User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I heard about something about the thing about this show I was expecting murder or scandal this is uninteresting and same ole shit.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I might be more considerate of Christians views on issues like this if they were ever consistent. There are hundreds of rules in the Bible they choose not to follow. Why aren't they protesting the shellfish industry?

Advocating that the religious not be able to force their religion onto others is not the same as killing everyone of that religion. It's not even the same as saying Christians shouldn't be citizens (something GHWB said about atheists). Obamacare isn't telling people they can't believe in Jesus anymore. People can still believe whatever they want.
    ^Needs logic and coherence.

Nobody said that Obamacare is anti-religion. But it IS anti-something.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100705485.html
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

That's right, no response. Of course.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

The way I see it, the issue is here is not so much "Is Conservative Christianity tolerated in the media" but "Did the suits at A&E make a good business decision?"

Robertson made a lot of comments about homosexuality and pre-Jim Crow blacks in the south that I knew upon reading that article would be pretty damned offensive. While I didn't agree with the man, I feel like what A&E SHOULD have done is release a statement stating something to the effect of, "Mr. Robertsons views do not represent the views of A&E or it's partners and advertisers" and then see what happened after that but otherwise do nothing else. I don't think anyone would batted an eyelash in any bit of surprise if the execs as A&E acted like..... business executives of a company that has a product (Duck Dynasty) that is making them *SHIT* loads of cash and money.

The idea that conservative Christian's ideas are under attack in the media has merit if only because, from where I'm sitting anywhere, their country's socio-moral ideals seem to be shifting toward something that doesn't jive very well with orthodoxy. Christianity, as a whole today, is very much changing into something it wasn't many decades ago.

As such, I'm not surprised they feel the way that they feel. That being said, I feel their claims that conservative Christianity should be tolerated and accepted agreeable (I absolutely feel they should have the right to believe what they believe, even I think they're crazy stupid for hold their beliefs) but I can not help but feel a sense of irony given their own attitudes toward those like me: They seem very interested in asserting their beliefs to be tolerated and accepted but do not seem to hold much the same attitude about beliefs that do not match up to their own. In fact, they often appear to act like they're being FORCED, coerced, or otherwise being dragged kicking and screaming into having to tolerate beliefs around them (hence the siege mentality I seem to note amongst a large group of them). I can empathize with them about having to tolerate things around you that you think are wrong or stupid (I have to do it every. Single. Day. Of my life) but that's about as much as my feelings toward them extend.

The culture is shifting away from them and instead of adapting and changing their message, they seem to be doing the equivalent of throwing a tantrum. The results speaks for itself I think.

I personally think the guys at A&E over-reacted but that's just me and I fully expect Phil to appear back on the show once their shareholders start to feel the pinch. I imagine another network would be MORE than happy to pick up the show, given how much money it makes.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    They seem very interested in asserting their beliefs to be tolerated and accepted but do not seem to hold much the same attitude about beliefs that do not match up to their own.
    Could the same not be said of the left?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Could the same not be said of the left?
    Absolutely!!

So I suppose the question is: How the hell do we figure out how to get along?
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Absolutely!!

So I suppose the question is: How the hell do we figure out how to get along?
    Thunderdome

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

As for the show, I really couldn't care. Private company. If it's a government TV program then it would need to give conservative Christians equal opportunity to speak, but it's not. That said, I don't see why you'd take the show off air... is it really surprising that they're against homosexuality? Wasn't that obvious already? I thought it was. I also think most TV viewers are smart enough to know that the views of the people on the show are not necessarily the views of the network. It's reality TV, after all. The idea is looking into a subculture that you're not a part of.

Silly of GLAAD to say the views aren't Christian, too. Not really their place to decide someone else's religious views.

That said -

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Who isn't tolerating conservative Christians? I tolerate their existence every day.
    Living in the American South, this is how I feel. About half of the people I work closely with are conservative Christians. I do not see anyone attempting to take their freedoms away. They have long had a majority hold on the South and probably will long continue to, which is fine. However, I do think they have political privileges that other groups do not have, and I am in favor of abolishing those.

As far as homosexuality goes... if one believes homosexuality is bad, one has the freedom to opt out of homosexual relationships. One may also promote that ideology if they choose because we are a country that protects freedom of speech. But it cannot be enforced in government because government is for all Americans, not just the conservative Christian ones. I think some conservative Christians are afraid that things will move from their religion no longer being enforced to their religion being enforced against, but that is not the stopping point moderate liberals seek - most seem to seek a government free of anything to do with religion. True "separation of Church and State" means them being two separate entities, not the State forbidding the Church. I have zero desire to see anyone's religious practices regulated outside the bounds of causing explicit harm to others, and I believe the same is true for most moderate liberals that I know. I believe the general opinion is that non-Christians and more liberal Christians have nothing against conservative Christians except that particularly in certain areas of the country, they have laws that cater explicitly to them and against other socio-religious groups. Once those laws are gone, there is no desire to regulate conservative Christians any more than there is desire to regulate Mormons or Wiccans or conservative Muslims or any other religious group with social restrictions.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Thunderdome

That's cheating. It's a well known fact that between the two parties, the Republicans are the shit kickers. That's like throwing Jason Statham into a ring with Justin Bieber
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

This thing is so stupid. One gay friend of mine cracks on certain behaviors some (gays) do. The retarded network executives don't seem to care for and respect differing views. Might be interesting to see how they like it if two friends were to make fun together..one gay and one straight both with similar views. The execs should be ridiculed because they are disrespectful.

Just because somebody is gay doesn't mean no gays crack on gays. Do they need to be told there's all sorts of people with unlimited differing views? Naive.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'