User Tag List

First 2345 Last

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I copied/pasted his phrase verbatim into google search. "Forty-seven percent of those that play videogames are female"

Plenty came up. Too much to look through for me tonight, but just letting you know it came from somewhere. Mostly, I looked because I first thought, "Moms buying games don't count." But, hopefully @Jennifer, you'll find something useful.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Uh.... no. When you say 47% of video game players are women, that really flies in the face of my experience, so I want to know your source out of curiosity. I've never heard that before. But maybe you're counting smartphone games (like Candy Crush) and stuff like that in there.
    Here is a thing talking about 46% of video game players being women.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Thanks, I appreciate the linky.

I just wish it told me WHAT women played. And whether smartphone and FaceBook games count as part of that tally. (I guess smartphones is in the list, so yes. I would definitely think there are quite a number of women playing games like Candy Crush and similar.) But otherwise, I mean, are we talking racing games? Shooting games? Brain games? Puzzlers? Narratives? MMOs? Adventures? RPGs?

There's a decent amount of women who do play MMOs, but it's hard to guess a figure just by playing since character gender isn't necessarily player gender. I'm wondering how lopsided the gender divide is in some of these genres.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

According to Wikipedia (from Female gamers as a demographic)

According to a survey done in 2004 by the Entertainment Software Association, 25 percent of console players and 39 percent of PC game players were women. According to a survey conducted by EEDAR, 60 percent of female gamers played on mobile devices. The survey also found that 63 percent of these female mobile gamers played online multiplayer mobile games.
    Thirty percent of women are playing more violent games. Of this 30%, 20% play Call of Duty and 15% play Grand Theft Auto.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Everybody is missing the point. Even if gamers were mostly female, it means absolutely nothing as to whether or not they are passing on lame ass gender concepts.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I played Resident Evil 6 with my ex. Just adding another data point to the picture.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

WALMART

@Jennifer

The study was conducted by the Entertainment Software Association.

Phone games should not be thought of lightly, modern phones can run applications as powerful as the sixth generation of consoles.

In 2013, forty six percent of the category "frequent videogame purchases" were done by females, despite females only comprising forty five percent of the videogame market.

Thirty percent of that forty five percent play violent videogames.

Twenty percent of Call of Duty's userbase is female.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Everybody is missing the point. Even if gamers were mostly female, it means absolutely nothing as to whether or not they are passing on lame ass gender concepts.
    The number of female players sort of is the point. If it had always been an industry dominated by women, it wouldn't be nearly as female-sexualized as it is now because we just wouldn't find it interesting. The fact that women are becoming a significant player base is a relatively new thing and the game developers haven't really caught on to the fact that maybe they should start tailoring games to us just as much as they do to men.

And to put in my two cents, they do pass on lame gender concepts. If you are surrounded by an attitude toward a certain group or thing, you are given permission to share in that behavior. Major human rights movements have been made by making a big thing out of what, at the time, was nothing. The general attitude right now seems to be that accusing a game of perpetuating sexist behavior because the female lead has huge tits and painted on clothing is ridiculous, but in 50 years people will probably look back on that same game and be vaguely horrified.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I thought this was relevant:

I feel bad that she got that much backlash.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Now don't this just look bizarre?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump