will be a way out of this hell but it wont be by doing what we've always done. The old model just wont work anymore, those who created it have had their fun with it. We need to build a new one that entails a lot more freedom for future generations.

The link wouldnt work for me but my guess is that it entails a lot of 'how dare you expect fulfilling life outcomes, get real!' kind of thing. To be honest I think finding a vocation that fulfills you is a basic life need, considering how much time you spend doing it. Theres a reason incidences of stroke, cardiac arrest, cancer and obesity are on the rise. Chronic stress hormones are entirely destructive on the body.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Baby boomers should all be shipped off to the Australian Outback. EVERY SINGLE ONE NO EXCEPTIONS. And in this version of the outback, there are no steakhouses.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Baby boomers should all be shipped off to the Australian Outback. EVERY SINGLE ONE NO EXCEPTIONS. And in this version of the outback, there are no steakhouses.
    I've been laughing at this uncontrollably for about 3 mins

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It'd be nice if there were statistics on depression or unhappiness in the article. I don't think I accept the premise either. From what I've read, up to 80% of a person's happiness is due to genetic factors. (Happy babies grow up to be happy adults, generally speaking.) From what I've seen at the malls, these millenials don't seem all that concerned about anything and they don't seem all that unhappy.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Most of the people I know that are in the 25 year old range are fucked by the economy and know it.