User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I bet the death count is higher trying to pump gas after dark in Newark than it is while out shopping on Black Friday.

I've also seen people Sharing some news story on FB about someone getting trampled... but it's a story from 2008. People are getting confused.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I remember back when Black Friday used to mean something, which was getting actual good deals on stuff. Now it's a bunch of dumbasses not realizing they're only getting 15% off obsolete products when they used to get them for 50% off or more. Black Friday has become your plain old ordinary sale, with added traffic and unusually big newspapers.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Well I don't get american media over here, or rather I don't watch much, nor do I watch much of our own either come to think of it.

So I don't know about it's notoriety. I've only seen the worst extracts off youtube which is biased of me. However people going that insane over, (well to be cheesy, materialistic goods), is frightening. Although it doesn't perhaps show anything new that we don't already know of our natures.

Just something else to grinch up about I suppose. However I am hardly innocent of a bit of materialism, I just know where my obligation to products ends and the one to the people I care about begins.

But then again my text-book moralising is probably doing as much damage ho ho.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Well I don't get american media over here, or rather I don't watch much, nor do I watch much of our own either come to think of it.

So I don't know about it's notoriety. I've only seen the worst extracts off youtube which is biased of me. However people going that insane over, (well to be cheesy, materialistic goods), is frightening. Although it doesn't perhaps show anything new that we don't already know of our natures.

Just something else to grinch up about I suppose. However I am hardly innocent of a bit of materialism, I just know where my obligation to products ends and the one to the people I care about begins.

Where is "over here"?

No, I never go anywhere near the huge puss filled boil that is Black Friday. I don't even get the draw anymore. The online sales are just as good.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

Where is "over here"?

No, I never go anywhere near the huge puss filled boil that is Black Friday. I don't even get the draw anymore. The online sales are just as good.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    Actually, the body count seems surprisingly low, given that it's an aggregate of seven years of such incidents.

I would have thought the numbers higher, given all the press devoted to the subject of people mangled in Black Friday crushes. The press treats Black Friday like the Pamplona running of the bulls.
    Um, we're talking about people going shopping. Any body count is completely unconscionable. Shootings, stabbings, stampedes, at fucking Toys r Us and Walmart.
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    Um, we're talking about people going shopping. Any body count is completely unconscionable. Shootings, stabbings, stampedes, at fucking Toys r Us and Walmart.
    Hey, those Barbie dolls and Teddy Ruxpens don't buy themselves, you know!
    7w6 so/sx

" The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Where is "over here"?

Over here, over there.

It isn't important, since we have black friday now as well, apparently.

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Hey, those Barbie dolls and Teddy Ruxpens don't buy themselves, you know!
    Dude, does anyone buy Teddy Ruxpins anymore?

I guess I should celebrate Black Friday deaths. Darwinism, you know? The real tragedy is when the poor asshole awake and at work in the middle of the night after Thanksgiving and making minimum wage ends up getting killed or maimed by the hordes.
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    Dude, does anyone buy Teddy Ruxpins anymore?

I guess I should celebrate Black Friday deaths. Darwinism, you know? The real tragedy is when the poor asshole awake and at work in the middle of the night after Thanksgiving and making minimum wage ends up getting killed or maimed by the hoards.
    I know where all of the good hook-ups are. A dusty warehouse full of not just Ruxpens, but his nauseating partner-in-crime Grubby, as well. The 80's will never die.

The number of cars in the parking lot at the WalMart on Thursday night was terrifying. I didn't even take the street it was on, I was trying so hard to avoid it. Any "holiday" where the government advises that the elderly and small children shouldn't be participating in it, is my sign to stay far away. I have no desire to be ground into atoms by someone who wants 5 big screen TVs.
    7w6 so/sx

" The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry