User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Christmas drama.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/11/22...-christmas-toy

Forgive the news outlet being fox on this.

Basically: Schools partner with a Christian organization to give out toys to kids for Christmas. Fairly standard stuff. This other organization had a major problem with the Christian group putting conversion pledges into the toy boxes as it implied to the kids that the toys were not really from the grace of the heart but had strings attached. School folds and cancels the toy drive. Lady pushily asks guy what they're doing to help--the guy says they did help.

So far it seems to me the school and this guy's group were both painfully lazy. The school should have changed to a more neutral status instead of cancelling entirely. And I think this guy's group, instead of taking the school's haughty "Well FINE Grinch we'll just cancel ALL of the Christmas!!" attitude, should have stepped in to make an active effort of a shining example of what could have easily been done in the first place.

Either you care or you don't. Either it's about the kids or it isn't. This guy sort of did the right thing in that he knew those pamphlets were wrong and sending the wrong message. But he felt justified in his causing a toy drive to cancel instead of making the effort to fix it and work with the school.

Why does it always come down to court stuff? What stops this group from reaching out in a more positive advocacy by working along side the school? Their own toy drive would cost far less than court procedures.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

It isn't about the kids. It is about being right. The kids became an afterthought in the pursuit of frustration relief.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    It isn't about the kids. It is about being right. The kids became an afterthought in the pursuit of frustration relief.
    This is exactly my point. Either side could have created a positive outcome in the wake of adult drama because the kids don't know nor care about all of this. So they're both wrong. No one compromises anymore--despite our country being built on the concept.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    This is exactly my point. Either side could have created a positive outcome in the wake of adult drama because the kids don't know nor care about all of this. So they're both wrong. No one compromises anymore--despite our country being built on the concept.
    It costs a lot more effort to stop the knee-jerk reaction of frustration relief and instead transform that energy into something positive.

Iow. This is easier. It is a short cut to satisfaction and evasion of blame.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

That sucks. I love the way it's turned from "hey don't try to convert kids" into "so you don't like giving kids toys"? Blatantly awesome logical fallacy.

Agreed with all the above. It's about being right instead of being good.

Ironically, it has lost the spirit of Christmas.

Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    That sucks. I love the way it's turned from "hey don't try to convert kids" into "so you don't like giving kids toys"? Blatantly awesome logical fallacy.

Agreed with all the above. It's about being right instead of being good.

Ironically, it has lost the spirit of Christmas.
    Yeah, that's why I had to apologize for the news source. That's how Fox news is. But, honestly, she did have a point in the sense that if you're that concerned about the true spirit of giving, why not help out yourself instead of yelling at others for the way they are helping? It is only one half of a wrong coin, but either side being active would resolve the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I know. This is why I'm the second guy here:

MBTI
    yupp

this isn't right! I mean people get mad when you say "worhip satan" than they go and turn around and force children to worship jesus? fuck them! I actually didn't read the article but i imagine that's exactly what happened. no questions asked

garbage

The first 31 seconds of that video is especially painful. Cringe-worthy.

"What started as a Christmas toy drive in South Carolina and Colorado for poor children has now become a national controversy."

"What is it about a needy toy drive that upset you?"

Not only in the words, though; but in the demeanor.

Why would this guy agree to go on a show like this in the first place?

However, a monkey wrench. A very, very small one; but one nonetheless.
    “This is a student-led project, and that’s a very important distinction,” she said. “This is not part of the SkyView curriculum. It’s not mandatory. The school certainly wasn’t driving this.”

However, Operation Christmas Child is listed on the school’s website as its December learning service project, overseen by three SkyView teachers.
    Hmm. I wonder if that ought to make a difference.

Moreover,
    “But they happened to pick a school where there’s a lot of people of faith that are going to push back,” she said. “For some reason, Christians have become fair game to be discriminated against and bullied. I am not threatened by religious expression from any other denomination, including atheist. All we’re asking for is equal access.”
    Regardless, I tend to find claims of bullying against Christians.. well, hilarious.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If they want to give kids toys, they should just give kids toys. They should not be using toys to hand out religious literature; at that point, it has become proselytizing, not helping kids have a good Christmas. (It's the same crap when people give out religious tracts instead of Halloween candy.) If they want to put their name out there as the giver of the toys and have ways for them to be found on the Internet, etc., then that's cool.

If they hadn't tried to piggyback in on the toys like a virus, though, the kids would have gotten their toys. Let's look at the action that actually led to the problem.

The shameful thing as others have said, though, is the fact that people couldn't just give toys to kids has led to the kids not getting anything at all. I don't know why they didn't negotiate to simply remove the letters or have an alternative to the letters, so that everyone could be happy. Withholding the toys should have never been part of the "solution."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft