User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default Ms. Male Character

Curious about your thoughts.

Oh yeah I saw someone post a little image about the pac-man one. It's interesting to flip things around like that. I also saw where somebody had flipped around the genders in one part of the bible... THAT sure was interesting (although I kinda liked it... )
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Sorry I didn't have time to watch the 25-min video clip though...

It is effectively what happens when most women get married though. They become Mrs [Husband] - at least in name of course.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

It's too one-sided IMO. There are more examples where all these named clichés don't appear.
    The female stereotype characters she named are mostly cartoons. How should someone else display gender with less details.
    I found it very funny that she complains about female characters having long eyelashes or red lipstick. Almost every woman in the west uses make up frequently, even herself.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Sorry I didn't have time to watch the 25-min video clip though...
    Don't feel bad, I only watched eight minutes before being consumed by utter boredom. I tried, out of principle of learning.

I was kinda hoping the discussion it sparks will fill me in on whatever I missed, ha.

I was most excited to see where, for example, fem-shep plays into this. I was thinking about a lot of characters that were female in gaming: Samus Aran, Joanna Dark, Zelda/Sheik...

Curiosity is driving me towards the latter half of the report. Hopefully someone comes in and pushes my interest further.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is right on the money. The heart of it is the idea that male is normal/default, while female is different. The reference to Adam and Eve showed how old this trope really is, and how insidious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    The female stereotype characters she named are mostly cartoons. How should someone else display gender with less details.
    I found it very funny that she complains about female characters having long eyelashes or red lipstick. Almost every woman in the west uses make up frequently, even herself.
    How about mark the male characters with something readily identifiable as "male"? When real-estate on a cartoon character is limited, spending so much of it on makeup, eyelashes, or bows gives undue importance to those characteristics vs. qualities that set that particular female apart from all her sisters (or brothers).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is right on the money. The heart of it is the idea that male is normal/default, while female is different. The reference to Adam and Eve showed how old this trope really is, and how insidious.
    YES.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

How about mark the male characters with something readily identifiable as "male"? When real-estate on a cartoon character is limited, spending so much of it on makeup, eyelashes, or bows gives undue importance to those characteristics vs. qualities that set that particular female apart from all her sisters (or brothers).
    It's because the main characters were introduced as asexual to the mostly male audience. Since they identified with the character and wanted to have a playable female character, studios made the protagonists male and females only got supporting roles. The stereotypical female look is a leftover from American cartoons from about 50-80 years ago.
    Another thing would be an openly shown misogyny (which has to be eradicated), but it's not the case here.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    asexual
    pacMAN?

I think you are illustrating @Coriolis' point here...