User Tag List

First 123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Washington Times is well known for basically inventing non-stories, and then the network of other largely insubstantial right-wing sound boxes echo it.

The idea is simple, and not nearly as much of a stretch as, say, a mainstream media liberal bias.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't advocate the behavior, but the anger is unsurprising.

The guys also appear to appreciate the opportunity to look like martyrs.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

They should all be arrested, tried, and sentenced for physical assault and vandalism. Nothing about the circumstances of women in Argentina even begins to excuse such behavior.

Protip: if people on your side of an issue are engaging in criminal conduct doing anything other than remaining silent on the issue or condemning the behavior is a mistake that does nothing to help your cause and only reveals your ridiculous bias and probable double standards.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Protip: if people on your side of an issue are engaging in criminal conduct doing anything other than remaining silent on the issue or condemning the behavior is a mistake that does nothing to help your cause and only reveals your ridiculous bias and probable double standards.
    1: You're a hypocrite, because you are an apologist for people you feel ideologically connected to whenever they fuck up, most of the time.

2: Criminal conduct where and for what reason? You think it's so cut and paste? When people in Saudi Arabia commit crimes to throw off religious oppression and demand representation, I do speak out for that. It is criminal there, and the right thing to do.

Argentina is not Saudi Arabia, but then those feminists aren't committing a massacre, either (as far as I can tell). Practically all of Latin America has bigger problems with patriarchy and intrusive religion than the USA.

Here's a little rundown of something in neighboring Chile. A presidential race is under way and the country's political discussion is embroiled over the issue of an 11 year old who was impregnated by repeated rape, who of course, could not get an abortion, because those are flatly illegal in Chile. When she said, in what I perceived to be an extremely naive fashion, that she would keep the baby instead of giving it up for adoption, she was praised for her maturity and depth by the current president. This has understandably pissed a lot of people off and brought the practice of abortion closer to acceptance than it has seen for a long time if ever in Chile.

Argentina is not so different, culturally speaking. And when I see things like that, I don't feel so confused by sacking a church to make a protest about this sort of thing.

Of course, given the only sources I've seen for this story, for all I know they were having a picnic and then got into an argument.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

When a group has been instrumental in consigning certain people to life as brood mares, second-class citizens, and punching bags, it's not that much of an over-reaction, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

They manage to violate the conventional standards of beauty and civility at the same time.

Take that, misogynists.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Have you heard of the Overton Window?
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Nothing about the circumstances of women in Argentina even begins to excuse such behavior.
    And what exactly do you know about the circumstances of women in Argentina?

These people are protesting the hold that Catholic church has over the government of their country. The Catholic church is not a friend to women. Here's an article http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...n_s_mercy.html that covers a little bit about exactly how the Catholic church involvement in government is hurting women, and concentrates on how the Catholic church involvement in even US healthcare is hurting women.

TL;DR anecdote of what happened to Tamesha Means... Imagine you suddenly find yourself sick and in horrible pain. You go to the hospital. They examine you and find that the condition from which you are suffering is extremely dangerous to your life and health and you are having a genuine medical emergency for which there exists a relatively simple treatment. Rather than delivering the treatment or even telling you what's wrong with you, how dire the risk to your life, and what your treatment options are they... send you home. Twice. Because the Catholic church says the treatment cannot be delivered or even discussed. The only reason you don't die or end up having several organs removed from your body is because the third time you show up at the emergency room, your condition changes sufficiently so that the doctors are no longer forbidden from attending to you, and they do so.

This happened in the US. It's not an isolated incident.

I guess being a man (and therefore immune to finding yourself in a similar situation) makes all this very unimportant, and not an issue, so what are those women complaining about, amirite?
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by two cents View Post
    And what exactly do you know about the circumstances of women in Argentina?
    Not a hell of a lot, though probably more than most in the United States after taking several Latin American politics classes as part of my IR/Comparative major.

There is absolutely nothing about their laws, political system, or living conditions that prevents the women in that video from promoting their causes in ways that does not include assaulting and vandalizing the property of people who disagree with them-and I would be saying the same thing about radical pro-life activists if they were doing the same thing to an abortion clinic in the United States, which, since we are apparently attributing motives and mindsets onto others in this exchange, is a standard of reciprocity in personal and public behavior which I doubt you adhere to (in other words, you seem to believe actions are only bad or unjustified if they're in support of positions you oppose).