User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Give up cars? How about we just give up the gas and watch the arabs implode?

Tesla Motors

Unimodal, Inc

Zero-emissions transportation?

Not far away.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Give up cars? China's giving up bicycles! Cars=The Future, apparently. CNN.com - Bike ban for Shanghai - Dec. 9, 2003

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Give up cars? How about we just give up the gas and watch the arabs implode?
    We only get about 15% of our Gas from the arabs. We get more than that from Canada. More importantly, I think we'll see the grid explode if we tried to convert to EV quickly.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTJ

Well if there are grid fears, then we should get to work on renewable energy now, shouldn't we?

And for 15% of our gas from the Arabs, they sure seem to have a much bigger impact on its price.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Well if there are grid fears, then we should get to work on renewable energy now, shouldn't we?
    I agree completely. I'm not just talking power plants though, the physical grid would also need a lot of work to handle charging all those cars. Personally, I'd like to see the government pushing it a lot more than it is. (And, since the government does it for everything else, give it some long-term subsidies/tax breaks).

And for 15% of our gas from the Arabs, they sure seem to have a much bigger impact on its price.
    Yup, but I believe that's mostly due to the lack of spare capacity. And, the arabs happen to have a lot of supply disruptions for various political and terroristic issues.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTP

It's funny that this debate was going on exactly 100 years ago. Except in that case the pollution culprit was the common horse and our solution was the "horseless carriage", aka automobile.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    In the US, I do *not* see a country without cars (for the middle class, at least) anytime within in the next 100 years. It would take a very thorough and disasterous collapse of the whole economy to get rid of independent transportation.
    Agreed. I do hope a solution is put in place before the economy collapses though. Just so people won't panic as much if they know for sure there's a solid option.

MBTI
    infp

Denmark is pretty close. The guy who cuts my hair is from Denmark, moved here when he was in his 20's, is now in his 50's or 60's. He told me that Saudi Arabia held an embargo on Denmark for some reason and Denmark had almost no oil/gas for a year or so, so the cities were built without it in mind and they didn't ever get into automobiles once the embargo was sorted out. Huge portios of Copenhgen are pedestrian or bicycle only, some ares are bus/taxi only, widespread public transit, ect.

But here in North America, I think cities would have to be completely redesigned and planned for that to work. They simply arn't built for walking around as they are now. I know a guy who knows some city planners and they bassically told him the idea is to make driving in cars as simple as possible, and they even said that that is actually a poor way to design a city, but it's in demand so they have to do it.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Give up cars? China's giving up bicycles! Cars=The Future, apparently. CNN.com - Bike ban for Shanghai - Dec. 9, 2003
    Fantastic. Let's hope they make a water-powered car. :steam:
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Denmark is pretty close. The guy who cuts my hair is from Denmark, moved here when he was in his 20's, is now in his 50's or 60's. He told me that Saudi Arabia held an embargo on Denmark for some reason and Denmark had almost no oil/gas for a year or so, so the cities were built without it in mind and they didn't ever get into automobiles once the embargo was sorted out. Huge portios of Copenhgen are pedestrian or bicycle only, some ares are bus/taxi only, widespread public transit, ect.

But here in North America, I think cities would have to be completely redesigned and planned for that to work. They simply arn't built for walking around as they are now. I know a guy who knows some city planners and they bassically told him the idea is to make driving in cars as simple as possible, and they even said that that is actually a poor way to design a city, but it's in demand so they have to do it.
    People are just under the impression that they need a car. The reality is: People need a car to keep the current standard of living they have. Human beings survived fine before cars, and they will survive after cars.

I have not got a problem with cars per se. I have a problem with using up our natural resources for this luxury item. If we find a water-powered car that does not throw up crap into the air and basically the power supply recycles itself, cool beans.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.