failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I got out of the IT field because I realized I really didn't like having to help people twice my age figure out the most mundane of tasks on their computers when these people were expected to know all this shit in order to do their jobs. You wanna see entitled? Companies EVERYWHERE would save *billions* of dollars if their older generation workers knew how to ACTUALLY use a fucking computer.
    I tell people, I thought I went into computers, so that I only have to deal with computers, only to realise that I teach people to learn computers, or rather, I fix them instead of the computer.
    I don't think there is a job that doesn't require you to be interacting with people. Somewhere along the line, you will HAVE to interact with someone, eventually. I know NOW, why they tried teaching me "life skills" when I saw no need for it in college. I regret it, but then again, I didn't understand WHY. Now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I told them what they ought to do is get a job doing something -anything- in a field they like. Get an idea of what the day to day work is like and see if that's what you want to do.

Once you find that job, then find a mentor and get him to show you the ropes. Offer to work unpaid or, even better, offer to PAY THEM to apprentice under them. I learned more from my IT supervisor (who it should be noted hasn't gone to college a day in his life) in 6 months working under him than I did the entirety of my schooling.

I feel bad for kids these days. Fortunately they're smarter than my generation and they're wising up to the Great Big Lie that is higher education
    Higher Education acts like a filtering mechanism these days, instead of the intended purpose. I still feel that higher education is necessary and I also think I should rather have become a professional student.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Generation Y are unhappy because they have been sold the American doctrine of self help.

This is the latest iteration of the Thomas Jefferson doctrine of the pursuit of happiness, it's just today Americans pursue happiness in self fulfillment and the new age.

Continual self fulfillment requires bigger and bigger doses of success and self esteem, but never seems to satisfy.

And the new age reduces us to narcissism, cut off from history, cut off from the larger world, and cut off from social movements that shape our world.

By contrast -

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."
    I hate self help, I think it's a scam.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    yupp

to point out these attitudes are nothing new. they've been happening for generations. the younger generation has always been viewed as selfish and entitled. and as messing up the world as we know it by the older generation. which makes sense as when people get older they tend to get stuck in their ways.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post

to point out these attitudes are nothing new. they've been happening for generations. the younger generation has always been viewed as selfish and entitled. and as messing up the world as we know it by the older generation. which makes sense as when people get older they tend to get stuck in their ways.
    Yup. I'd like to say it won't happen to me, but it probably will.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    I tell people, I thought I went into computers, so that I only have to deal with computers, only to realise that I teach people to learn computers, or rather, I fix them instead of the computer.
    I don't think there is a job that doesn't require you to be interacting with people. Somewhere along the line, you will HAVE to interact with someone, eventually. I know NOW, why they tried teaching me "life skills" when I saw no need for it in college. I regret it, but then again, I didn't understand WHY. Now I know why.
    Oh I knew that I was going to deal with people, that I was completely fine with. In spite of the tone of my former post, I do like people and working with them. Hell, it's why I'm in real estate now!

My issue is technophobes and the older generation's almost total unwillingness/inability to join the rest of us in 2014. A lot of the older folks just didn't know what they were doing but they wanted to learn and that was fine because as time went on they did start picking up on what to do and these people became a joy to work with.

No, the people that drove me out of the business were the technophobes. These people seemed to take PRIDE in the fact that they didn't know how to use a computer or operate a smart phone and not own an email address. They wear this anachronistic stupidity like some sort of badge of honor, like they're getting brownie points with some unknown diety for shoving their head into the sand and keeping it there.

I STILL deal people like this in my current profession but it's impact is *much* greatly minimized. I've got one homeowner for example who REFUSES to get an email address and insists I snail-mail him every-god-damn-thing. I have to send him. Some of these, like documents and such, are fine but it frustrates me when I've got photos of his property or something similar that I want to send him and he insists I waste a shit load of ink and paper to mail him the stuff. I mean, seriously, it's 2014 and we live in an age of Gmail/Hotmail/iCloud email address which will cost you nothing to get. GET A FUCKING EMAIL ADDRESS

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Higher Education acts like a filtering mechanism these days, instead of the intended purpose. I still feel that higher education is necessary and I also think I should rather have become a professional student.
    If that is indeed what it's become, than that only underscores my original point. From the time I was little, the idea that "we need to go to college" was drilled into my skull and it wasn't until I got out that I realized just how stupid the whole thing is. For certain things it's an absolute necessity and I won't dispute that at all (such as Law or Medicine) but my opinion is that unless you *REALLY* know what it is you want to do, college is something that should be held off and assessed as to whether or not it's something you really need, given the costs.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I hate self help, I think it's a scam.
    Well, it is free, it is well organised, and studies since 1946 show that self help groups do actually help. There is one caveat, and that is self help groups are not appropriate for those suffering a psychosis.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Yup. I'd like to say it won't happen to me, but it probably will.
    Same here, it already started with smartphones and laptops that are now tablets.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The cure for that is getting a smartphone, if you are able to. Now I've made my piece with touchscreens. Haptic feedback (buzzy feelings when you press the keyboard) helps too.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I can't seem to lower my expectations enough, I keep lowering them goddammit.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I don't think happiness = reality - expectations, as the article asserts repeatedly. Happiness is simply a constellation of brain chemicals, as any junkie understands early on in his misadventures.