MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    How long until Mole gets here?

Mal, you do realise that NZ and Australia are two different countries, right? Or are you just generally having a go at the antipodes?
    Mole's theories can't rescue you from the facts:

Did you know that, in 1901, when American was allowing anybody of any race to immigrate through Ellis Island, Australia enacted a White Australian policy know as "the Immigration Restriction Act 1901" which prevented non-Europeans from immigrating to Australia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy
    "The new Federal Parliament, as one of its first pieces of legislation, passed the Immigration Restriction Act 1901 to "place certain restrictions on immigration and... for the removal... of prohibited immigrants". The Act drew on similar legislation in South Africa. Edmund Barton, the prime minister, argued in support of the Bill with the following statement: "The doctrine of the equality of man was never intended to apply to the equality of the Englishman and the Chinaman."[10]

"The Attorney General tasked with drafting the legislation was Alfred Deakin. Deakin supported Barton's position over that of the Labor Party in drafting the Bill (the ALP wanted more direct methods of exclusion than the dictation test) and redacted the more vicious racism proposed for the text in his Second Reading of the Bill.[11] In seeking to justify the policy, Deakin said he believed that the Japanese and Chinese[12] might be a threat to the newly formed federation and it was this belief that led to legislation to ensure they would be kept out:

"It is not the bad qualities, but the good qualities of these alien races that make them so dangerous to us. It is their inexhaustible energy, their power of applying themselves to new tasks, their endurance and low standard of living that make them such competitors."

~

From reading Australian news stories, it's obvious that the White Australian psyche still survives to this day.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. I've chatted online with Kiwis and Aussies. Are you saying I am dumb?
    LOL. No, I was just being flippant. I was only wondering why you lumped us in with the Aussies.

With the rest of it you won't get much disagreement from many Kiwis. There's a general view that Australians are more racist, are oppressive towards the boat people, and are all crazy with their gang violence - not that we're perfect or anything.

INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

LOL. No, I was just being flippant. I was only wondering why you lumped us in with the Aussies.

With the rest of it you won't get much disagreement from many Kiwis. There's a general view that Australians are more racist, are oppressive towards the boat people, and are all crazy with their gang violence - not that we're perfect or anything.
    I didn't lump Aussies in with Kiwis. I've noticed through my 13 years or more of conversing with them both that there is a "sheep-shagger" mentality of Aussie towards Kiwi. There was one incident in which I made the mistake of sharing an MSN convo, a few years ago, between myself, an Aussie, and a Kiwi. I have never seen such fireworks, and not the pretty kind of fireworks.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I didn't lump Aussies in with Kiwis. I've noticed through my 13 years or more of conversing with them both that there is a "sheep-shagger" mentality of Aussie towards Kiwi.
    Well, if you ask me, Australians are a little too fascinated with the idea of us being sheep shaggers, if you catch my drift. Personally, I see it as latent projection...

There was one incident in which I made the mistake of sharing an MSN convo, a few years ago, between myself, an Aussie, and a Kiwi. I have never seen such fireworks, and not the pretty kind of fireworks.
    Oh, it's always a bit like that. Usually it's just ribbing that sounds more brutal and sincere than it really is. A lot of it is to do with us being much the same and yet different. Cultural similarities can breed more resentment/irritation than dissimilarities can, as well as a strong desire to distinguish ourselves from each other. That's why we like to do battle on the sports field and treat it like winning is a matter of life and death. We need to get that trans-Tasman aggression out somehow.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well, if you ask me, Australians are a little too fascinated with the idea of us being sheep shaggers, if you catch my drift. Personally, I see it as latent projection...

Oh, it's always a bit like that. Usually it's just ribbing that sounds more brutal and sincere than it really is. A lot of it is to do with us being much the same and yet different. Cultural similarities can breed more resentment/irritation than dissimilarities can, as well as a strong desire to distinguish ourselves from each other. That's why we like to do battle on the sports field and treat it like winning is a matter of life and death.
    I quite realize you aren't at war and you're not killing each other. Yet. I'm talking about the mentality behind it. You are white-washing, as stated in an article I cited. Always make Australia appear to be heaven on earth.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I think this thread is as good a platform as any to point out that people of Australia are all an essentially an oppressed population due to the deadliness of their fauna. I feel that the continuation of any manner of civilization on the Australian subcontinent--no matter how crude--ought to be celebrated as a triumph of the human spirit.

I have been personally been deeply been affected by my relationship with true survivors like fellow forum-goer @Maddy. Her resiliance even in the face of such desperate personal circumstances as studying for a pre-med degree at the University of Melbourne. For her sake and the sake lf those like her, I'm glad that we're finally holding serious discourse on the most pressing human rights crises of our time.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    I think this thread is as good a platform as any to point out that people of Australia are all an essentially an oppressed population due to the deadliness of their fauna. I feel that the continuation of any manner of civilization on the Australian subcontinent--no matter how crude--ought to be celebrated as a triumph of the human spirit.

I have been personally been deeply been affected by my relationship with true survivors like fellow forum-goer @Maddy. Her resiliance even in the face of such desperate personal circumstances as studying for a pre-med degree at the University of Melbourne. For her sake and the sake lf those like her, I'm glad that we're finally holding serious discourse on the most pressing human rights crises of our time.
    And what is that?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

And what is that?
    The fact that everything in Australia can kill you.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Rainy Day Member

My experience is that the average person here is not racist, and is generally kind and accepting. Although I live in an inner-city area that is very multicultural, and where leftists hold sway.

You might enjoy having a play with this, @Mal12345

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post

Watch out for drop bears, Maddy!