User Tag List

First 23456 Last

WhoCares

I left IT at the end of the boom here in 2001. Up to that point if you were certified and had any experience you could name your price and pick a job. I did. Then I went into business for myself and didnt come back into the workforce fulltime for another 7yrs. I took a job that while the starting salary seemed low, it paid a lot of extra's that enable me to earn about $90k doing very little, but its menial and boring work, working odd hours. I am entirely replacable and thats okay because its just a moneyspinner while I prepare to work for myself again. My retirement cannot be just the forced savings the government makes us contribute to, its far too low and is at the vagaries of the financial system. I know that owning a business is the only retirement option for me. Thats what I'm working on now.

I like living in this era of change, I wouldn't want to have lived in the secure career of my parents that would have been incredibly boring. Better to have the thrill of living by your wits and making it up as you go along. For while the social security system known as a career is long gone its up to us to create a new system based on freedom and leverage of personal talents. Thats an opportunity that wasn't as well supported in the previous generation. Its never been cheaper, easier and more accessible to start a business with low capital than now. Thanks to the internet, its incredibly easy to access large markets for whatever your talents are at virtually zero cost.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I left IT at the end of the boom here in 2001. Up to that point if you were certified and had any experience you could name your price and pick a job. I did. Then I went into business for myself and didnt come back into the workforce fulltime for another 7yrs. I took a job that while the starting salary seemed low, it paid a lot of extra's that enable me to earn about $90k doing very little, but its menial and boring work, working odd hours. I am entirely replacable and thats okay because its just a moneyspinner while I prepare to work for myself again. My retirement cannot be just the forced savings the government makes us contribute to, its far too low and is at the vagaries of the financial system. I know that owning a business is the only retirement option for me. Thats what I'm working on now.

I like living in this era of change, I wouldn't want to have lived in the secure career of my parents that would have been incredibly boring. Better to have the thrill of living by your wits and making it up as you go along. For while the social security system known as a career is long gone its up to us to create a new system based on freedom and leverage of personal talents. Thats an opportunity that wasn't as well supported in the previous generation. Its never been cheaper, easier and more accessible to start a business with low capital than now. Thanks to the internet, its incredibly easy to access large markets for whatever your talents are at virtually zero cost.
    Obstacle is just a misspelling of opportunity.

Generation Y are unhappy because they have been sold the American doctrine of self help.

This is the latest iteration of the Thomas Jefferson doctrine of the pursuit of happiness, it's just today Americans pursue happiness in self fulfillment and the new age.

Continual self fulfillment requires bigger and bigger doses of success and self esteem, but never seems to satisfy.

And the new age reduces us to narcissism, cut off from history, cut off from the larger world, and cut off from social movements that shape our world.

By contrast -

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."

MBTI
    ISTx

I kind of hate my generation, not gonna lie.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Generation Y are unhappy because they have been sold the American doctrine of self help.

This is the latest iteration of the Thomas Jefferson doctrine of the pursuit of happiness, it's just today Americans pursue happiness in self fulfillment and the new age.

Continual self fulfillment requires bigger and bigger doses of success and self esteem, but never seems to satisfy.

And the new age reduces us to narcissism, cut off from history, cut off from the larger world, and cut off from social movements that shape our world.
    Oh yeah, well said.
    Very often trying to be happy makes us unhappy.

If you're able to get into a flow where the focus lies on projects and relationships, you have a good chance of becoming happy without even being aware of it consciously very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    By contrast -

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."
    You're serious about this ? Because eventhough there's some truth in this, it seems you're exclusively attaching happiness to money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

This will probably depend a lot on how hard your respective country has been hit by the recent crisis. Over here the damages have been limited and I do have the impression that the descripton in the OP does apply to a lot of people in that age group. There is an enormous pressure to make the best of apparently endless opportunities while the security of the older generation's life is gone and all that is left is a bunch of debts. However, I do wonder how much of this classification system is based on developments in the USA as demographic trends differ from country to country. Not everybody had a babyboom and over here birthrates are currently much lower than in the US and have been for decades. Also, over here people usually call my parent's generation the "68er Generation", a term for those born between 1940 and 1950 who were influenced by the political and cultural upheaval of the late sixties.

By the way, where the f*ck do you fall if you were born in 1980? I guess technically I'm a very late Gen Xer and I do see myself slightly closer to Gen X than to Gen Y, but it's a bit hard to tell. As I took my time studying at home and abroad and spent 6-7 years in college I am living the lifestyle of a Gen Yer, economically speaking.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Over here the damages have been limited
    Well, for graduates with experience. Most kinds of "Zeitarbeit" are really badly paid.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" - George Carlin
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    "Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" - George Carlin

Haven't heard that one before.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Baby boomers should all be shipped off to the Australian Outback. EVERY SINGLE ONE NO EXCEPTIONS. And in this version of the outback, there are no steakhouses.
    What about all the cool ones that were like, hippies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump