User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    I have it! It's pretty cool. I used to be obsessed with alternate history. Ever read Bring the Jubilee?
    No, sounds interesting. I never really knew there was so much alternate history out there lol.

What might have been if the American colonies hadn't violently revolted against lawful authority 1776?

Well, institutional slavery would have ended in 1833, women were likely to be emancipated in 1900, and today the USA would be having a Royal Commission into the Sexual Abuse of Children.

The USA would have kept its sense of humour along with the rest of the English speaking world.

And instead of worrying about being sincere or phoney, the Americans would be worrying about being amusing or boring.

And instead of having two Parties of Business, the USA would have on Party of Business and one Party of Labor.

There would be no gun culture in the USA.

And with compulsory voting the USA would know what the people wanted.

Then the USA would be just like us.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    What might have been if the American colonies hadn't violently revolted against lawful authority 1776?

Well, institutional slavery would have ended in 1833, women were likely to be emancipated in 1900, and today the USA would be having a Royal Commission into the Sexual Abuse of Children.

The USA would have kept its sense of humour along with the rest of the English speaking world.

And instead of worrying about being sincere or phoney, the Americans would be worrying about being amusing or boring.

And instead of having two Parties of Business, the USA would have on Party of Business and one Party of Labor.

There would be no gun culture in the USA.

And with compulsory voting the USA would know what the people wanted.

Then the USA would be just like us.
    Well, in this case, the British Empire may have never waned, for the American revolution was the inspiration for other countries to declare independence and fight for independence, the most notable being India. I would also conclude that Britain would have had all of its soldiers directed towards the European theater of war since America would only need a small garrison, meaning that Britain would have the potential to reconquer Hanover, which at the time I believe was a client state of either Prussia or Austria. The British army would also have the opportunity to amass more (the many British deaths in the American revolution would be erased and those soldiers would be able to act in Europe) and possibly match Napoleon Bonaparte on the mainland and end his campaign before it truly began, especially if they controlled Hanover before the campaign began. In this sense, the British Empire would in fact become much more powerful than its previous iteration would hope to achieve. Fast forwarding much further might show that WWI and WWII may never have happened, for Britain would most likely occupy Prussia, Hanover, and possibly parts of France before the turn of the 1900s. Very interesting.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

George Bush is not elected President. The future as depicted in Back to the Future II becomes a reality.

What if there had been no Islam? Would the Byzantine Empire's growth had continued unhindered?
    It would have been gobbled up someone else or just become a lot of smaller entities. The Byzantine Empire was kind of falling apart even before the Turks showed up, because of infighting and conflicts with the Latin Christians. They were severely weakened when the Crusaders sacked Byzantium, and never really recovered.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Well, in this case, the British Empire may have never waned, for the American revolution was the inspiration for other countries to declare independence and fight for independence, the most notable being India. I would also conclude that Britain would have had all of its soldiers directed towards the European theater of war since America would only need a small garrison, meaning that Britain would have the potential to reconquer Hanover, which at the time I believe was a client state of either Prussia or Austria. The British army would also have the opportunity to amass more (the many British deaths in the American revolution would be erased and those soldiers would be able to act in Europe) and possibly match Napoleon Bonaparte on the mainland and end his campaign before it truly began, especially if they controlled Hanover before the campaign began. In this sense, the British Empire would in fact become much more powerful than its previous iteration would hope to achieve. Fast forwarding much further might show that WWI and WWII may never have happened, for Britain would most likely occupy Prussia, Hanover, and possibly parts of France before the turn of the 1900s. Very interesting.
    Quite so.

And remember the USA would have remained part of the British Empire. What a shame to loose you.

As a little boy I was dressed as a Redcoat, in particular, a Grenadier Guard with a large Busby, (a bearskin cap). If you had remained sensibly within the British Empire, you could have joined me dressed as a Grenadier Guard.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

What I find fascinating with "what if" threads, is that they reveal how deeply biased people are, how they project their Ego on history, and how deeply chauvinistic they can be when there is no boundary to their imagination.

For instance, what if the most despicable nation of history never existed: England? You would have a peaceful Europe with a big French-German-Italian conglomerate, the most scientifically advanced nation would be Ireland, and in North America everybody would probably speak French and Spanish, yet in the same be mostly of native American origin (since they wouldn't have been ruthlessly exterminated by the genocidal English maniacs).
    And Australia would still belong to their rightful owners, the aboriginal people.

The world would be a far better place, a fairer one with less greed, less prejudice, less racism and less conflict.

(would it?)
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

If the Byzantines were not met by an Islamic (or at the beginning of the Byzantines, Zoroastrian), I'm sure that they would have expanded, but this also entails more than merely the Byzantines if we removed the Islamic peoples, for the Moores would never have warred against the Early Spanish kingdoms. Truth be told, the Byzantines would be able to conquer the entirety of the Middle East (assuming that no faction had arisen in place of the Arabs), and the early Spanish would have been able to conquer from present day Morocco to Tunisia.
    Why would early Spanish kingdoms have conquered North Africa?

North Africa was more populated, was more advanced, had better armies and technologies... And Southern Spain (Hispania Baetica) was already populated by a majority of Berber speaking people.
    I guess North Africa would have conquered Spain pretty easily (just like what happened for real). You would just have had a large Christian Orthodox realm dominated by Berbers, and possibly influenced by the Byzantines.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The British army would also have the opportunity to amass more (the many British deaths in the American revolution would be erased and those soldiers would be able to act in Europe) and possibly match Napoleon Bonaparte on the mainland and end his campaign before it truly began, especially if they controlled Hanover before the campaign began.
    By 1800, France was three times more populated than Great Britain. It was the demographic giant of Western Europe, on par with Russia.
    So the British army would still remain rather small in comparison to continental ones. Remember that in Waterloo, British forces only represented barely a fourth of the total Ally coalition (the large majority of them being German).

7w8 SCUxI

What if Lincoln hadn't been assassinated? Would the Reconstruction have still happened the same?
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Good thread. I've been reading the three Churchill books. To be honest, I knew a lot about the US in WWII. I did not know nearly as much about the events prior to that. I've had to stop reading it more than once. I always re-verify the info because I have to know that what I'm reading is correct. Not because I think the book is inaccurate, but because all I see is how unnecessary this was, almost all of it could have been avoided. Incidentally, Churchill was an enneagram 8. I don't think I (as an 8) could have gone through all the years of warning the British government without bitch slapping someone and I can totally understand why he drank a lot.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.