User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default 2013 - "Best Year In Human History"

I heard a lot of 2013 bashing today (ok that was kind of fun), but I'm not sure why people think it was such a bad year. Negative things did happen, but taken in perspective, things are going pretty damn well. Then again, some people just like to be negative because. And the news tends to shine light on negative events but positive ones not so much.

So here is an article I find more reasonable about the current state of the globe. To me it is great to see the progress we are making and I have a generally positive outlook towards life on this planet as we move forward.

What do you think?

MBTI
    INTP

Also I think people see a need to be so negative because they think to be positive is to, perhaps, stick their heads in the sand and be complacent. If we aren't complaining, how will we know things still need to change? Positivity can feel like glossing over glaring problems, but we should at least try to be balanced.

Socionics
    ILI

Very interesting article and I agree, 2013 has been an exceptional year for the global community. Now we can look forward to 2014 when the Chechens attack the Sochi Winter Olympics with IEDs.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Putin prevents or maybe delays a war. Obama, a failure as usual. Israel getting angry. Trans Pacific Partnership conspiring as people are on holidays.

Idk about the 'state of affairs in the world' but the second half of 2013 sucked. People think it was a bad year because bad things happened to them.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Didn't they finally stop the discussions about that stupid debt ceiling thing? That seems good. God the constant hysteria about that every 6 months was annoying.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

It depends who you ask. For Egypt it could have been better. For the Philippines it could have been better. For those killed or injured in the Boston bombing it could have been better. For the soldier murdered my terrorists in London and those who suffered backlash it could have been better.

In my view though it was an all right year. I would hold back from considering a year the best unless it featured either a) the completion of a working nuclear fusion reactor b) an orbital solar power plant which can send power back to Earth c) a return to the Moon d) A Martian landing e) creation of a Moon base (3D printed). If none of the above then I would pick the year Star Wars episode 7 comes out.

MBTI
    INTP

It's cliche but this is the best time to be alive, ever.

All the way from the Omo remains (I know s/he wasn't the first homo sapiens, but certainly the oldest known individual with modern human features) person to now, we've never had it so good. Mr/Ms Omo had to hunt game and gather fruit, we don't by and large. We can communicate to anywhere in the world, which even 300 years ago was a fantasy. And simple conditions that would have killed people long ago are curable today.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    It depends who you ask. For Egypt it could have been better. For the Philippines it could have been better. For those killed or injured in the Boston bombing it could have been better. For the soldier murdered my terrorists in London and those who suffered backlash it could have been better.

In my view though it was an all right year. I would hold back from considering a year the best unless it featured either a) the completion of a working nuclear fusion reactor b) an orbital solar power plant which can send power back to Earth c) a return to the Moon d) A Martian landing e) creation of a Moon base (3D printed). If none of the above then I would pick the year Star Wars episode 7 comes out.
    China returned to the Moon in 2013.

http://www.space.com/23968-china-moo...r-landing.html
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    China returned to the Moon in 2013.

http://www.space.com/23968-china-moo...r-landing.html
    I was referring to manned missions. But that's a start.