User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by mooseantlers View Post
    What about all the cool ones that were like, hippies.
    Send them first.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts on how INFPs and 4s feel about this as they may be prone to feeling special regardless of generation.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    For me the calculation went like this:

Where can I do something I find interesting, use my unique talents to the utmost of my capability, minimize the amount of control others have over my job security, and make the most money possible with the least educational barriers to entry?
    Ironically my calculation wen't exactly the same way. Except of course that those things I find interesting I tend to have little ability in, fortunately there is always tenacity. Incidentally what are your unique talents?

Also......:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    There's an unsustainable culture of debt going on. It's gonna implode eventually, and it will be ugly. People take so much for granted...
    ......this.

I never held any delusions about my own capabilities. I'm decidedly average and in many areas well below average. I don't envy or decry people who want to punch higher in life, why not? A lot of times, (even though there are many who punch higher than they might ever reach thus trapping themselves in that same misery of expectation), I admire those people who attempt to do so as they at least give me some, perhaps false or misguided, hope that there are some who might do something to help influence the world in a positive manner.

As for myself, I battle between the complacency of comfort and the prickly urgency of change. You aren't incentivised to change much when you are comfortable and rarely is change reached by being in a comfortable position.

Sacrifice is the important word and someone unwilling to sacrifice anything cannot achieve much.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Incidentally what are your unique talents?
    Complex systems analysis, law, politics, the market. Foresight... I can see where we are and read where we are going well enough to predict where we're headed (not precisely but well enough usually position myself advantageously). I have an ability to explain difficult concepts in ways that make sense to lay folk. This is much more pronouced IRL. In most policy areas I'm not quite versed enough to generate solid 3 dimensional workable policy packages, but in several I can. I have a good voice, my folks thought I should do radio. I didn't have to be mic'd in High School plays in a 1000+ person auditorium because of my resonators. I'm charismatic, my Mom's an ENFJ, and I inherited many of her social graces but with an NTJ twist. I'm funny. I got a girls number this morning in a bagel place off the back of a joke I made about a yoga advertisement. I have a wider knowledge base [usable knowledge that you can make money off of, plenty of people know more theory than I do](given the number of fields I've been in) than most people. I read people very well. I perform better under pressure. I can make hard decisions fast. I'm tall and fairly good looking.

Better than all that though is the vulnerable center you might find if I know you long enough to trust you.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Complex systems analysis, law, politics, the market. Foresight... I can see where we are and read where we are going well enough to predict where we're headed (not precisely but well enough usually position myself advantageously). I have an ability to explain difficult concepts in ways that make sense to lay folk. This is much more pronouced IRL. In most policy areas I'm not quite versed enough to generate solid 3 dimensional workable policy packages, but in several I can. I have a good voice, my folks thought I should do radio. I didn't have to be mic'd in High School plays in a 1000+ person auditorium because of my resonators. I'm charismatic, my Mom's an ENFJ, and I inherited many of her social graces but with an NTJ twist. I'm funny. I got a girls number this morning in a bagel place off the back of a joke I made about a yoga advertisement. I have a wider knowledge base [usable knowledge that you can make money off of, plenty of people know more theory than I do](given the number of fields I've been in) than most people. I read people very well. I perform better under pressure. I can make hard decisions fast. I'm tall and fairly good looking.
    Well that sounds good, you're hired! Hmm...interesting I like that you have such a solidity and confidence.

Better than all that though is the vulnerable center you might find if I know you long enough to trust you.
    Aww that's...what's the term?.....sweet.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Send them first.

Quote Originally Posted by miauwington View Post
    Oh yeah, well said.
    Very often trying to be happy makes us unhappy.

If you're able to get into a flow where the focus lies on projects and relationships, you have a good chance of becoming happy without even being aware of it consciously very often.

You're serious about this ? Because eventhough there's some truth in this, it seems you're exclusively attaching happiness to money.
    Yes, you are right. Getting into flow will often unconsciously produce happiness.

The quote is from Charles Dickens 1850 novel David Copperfield.

There was no generation Y in 1850 and so the cohort of 1850 had different values and a different outlook than generation Y in the 21st century. They are a wonderful contrast.

There was no sense of entitlement in 1850 as there is today.

Default The Nimbin Aquarius Festival and Wordsworth

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Baby boomers should all be shipped off to the Australian Outback. EVERY SINGLE ONE NO EXCEPTIONS. And in this version of the outback, there are no steakhouses.
    We shipped the hippies off to Nimbin, northern New South Wales, Australia, a lovely country town and farming community. Here they are -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYAazvGpsU

Mole attended the Aquarius Festival in Nimbin. He built a dome home, danced round the fire at night, and skinny dipped in the Nimbin Creek. And Mole worked collecting the garbage of 20,000 hippies, sorted it, and sold it on behalf of the Aquarius Collective. And the garbage business was the only part of the Festival that made money.

This says it all -

OH! pleasant exercise of hope and joy!
    For mighty were the auxiliars which then stood
    Upon our side, we who were strong in love!
    Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
    But to be young was very heaven!--Oh! times,
    In which the meagre, stale, forbidding ways
    Of custom, law, and statute, took at once
    The attraction of a country in romance!
    When Reason seemed the most to assert her rights,
    When most intent on making of herself 10
    A prime Enchantress--to assist the work,
    Which then was going forward in her name!
    Not favoured spots alone, but the whole earth,
    The beauty wore of promise, that which sets
    (As at some moment might not be unfelt
    Among the bowers of paradise itself)
    The budding rose above the rose full blown.
    What temper at the prospect did not wake
    To happiness unthought of? The inert
    Were roused, and lively natures rapt away! 20
    They who had fed their childhood upon dreams,
    The playfellows of fancy, who had made
    All powers of swiftness, subtilty, and strength
    Their ministers,--who in lordly wise had stirred
    Among the grandest objects of the sense,
    And dealt with whatsoever they found there
    As if they had within some lurking right
    To wield it;--they, too, who, of gentle mood,
    Had watched all gentle motions, and to these
    Had fitted their own thoughts, schemers more mild,

And in the region of their peaceful selves;--
    Now was it that both found, the meek and lofty
    Did both find, helpers to their heart's desire,
    And stuff at hand, plastic as they could wish;
    Were called upon to exercise their skill,
    Not in Utopia, subterranean fields,
    Or some secreted island, Heaven knows where!
    But in the very world, which is the world
    Of all of us,--the place where in the end
    We find our happiness, or not at all!

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I actually read the article and while there is SOME truth to it...I would say these things were only true in the late 90's, early 2000's.

I remember when I graduated high school in 2002, I immediately went into college because that was what you were supposed to do. That's what everyone told me to do. It was ingrained in me from the time I was little that THAT was the path to a successful life. My parents, my teachers, EVERYONE told me that I could be whatever I wanted to be, provided I went to school for it.

So, I went to school to work in computers because that's what I liked doing.

When I graduated college, I very quickly discovered that this pipe dream that I had been sold the better part of my life was a lie. I went to school so that I could only qualify for an entry level job and I also discovered that my schooling was almost useless. Going to school for computers does NOT prepare for the everyday job of troubleshooting and working on common computer problems. Oh sure, I knew how to assemble a motherboard, the history of DOS, what "CMOS" meant and other such interesting things but all of those generally have very little to do with figuring why a printer doesn't work or how to get a wireless adapter to connect to your wireless router.

I am *****SO***** incredibly grateful and lucky that my parents and my Bright Futures Scholarship paid for schooling, and that I have no student loans or debts to pay off.

I got out of the IT field because I realized I really didn't like having to help people twice my age figure out the most mundane of tasks on their computers when these people were expected to know all this shit in order to do their jobs. You wanna see entitled? Companies EVERYWHERE would save *billions* of dollars if their older generation workers knew how to ACTUALLY use a fucking computer.

Now? I started working in the management side if things with my parents company and now I co-own the company with them and we're doing very well. But I look around and I see the members of my generation struggling with debt because they were sold a false bill of goods about "if you go to college, good things will happen".

No they won't. They really friggin' won't. Unless you're going to school to specialize in a needed field, it's wasted money in my opinion.

Some friends of my family just had their kids graduate high school and these kids are smarter than those who graduated at my time. They were immersed in the economy crash so they have no illusions, they know EXACTLY what is waiting for them. I told them once NOT to go to college until you have a damned good idea as to what it is you want to do. Why? Because college costs so freaking much you'll be paying for it for the rest of your life. So choose your investment wisely.

I told them what they ought to do is get a job doing something -anything- in a field they like. Get an idea of what the day to day work is like and see if that's what you want to do.

Once you find that job, then find a mentor and get him to show you the ropes. Offer to work unpaid or, even better, offer to PAY THEM to apprentice under them. I learned more from my IT supervisor (who it should be noted hasn't gone to college a day in his life) in 6 months working under him than I did the entirety of my schooling.

I feel bad for kids these days. Fortunately they're smarter than my generation and they're wising up to the Great Big Lie that is higher education
    Agreed.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I'm interested in hearing thoughts on how INFPs and 4s feel about this as they may be prone to feeling special regardless of generation.
    I just know I'm special, and that all the other 'specials' are fake

On a more serious note, I don't think the article really reflects reality. I do think kids nowadays tend to be a bit more dreamy/floaty than my parents' hard-working generation, but that IMHO is due to other factors, such as the rise of individualism, globalization, the disappearing moral absolutism.

I don't know, I don't see this phenomenon where I am, and my Facebook newsfeed is full of dog pictures, so I don't know what they are talking about.
    4w5 sp/sx EII