User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    @Lateralus

Forty-seven percent of those that play videogames are female. I don't think it is accurate to perpetuate any false information regarding "domination" by the male species.
    47% you say? They must be playing Candy Crush, because blockbuster games like Call of Duty are dominated by males. With phone/tablet gaming on the rise, maybe games like Candy Crush will bring in more revenue than games like Call of Duty in the future, but that's not the case in 2013. Candy Crush earns about $1 million/day. Meanwhile, Call of Duty: Ghosts earned about $1 billion on the day of its release.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    47% you say? They must be playing Candy Crush, because blockbuster games like Call of Duty are dominated by males. With phone/tablet gaming on the rise, maybe games like Candy Crush will bring in more revenue than games like Call of Duty in the future, but that's not the case in 2013. Candy Crush earns about $1 million/day. Meanwhile, Call of Duty: Ghosts earned about $1 billion on the day of its release.
    IIRC, females games make up 40% of xbox players, and about 30% of the "action violent" COD types.

I think it's pretty high given the general lack of females support these games have.

http://www.theesa.com/ would have more details for anyone that cares.

* My WoW experience was about a 40/60 F/M mix, but that decreased rapidly when I was pvping and increased when doing basic stuff like dungeons. Active raiders at the time was 6/10 for our ten man, ~10-12/25.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    IIRC, females games make up 40% of xbox players, and about 30% of the "action violent" COD types.

I think it's pretty high given the general lack of females support these games have.

http://www.theesa.com/ would have more details for anyone that cares.

* My WoW experience was about a 40/60 F/M mix, but that decreased rapidly when I was pvping and increased when doing basic stuff like dungeons. Active raiders at the time was 6/10 for our ten man, ~10-12/25.
    I don't know what percentage of FPS gamers are female, overall, but for Call of Duty it's 24% according to the executive producer, Mark Rubin.

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/a-...rs-are-female/

If a 76-24 split isn't domination, I don't know what is.

Regarding MMOs like WoW, the split is supposedly around 60-40 now. But as recently as 2005 it was 86-14 (third paragraph). I'm not convinced the 60-40 split is entirely accurate for MMOs (though it's probably pretty close) given how many males pretend to be females (either to scam to other males or because they prefer to look at a female character while playing). You might argue that these males would report their correct gender in surveys, but I'm not certain that's always true. I can't say how many males lie about their gender in these surveys, but I'm certain some do it. Could it throw off surveys by a couple or a few percentage points? I think that's possible.

As all of this relates to the original video, she's complaining about stuff that happened during a time when males weren't just the primary market, they were the only market worth considering. As more women have started playing games, the marketing has changed. How this isn't blindingly obvious to people, I don't know. Eventually the overall gaming market will be close to 50-50 and these Ms. Male Characters will be a relic of the past. These characters aren't a reflection of our society's attitude toward women. They are the result of companies trying to spend as little money and effort as possible, while earning as much profit as possible.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."