First 12345 Last

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Anecdotally, one of the defining vibes of millennial culture is a disdain for entitled, special attitudes. Might just be my region, but I don't know anyone who would admit to feeling like Lucy - only people who ridicule her. Don't get caught flinching when the next support cracks. "Entitled" is a loaded word. But I think more people want to appear resigned to getting fucked than the number that actually has steeled themselves beneath the cynical veneer. @WhoCares and @iNtrovert's posts validate the needs that many 20 and 30-somethings hide to in order to look tough.

Anyway. I could do what fulfills me alone, on a wall, with my own shit.
    It's fine that you feel that way but umm I have never tried to look tough. I'm 23 and I've just gotten an interview to use my marketing degree to sale insurance. I hate sales and I hate insurance but I need a job. I'd rather make some money and get some experience than to sit on my parents couch looking for my dream job. I want to move out marry my bf and start my own life. That’s more important to me than settling for a job less than ideal right now. My life goals outside of work are what I consider to be my primary needs. This in no way means that I have given up on one day finding a job I love but that’s less important to me than forging my own life. That's just the reality of my situation. It has nothing to do with being “tough”.My post validates nothing you've said regardless of what you may think.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    I'm 23 and I've just gotten an interview to use my marketing degree to sale insurance. I hate sales and I hate insurance but I need a job.
    Good luck, Prudential wanted me to sell insurance for them, but turns out they just burn through new guys.

With Insurance sales, a lot of times, they just want your contacts. They'll ask you to bring in like 200 names, then work you till you quit. They really want the names, and for you to do just enough business that they don't lose money on your training.

Ask the interviewer, what the turnover rate is and how the company trains you for lasting success once your existing network of contacts is depleted.

Use this job as a stepping stone if you have to. I worked as a realtor for 2 years (and actually did pretty well) and that got me to the job I have now.

Yea I didn't love real estate, but I made money, gained experience and got where I wanted to go.

Best of luck.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

It's fine that you feel that way but umm I have never tried to look tough. I'm 23 and I've just gotten an interview to use my marketing degree to sale insurance. I hate sales and I hate insurance but I need a job. I'd rather make some money and get some experience than to sit on my parents couch looking for my dream job. I want to move out marry my bf and start my own life. That’s more important to me than settling for a job less than ideal right now. My life goals outside of work are what I consider to be my primary needs. This in no way means that I have given up on one day finding a job I love but that’s less important to me than forging my own life. That's just the reality of my situation. It has nothing to do with being “tough”.My post validates nothing you've said regardless of what you may think.
    I was talking about people who are ashamed of their "fulfillment" needs regardless of what the reality of their situation is, and referred to your post as a balanced example of not being so. Pulling in others' words because I couldn't be clear was presumptuous of me to do anyway, though, and I apologize for that.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You can either get ahead of change, or chase it and get left behind.

Find something that can't be done by a robot or software, or someone 6000 miles away for cheaper.

The kind of jobs college grads looked for in the 70's, 80's, 90's and early 00's are disappearing. You need experience and a least a Business school degree to go anywhere in corporate America.

If you are STEM inclined I recommend any kind of engineering (esp. chemical). If you are IT inclined invent an APP, the most successful folks in IT I know have. Everyone knows how to use computers now, and that IT degree doesn't carry the same weight it used to unless you are something special.

I would highly recommend a degree in geology (mining). Go work for a natural gas start up.

Leverage your unique talents (everyone has something they can do) to strike while the irons hot. The difference is its on us now. The jobs aren't there waiting we have to make em.

I would also highly recommend finance (my path) but not insurance sales. Finance and sales however are definitely not for everyone though.

The interweb and increasing connectivity are fundamentally changing the employment landscape.

You can either deal with that, or bitch about it, the choice is yours.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I was talking about people who are ashamed of their "fulfillment" needs regardless of what the reality of their situation is, and referred to your post as a balanced example of not being so. Pulling in others' words because I couldn't be clear was presumptuous of me to do anyway, though, and I apologize for that.
    O ok I misunderstood your post. For that I believe I owe you an apology as well. To add to that pulling form my other post my fulfillment needs are generally my life goals outside of the work place but I don't completely disregard goals related to work or my career path. That's an interesting point. Millennials tend to strive for work life balance as a whole. I wonder if the reality of most of our situations cause our fulfillment needs to be skewed towards life goals that are independent of work. Very very interesting point.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

@DiscoBiscuit wise words.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

For me the calculation went like this:

Where can I do something I find interesting, use my unique talents to the utmost of my capability, minimize the amount of control others have over my job security, and make the most money possible with the least educational barriers to entry?

As a Financial Advisor, I'll get to utilize my understanding of Global Politics and Economics and the fact that I love to talk (am a people person). I will be challenged (for the first time in a long time) intellectually. Whether I keep the job just comes down to how hard I work and how much business I bring to the company, not whether my Managing Principle and I are super chummy. Lastly, I can make Dr. or Esq. money easy without having to go to medical or law school, with a lot of room for growth.

All the real jobs I've had have been in sales, lobbying (and on the hill), selling houses and now finance. My greatest skills are my ability to talk to (charm) people and explain really complex shit in a simple way.

Being a Financial Advisor will allow me to leverage my skills to the greatest extent possible, while minimizing the amount of control others have over me. I'm challenged and happy, and can get rich doing it.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Good luck, Prudential wanted me to sell insurance for them, but turns out they just burn through new guys.

With Insurance sales, a lot of times, they just want your contacts. They'll ask you to bring in like 200 names, then work you till you quit. They really want the names, and for you to do just enough business that they don't lose money on your training.

Ask the interviewer, what the turnover rate is and how the company trains you for lasting success once your existing network of contacts is depleted.

Use this job as a stepping stone if you have to. I worked as a realtor for 2 years (and actually did pretty well) and that got me to the job I have now.

Yea I didn't love real estate, but I made money, gained experience and got where I wanted to go.

Best of luck.
    Nice, I have also been contacted for a job in real estate so this is really helpful. I actually only really seriously considered the insurance agent job because they wanted to train me for management. I want to get a masters in industrial organizational phycology so I’m actually a lot more interested in the prospect of moving into management than sales. I really appreciate your input.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    For me the calculation went like this:

Where can I do something I find interesting, use my unique talents to the utmost of my capability, minimize the amount of control others have over my job security, and make the most money possible
    Yep, I think that's a good reasoning.

For some people, that will imply a career which doens't have a stellar compensation. That's okay, too, as long as you do something that's not easily replaceable.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

O ok I misunderstood your post. For that I believe I owe you an apology as well. To add to that pulling form my other post my fulfillment needs are generally my life goals outside of the work place but I don't completely disregard goals related to work or my career path. That's an interesting point. Millennials tend to strive for work life balance as a whole. I wonder if the reality of most of our situations cause our fulfillment needs to be skewed towards life goals that are independent of work. Very very interesting point.
    It's cool. Just going off how you describe your life here, we are in very similar situations. Good luck with that interview.

Cannot respond to the rest at the moment, but have thoughts/will return.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]