User Tag List

First 23456 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The fact that you can't see why without explanation speaks volumes.
    All of it good, I imagine.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It has probably been said, but the best way to get hoards of money is to not give it away.

Meh. I grew up teetering on the edge of poverty with a single mom, and whenever rich people helped us they always gave loans and strong-armed her to pay it back, and yeah, that sometimes resulted in her children not having food. Most wouldn't even give loans, and it was typically the more struggling folks who were a help. I remember our old car breaking down on a steep mountain road, and we coasted into a little town in Montana. The local mechanic was dirt poor, but let us stay with their family overnight until the car was fixed. I remember playing with his little girl who was all covered in dirt, barefoot, and had a tear in her earlobe where an earring was torn out.

The wealthy never tried to impress us, so I had the opportunity to see their culture sans the masks.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    All of it good, I imagine.
    It's not a good or bad thing.

Just demonstrates a fundamental inability (be it due to life experience or ideological constraint) to see the problem from the other sides point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    To the extent that I let it be taken in taxes, yes. I don't think the government should tax 100% of everyone one's wealth, but that's not on a matter of principle, it's because I think it is a poor policy that will yield counter-productive results. In our society today, I think for more things are private and profit driven than ought to be, but the government cannot do everything. People need to have enough money to actually practice some kind of commerce, and I view things people purchase with money as private in a sense that the money itself is not.
    This sounds like current status quo of progressive taxation except with a potential increase in top-end income taxation rates. This aligns with Buffet. He's been quite vocal about it.

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

"If you could choose between world peace and Bill Gates' money, what color would your Lamborghini be?" -Facebook

Actually Warren Buffet donates a lot. Just search Google.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

super wealthy people create jobs. I think people should quit asking them for money and get a job.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's not a good or bad thing.

Just demonstrates a fundamental inability (be it due to life experience or ideological constraint) to see the problem from the other sides point of view.
    It was a question.

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    This sounds like current status quo of progressive taxation except with a potential increase in top-end income taxation rates. This aligns with Buffet. He's been quite vocal about it.
    Sure, he is to an extent. I would probably go further, but frankly the middle-class probably need to pay more taxes, too. I'm also fairly supportive of the currently third rail policy of the estate and inheritance taxes.

But policy aside, I took the OP's question to be basically about morality and psychology.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Here's a video clip about the studies I mentioned in my earlier post. It's kind of fascinating and horrifying. It makes me think Jesus really had a point with the eye of a needle thing.

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

WhoCares

It's not enough they've created corporations that employ thousands, invest in new technologies, and actively contribute to the evolution of humanity? From reading this thread I've picked up a couple of odd assumptions..

- Rich people have no right to their own wealth merely because some people here can't fathom their level of wealth. It's kind of like, I'll never earn more than $200k p.a. So you shouldn't either.

- rich people have no idea what to do with their money because they have so much of it. Really? You dont think someone who knows how to create that kind of money wouldn't also know what to do with it? A poor person can win the lottery and will be poor again within 5 years despite their good fortune. A rich person can lose everything and make it all back again within 5 years. I'm pretty convinced they know what tod o with their money.

The thing is, a lot of people in this thread do not understand why rich people don't do what they would do with the same amount of money. Of course you don't, that is why they have billions and you have what you have. Just because we do not understand something doesn't mean its inherently bad.

Someone who has billions has created 100's of billions for others in terms of career prospects, investment in new tehcnology that benefits us all and also in the arts, new enterprise and education. Their contirbution to defined charities may be tiny, but their contribution to society at large is likely to be far more than any of us will create in our lifetime. I support the unfettered existence of the vain and repulsive rich, without them I wouldn't have an iPhone, car or a career from which to build assets of my own.