User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTp

I went through a corking phase around age 10. Of course I produced yards and yard of this stuff and had no idea what to do with it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    How do businesses overseas manage to fund longer leave then?
    First of all we prudently regulated our financial and banking sector. And as a result we have had 23, going on 24 years, of uninterrupted growth sailing right on through not one but three major world recessions. And we have had no need to bail out any bank or financial institution.

Next we have a genuinely representative democracy. We not only have a Party of Business, we have a Party of Workers. And not only that but we have compulsive voting so we know what the people want.

We are a successful migrant nation with a working policy of multiculturalism.

This groundwork enables us to provide 26 weeks of parental leave at full pay.

Physical and psychological bonding occurs between those in olfactory contact about eight hours a day.

This is interesting for us because we are not in olfactory contact at all.

This means we are not bonding with one another.

Yet most are looking for a partner.

But the normal process of bonding can't take place.

So we are thrown back on our frustrated egos. And frustration leads to anger which is expressed here in facetiousness, sarcasm, insults, arguing, vulgarity and trolling.

For most of us there is no hope here. The best we can hope for is to grieve the loss of opportunity to bond on Typology Central. And seek opportunities where we can breathe the other in.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

And frustration leads to anger which is expressed here in facetiousness, sarcasm, insults, arguing, vulgarity and trolling.
    Actually, fear leads to anger, which leads to hate, which leads to suffering, which leads to Jar Jar Binks.

And I think touch is pretty important for bonding, too. Though I wouldn't discount the role of smell. But... ignore the role of touch at your peril.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ixxx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Physical and psychological bonding occurs between those in olfactory contact about eight hours a day.

This is interesting for us because we are not in olfactory contact at all.

This means we are not bonding with one another.

Yet most are looking for a partner.

But the normal process of bonding can't take place.

So we are thrown back on our frustrated egos. And frustration leads to anger which is expressed here in facetiousness, sarcasm, insults, arguing, vulgarity and trolling.

For most of us there is no hope here. The best we can hope for is to grieve the loss of opportunity to bond on Typology Central. And seek opportunities where we can breathe the other in.

i found it unusual you said bonding is physical. But, it's so simple.

i think that, many people have never had any true bonds.

maybe due to busy schedules, the way they have been bought up with de-emphasis to the physical (body, environment), most people believe the mind trumps the body, how is first in command of the body, that the body is not important at all. that it doesn't actually matter to respect the body. there are a lot of reasons, i think. i don't know for sure, that is. (maybe especially now that everything has gone digital.)

your idea brings me back to a time when i was a child, for 8 years i used to spend every waking minute of my day with a boy the same age. we used to do everything together, sleep together, take baths together, go down the slide together. i was told before he used to be alone most of the times (busy parents) and play video games all day, have temperamental problems such as throwing microwaves all over the place, doing badly in school, but for some reason i had my mind set since i met him, that i would be his friend. whenever his mom would leave him at my house so I could help him with his schoolwork. not that i was that good a student, i basically just helped him finish his homework so that he would have free time with me to play outside. and i would make him spend most of our days outside. just messing about.

i can't imagine having a relationship like this with most anyone, anymore. it's almost too strange of a request.

whenever people talk about "relationships" i just get a strange knot in my stomach. because in my head i am just seeing a very intensely awkward situation unfold, of a man trying to hit it off with a woman he doesn't even know. it makes me groan in embarrassment for them. and also feel a bit bad. that humanity has come to this. that adulthood is the first time people do these kinds of things. and seeing adults in action like this, well this is why i think adults are dumber than children many, if not all the time!

because they might get married, but actually not know each other so well. maybe since they are busy with work. maybe since neither of them likely knows how to love. and with each passing day each person changes, there is something new to learn. and it feels like they are actually drifting apart with each day. but who would be the deviant to question and point out they weren't actually in love? no one, at least not in the face. that would be taboo.

ideally when i would grow up, i'd get a job in sync with the person i cherished, so i could continue the old days of childhood, working alongside him. doing something we liked to do, so it would be play, but with bigger toys, different puzzles.

it would happily ever after. if he were still here.

maybe people might scoff and think it is weird. the physical closeness. that they would rather do something else more interesting, be somewhere else better. than to just merely hang out. just messing around.

but if those moments were stopped, frozen, and replayed everyday for an eternity, i think i would be fine with that. i think that would be heaven.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I asked my non-gay son what he wanted for Christmas this year, and he said he was actually experimenting with knitting and wanted some knitting paraphernalia. (I only distinguish preference in case someone assumes it was my other son and tries to write it off.)

The times, they are a-changin' [back].
    From "How to succeed in business without really trying":
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Elodia

it makes me groan in embarrassment for them. and also feel a bit bad. that humanity has come to this. that adulthood is the first time people do these kinds of things. and seeing adults in action like this, well this is why i think adults are dumber than children many, if not all the time!
    I never had anything like what you described as a kid.
    because they might get married, but actually not know each other so well. maybe since they are busy with work. maybe since neither of them likely knows how to love. and with each passing day each person changes, there is something new to learn. and it feels like they are actually drifting apart with each day.
    I don't feel that I change that much from day to day. I don't think people really change that much from day to day. Sure, they grow, but it's more gradual. It's not a constant change. It happens either gradually, or perhaps in spikes. I'm not sure you can expect a person not to grow.

maybe people might scoff and think it is weird. the physical closeness. that they would rather do something else more interesting, be somewhere else better. than to just merely hang out. just messing around.
    I wouldn't call it weird. I've just found that doing that all the time would get old for me. I want someone to have adventures with. A relationship is cool because you get to share things with someone else. My body is only a small part of that.

I probably shouldn't have responded to this post at all. I'm probably just crushing someone's dreams. Disregard if you like.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I would be exceedingly surprised if we ever institute a year of paid maternity leave. We have 12 weeks of unpaid leave currently.

The cost of a year of paid leave is too much for businesses to be willing to bear. Now I could see maybe 12 weeks of paid leave, but that would be the absolute limit.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Why on earth, given any reasonable alternatives, would entrepreneurs hire a woman of child-bearing age if she's likely to unexpectedly take a year off at any time, forcing them to put up with massive productivity decline from her absence/temporary replacement as well as the wasted expense of her salary? Three months can be compensated for with strengths in other areas (and its in everyone's interest to reasonably subsidize families with children), but an entire year? And if try to avert that unintended consequence by simply extending that leave to male parents as well, you transfer the problem onto all young workers, resulting in higher levels of unemployed and under-employed young adults (a problem which I believe the EU has had for quite awhile now, and that is already getting worse in North America). Basically, you make things easier for current adults (unless they lose their job from the effects of higher expenses and lower productivity) by making things much more difficult for new adults.
    Because in addition to being the moral thing to do, other nations have done it and the evidence says this:

It is economically cheaper for the nation to have infants get their needs met in a critical period than to have a bunch of those infants grow into adults with addiction issues, ADHD, mental health issues, and general not being able to get their shit together because they're not securely rooted (what's that economic statistic on how much employees taking sick days costs America?). I was also under the understanding that most governments subsidize at least part of the paycheque so it's not all on the employer.

Americans are also spending more public tax dollars per capita to run their dysfunctional pre-Obamacare* health care system that only publicly funds some ER visits and extreme cases than Canadians are paying per capita to run a health care system that everyone is welcome to. Because then many people go to the doctor and get treatment early on. It's like car mechanics.

TL;DR: You're forgetting to consider biological critical periods and the long-term benefits and costs of maximizing them.

Just because it is not intuitive to you doesn't mean it isn't a better economic system.

*This doesn't imply that I think Obamacare is functional. I think a basic universal single-payer system with the opportunity to buy elite packages that level up from the basic would be functional for America.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The first part seems self-evident, considering the actual gender breakdown in the field. I'd be inclined to disagree with the second part, though again, I don't think we can know that. I think the cultural influence is way stronger than you do, I guess we've established this.

Today, sewing is thought of as a woman thing. Men are often considered "girlymen" if they like to knit or sew. But that's not based on any kind of natural inclination, IMO. Most tailors were men 100, 200 years ago.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wY_Np-VEN4...ssellknits.jpg

Our centre runs a mental health group with knitting as an activity to promote a positive environment where individuals feel comfortable to discuss their personal struggles with MI. Another that targets young men and cooking skills. Great participation rate.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Anecdote time:

My 6-year-old son just came in and said, "I noticed something...women don't need saving anymore."

Don't ask me where he got that from...I've no idea.