User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 115

  1. #51
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Let's call it in 15 years, and not during some minor conservative victory in a previously Confederate state, eh?

    Keep fighting the good fight, may your musket fire strike those Union ghost soldiers true.
    My, how morally superior you are to this Robertson person

    Incidentally, support for gun rights and (to a lesser extent) opposition to abortion in most instances has increased alongside greater support for gay marriage and marijuana legalization, so there's hardly an inevitable movement towards the marginalization of socially 'conservative' positions in general. People will continue to have heterodox belief systems that necessitate actual tolerance for people with opposing viewpoints, as opposed to dichotomous moral posturing and outright demonization-its fucking annoying no matter who is doing it, and one of the purposes of recognizing the existence of 'pendulum swings' in public opinion is to speak out against such excesses as they occur, not excuse or celebrate it as karmic retribution towards people who disagree with you.

  2. #52
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    I really only know what I've seen on facebook. From that it looks as though he considers homosexuality in the same category with bestiality and grouped gay people in with terrorists. Regardless of whether or not one believes that homosexuality is an abomination to God, most of us know, if not love a gay person or two at least. So for me, the idea that the gay people I care about being considered on par with people that have sex with animals or blow up small children is pretty damn offensive. For several of my facebook friends the idea that a private company could suspend someone for saying stuff like that publicly indicates an infringement of freedom of speech and is evidence of the persecution of Christians.

    I'm a disenfranchised Evangelical myself. For a long time, I thought the same way they do and I believed a lot of the stuff they said. Then I took a step back and thought about how I would feel if, say, I was not a Christian and my children were being expected to sing Silent Night in their public school (because they are here). I had heard for years on Christian radio how hostile public schools were to Christians, then I broke down and put my kids in public school out of necessity. Imagine my surprise.

    They really have no idea to what degree they have dominated culture, so when it slips away a little bit, they get very agitated. They do not hesitate to do the kind of thing to others that is being done to this Duck Dynasty man. They are trying to pass laws to ban Sharia Law in a lot of states because they believe it's a real threat. I'm not making that up.

    Myself, I don't think he'll be off the show for long. Dog the Bounty Hunter did several seasons on A&E after his N-word scandal, after all. As soon as they believe it's cooled down enough not to cost them money, he'll be welcomed back into their warm embrace.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  3. #53
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    He was asked for his opinion in an interview.

    It's not like he brings any of this up unprovoked on the show.
    Yes, but his public image isn't limited to what he says on the show. If he wanted to promote his Christian values without getting shit for it he shouldn't have sold his soul to the media. He made a business decision that entails great sacrifices to one's personal life and behavior.

    He probably didn't even alienate much of his target audience by saying that, but he's representing the network and advertisers who I'm sure do not want to align themselves with his views.

  4. #54
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    My, how morally superior you are to this Robertson person

    Incidentally, support for gun rights and (to a lesser extent) opposition to abortion in most instances has increased alongside greater support for gay marriage and marijuana legalization, so there's hardly an inevitable movement towards the marginalization of socially 'conservative' positions in general. People will continue to have heterodox belief systems that necessitate actual tolerance for people with opposing viewpoints, as opposed to dichotomous moral posturing and outright demonization-its fucking annoying no matter who is doing it, and one of the purposes of recognizing the existence of 'pendulum swings' in public opinion is to speak out against such excesses as they occur, not excuse or celebrate it as karmic retribution towards people who disagree with you.
    Let me know when public opinion inevitably swings back in favor of slavery like a pendulum. Also let me know when that happens for eliminating women's suffrage and the age of sexual consent. If these things really are on a pendulum, then they're coming back eventually.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #55
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    What I find funny about this whole situation is that the Honey Boo Boo clan are supposed to be the most embarrassing thing to happen to rednecks/the south but even they aren't backwards enough to be intolerant like this.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    What I find funny about this whole situation is that the Honey Boo Boo clan are supposed to be the most embarrassing thing to happen to rednecks/the south but even they aren't backwards enough to be intolerant like this.
    How is he being intolerant? Did he say he wants to execute all homosexuals or pass laws banning homosexuality? Maybe that's what he believes, but I didn't read anything about him saying that.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #57
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    How is he being intolerant? Did he say he wants to execute all homosexuals or pass laws banning homosexuality? Maybe that's what he believes, but I didn't read anything about him saying that.
    I didn't mean it that literally. I don't even know what he said apart from skimming this thread. I meant personally intolerant, I didn't know that meant legally.

  8. #58
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    My, how morally superior you are to this Robertson person

    Incidentally, support for gun rights and (to a lesser extent) opposition to abortion in most instances has increased alongside greater support for gay marriage and marijuana legalization, so there's hardly an inevitable movement towards the marginalization of socially 'conservative' positions in general. People will continue to have heterodox belief systems that necessitate actual tolerance for people with opposing viewpoints, as opposed to dichotomous moral posturing and outright demonization-its fucking annoying no matter who is doing it, and one of the purposes of recognizing the existence of 'pendulum swings' in public opinion is to speak out against such excesses as they occur, not excuse or celebrate it as karmic retribution towards people who disagree with you.
    There was no moral accusation. Although it's interesting that you associate confederate alignment with bad. I just see the ghost of the past still jostling around, rather weakly.

  9. #59
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Let me know when public opinion inevitably swings back in favor of slavery like a pendulum. Also let me know when that happens for eliminating women's suffrage and the age of sexual consent. If these things really are on a pendulum, then they're coming back eventually.
    'Pendulum swing' has more than one definition in common usage......I was referring to the social pattern of people behaving like bullying asses whenever a previously marginalized or minority viewpoint gains social or political dominance, not suggesting that all social changes are likely to revert back at some point in the future. My other point was that movement towards social liberalism on one issue does not inevitably equate to movement toward social liberalism on all or most issues.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    'Pendulum swing' has more than one definition in common usage......I was referring to the social pattern of people behaving like bullying asses whenever a previously marginalized or minority viewpoint gains social or political dominance, not suggesting that all social changes are likely to revert back at some point in the future. My other point was that movement towards social liberalism on one issue does not inevitably equate to movement toward social liberalism on all or most issues.
    This "pendulum swing" phenomenon you describe is a media construct. Public opinion rarely changes quickly. It just happens that sometimes the media notices that public opinion shifted on an issue (mostly because old people die), then they construct a hyped up narrative because hype sells.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Duck Dynasty
    By Thalassa in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM
  2. Ducks and sex "arms race"
    By rivercrow in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 01:53 AM
  3. The AFLAC duck has died!!!!
    By Patches in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
  4. Nice Weather for Ducks
    By Nonsensical in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 06:51 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO