User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default barring prion's disease

if we're discovering animals we eat have feelings there's two logical options. one stop eating them the other include all animals including cats, dogs, humans, ect. so Why not just legalize cannibalism. if we want equality for everything it's only fair.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm as near to certain as its possible to get that some animals, including some of the ones I eat, have feelings.....the distinction lies in the fact that food animals are non-sentient species and that they're, well, other animals, not whether they can feel love or emotional anguish.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I'm as near to certain as its possible to get that some animals, including some of the ones I eat, have feelings.....the distinction lies in the fact that food animals are non-sentient species and that they're, well, other animals, not whether they can feel love or emotional anguish.
    Careful, darling. That can get you reprimanded by the scientists still researching this. It is in fact the big controversial issue that animal behaviourists, ethologists and wildlife biologists are debating today. And the preliminary conclusion seems to indicate that we are flat out wrong about that assumption.

Their emotions do not work exactly like ours, just like we differ in other ways. But basic pain, fear, stress and chronic suffering...well they seem to be part of the basic package of being a living being as they are part of the survival mechanism.

Sure, in cats, the frontal lobe is smaller and is thought not to allow for more complex emotions such as like self-pity, as it is not a social animal and self-pity wouldn't exactly contribute to its well fare, as there are no tribal mates to feel empathy for it, and help it out.

But the basics of fear, pain, suffering and stress...you bet that they feel those things. In what quantities, and how it precisely works, however, is still being figured out.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

What inspired this post, OP?
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    What inspired this post, OP?
    Oh I saw a video about a turkey sanctuary in california. The sanctuary was in california i was here not in california and was watching the video. and they were talking about turkey's and I was like fuck I like to eat turkey on thanksgiving (just the dark meat) but if they have feelings it's not fair to just eat them. So i figured if i ate my friends as well it be more justified.

As pack animals, it's not wise to eat others who can help you bring down larger food sources or build your house. Try doing everything on your own while avoiding the cook pot or sushi blanket.

Default Anthropromorphism

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    the basics of fear, pain, suffering and stress...you bet that they feel those things. In what quantities, and how it precisely works, however, is still being figured out.
    While it is plain some species have emotion, only one species is conscious of emotion.

And that species is called 'a human being'. We are actually beings.

This is confused by the fact we are also inter-subjective and so project onto other species our being, our consciousness and our inter-subjectivitiy.

This is called anthropromorphism.

Socionics
    ESI None

Who says we want equality for all?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    While it is plain some species have emotion, only one species is conscious of emotion.

And that species is called 'a human being'. We are actually beings.

This is confused by the fact we are also inter-subjective and so project onto other species our being, our consciousness and our inter-subjectivitiy.

This is called anthropromorphism.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Its the word scientists have been using for over 50 years to discredit those who show empathy towards animals and label them unprofessional. Seriously, it has become like a derogatory term in animal studies.

Thank god that that view is mellowing and becoming outdated in the millenium now more and more studies are being done to actively study he emotional mindset of different species and actual data instead of dismissal is being used.

They still teach caution in overidentifying with animals and with reason. But it is no longer considered preposterous to acknowledge that animals have more emotional depth than we give them currently credit for.

As for stating animals arent aware of their emotions, only people are:

The first we have no way of knowing at present as it is finally being studied instead of assumed. The latter I wouldnt be so sure of either. People may have the capacity; doesnt mean they actually utilize that potential
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Its the word scientists have been using for over 50 years to discredit those who show empathy towards animals and label them unprofessional. Seriously, it has become like a derogatory term in animal studies.

Thank god that that view is mellowing and becoming outdated in the millenium now more and more studies are being done to actively study he emotional mindset of different species and actual data instead of dismissal is being used.

They still teach caution in overidentifying with animals and with reason. But it is no longer considered preposterous to acknowledge that animals have more emotional depth than we give them currently credit for.

As for stating animals arent aware of their emotions, only people are:

The first we have no way of knowing at present as it is finally being studied instead of assumed. The latter I wouldnt be so sure of either. People may have the capacity; doesnt mean they actually utilize that potential
    C'mon this is the Romanticization of animals.

This is part of the New Age which is part of the Romantic Movement which is a reaction against the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries.

The Romantic movement as well as rejecting evidence and reason, freedom and equality, do it in the name of wish fulfullment.

The slogan of the New Age Romantic Movement is, if it feels good do it. But if it feels good, it doesn't mean it is true or even good.

And soon we have Doctor Feelgood knocking on our door with something to help us feel good.