User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I didn't mean it that literally. I don't even know what he said apart from skimming this thread. I meant personally intolerant, I didn't know that meant legally.
    What do you mean by personally intolerant? I don't like Brussels sprouts. Would you call me personally intolerant of Brussels sprouts?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    'Pendulum swing' has more than one definition in common usage......I was referring to the social pattern of people behaving like bullying asses whenever a previously marginalized or minority viewpoint gains social or political dominance, not suggesting that all social changes are likely to revert back at some point in the future. My other point was that movement towards social liberalism on one issue does not inevitably equate to movement toward social liberalism on all or most issues.
    You might be wasting energy here. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What do you mean by personally intolerant? I don't like Brussels sprouts. Would you call me personally intolerant of Brussels sprouts?
    Yes... I probably wouldn't word it like that, but sure, why not. I wasn't aware the word 'tolerant' had such broad implications.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    There was no moral accusation. Although it's interesting that you associate confederate alignment with bad. I just see the ghost of the past still jostling around, rather weakly.
    "The ghost of the past" that had nothing to do with the thread in question, so why bring it up if not to implicitly marginalize Southerners, and by implication anything associated with us, in relation to other Americans? And why should denigrating Southerners in such a fashion (which, regardless of your intent, is generally the purpose behind such extraneous comments) be tolerated as a minor negative character trait at worst, while denigrating non-celibate gay people is viewed as an inexcusable moral failure that supersedes all other aspects of a person?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    Yes... I probably wouldn't word it like that, but sure, why not. I wasn't aware the word 'tolerant' had such broad implications.
    Well, based upon that definition I'm intolerant of Christians, and that feeds their persecution complex.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well, based upon that definition I'm intolerant of Christians, and that feeds their persecution complex.
    It bears repeating...

That "solid majority" is shrinking and they'll soon be a minority within their own religion. Conservative Christians have fought every bit of social progress for the last couple hundred years. They've been on the wrong side of history on pretty much every social issue. I don't feel the slightest bit of sympathy for those people feeling marginalized (because they're not allowed to enforce their religion on others). This is the same group of people that wants creationism taught in science class as an alternate "theory" to evolution. Fuck those people. The sooner they die, the better off we'll be.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Mostly, I just keep wondering what Willie said to his dad after all this.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It bears repeating...
    What actions am I advocating to eliminate them from existence? None, because any such action could easily be turned around on me. That's where I differ from conservative Christians. They would gladly impose their beliefs on me through the force of law. I would never do the same to them. The fact that I enjoy watching them cry and complain like petulant children as they see their influence wane is inconsequential.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    "The ghost of the past" that had nothing to do with the thread in question, so why bring it up if not to implicitly marginalize Southerners, and by implication anything associated with us, in relation to other Americans? And why should denigrating Southerners in such a fashion (which, regardless of your intent, is generally the purpose behind such extraneous comments) be tolerated as a minor negative character trait at worst, while denigrating non-celibate gay people is viewed as an inexcusable moral failure that supersedes all other aspects of a person?
    Once again, I denigrated nobody. My intent is paramount, since it doesn't allow me to answer your question which isn't applicable to me.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

They would gladly impose their beliefs on me through the force of law. I would never do the same to them.
    Supreme Court will take up controversial Obamacare provision on contraception