User Tag List

Default What Martin Bashir wanted done to Sarah Palin

I don’t agree with Sarah Palin’s use of the word “slavery” either. But I’m not a demented leftist, so maybe I’ll stop short of ranting about coprophilia.

As Tony Lee at Big Journalism notes:

After suspending Alec Baldwin’s show for anti-gay comments he made off the air, MSNBC has not taken any action against host Martin Bashir for his vile comments made on air on Nov. 15 in which he suggested that someone should defecate and urinate in former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s mouth.
    Of course they haven’t. Sarah Palin isn’t a designated victim. It’s okay to say whatever they want about her. If Alec Baldwin had targeted her, he’d still have a show.

Congratulations, Martin Bashir. Everybody thought your Michael Jackson interview was the lowest you could stoop. But you can stoop with the best of ‘em. You’re a champion stooper. A super-stooper, if you will. Or even if you won’t.
    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/18/ma...#ixzz2l6UUQjjX

Last night he apologized. Still no discipline from MSNBC.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can't see the vid, so I had to look this up online. Here's what he said:

Palin had spoken in Iowa of borrowing from China to pay for the national debt, saying: “This isn’t racist. But it’s going to be like slavery when that note is due.”

Lots of people didn’t approve of Palin likening government borrowing to the awful legacy of buying and selling African-Americans.

Bashir chose to tell his audience of the diary of a plantation overseer in Jamaica named Thomas Thistlewood.

“In 1756, he records that a slave named Darby ‘catched eating kanes had him well flogged and pickled, then made Hector, another slave, sh** in his mouth.’

“This became known as ‘Darby’s Dose,’ a punishment invented by Thistlewood that spoke only of inhumanity. And he mentions a similar incident in 1756, his time in relation to a man he refers to as Punch. ‘Flogged punch well, and then washed and rubbed salt pickle, lime juice and bird pepper, made Negro Joe piss in his eyes and mouth.’”

“When Mrs. Palin invokes slavery, she doesn’t just prove her rank ignorance. She confirms if anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood, she would be the outstanding candidate.”
    Personally, I think all the fighting over the word "slavery" is a bit over the top; I'm not at all a fan of Palin, but to me it's clear she's just saying we're going to be indebted to China and at their mercy when that note comes due, and we really don't want to be there.

I assume her character trait of sloppy wording, though, rankles people enough that they react now whenever she uses a word that might not seem entirely accurate. She has fostered this image of the clueless white upper middle / upper class bigwig, with little understanding of minorities, and it's biting her in the butt.

To me, it sounds like Bashir's response is, "If you really want to downplay slavery so much, then maybe you should experience what it ACTUALLY has meant for people." And he proceeds to provide a graphic example of such. TBH, I could see someone here on this forum arguing a point in like manner: "Srsly?? Do you really mean THAT? Here's what it would entail; how would you like it if it happened to you?" What we are watching is an accelerated skirmish; each side responds to the other while tossing more fuel on the fire.

I think what gets me is the imprudence, though. Bashir has been given a lot of leash from the network, yet I'm not sure why he ever thought he could say something like that and not have it blow up in his face. Instead of just offering the example (if he had to even take it that far), and saying, "Sarah, is that what you really mean?" he morphed it into a personal dig.

You'd think someone in his position and stature in the news industry would be far more aware of the probable outcome of such an approach. I think it is a reflection of how more and more news is no longer about "dispassionate speakers" trying to give clear pictures, it's all basically opinion columns with people blaring their personal values everywhere. It's what happened to all the news mags (Time, Newsweek, etc.); it's all the mainstream online news feeds (they mix opinion pieces in with regular news so you can't be sure what is what anymore), etc. News is merely become a soapbox, and the networks are more interested in personalities... although then if a personality creates more bad press than revenue for them, they cast him out. It's a mess.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I don't have a problem with him saying " . . . given her well established reputation as a world class idiot." What I do have a problem with is his caving in to outside pressure and apologizing when in all likelihood, he doesn't mean it. He should have foreseen the backlash, but on the other hand, who says he didn't orchestrate the whole thing with backlash in mind? Does his modus operandi not strike anyone as being similar to that of Ann Coulter? Making "inappropriate" comments puts people in the spotlight and some employ that strategy for monetary gain.
    Likes Stanton Moore liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I agree with Governor Palin on most issues. I was not offended because I had no idea who Thomas Thistlewood was and if I didn't know, then I doubt that any of his audience (all 28 of them) knew either. Now if he had actually said "defecate" and "urinate", that would be over the top and misogynistic.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

I like how she prefaced her comments with "This is not racist! Not. Racist! So uhhh, don't try and say that it is. Cuz I just said it's not."
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

Well, he said: "If anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood...", implying that no one does.

Didn't want to start a new thread and thought this would be the most appropriate place.

Apparently CNN's Carol Costello thinks Bristol Palin recounting an assault and battery is hilarious.

CNN Anchor In Love With Bristol Palin's Account of Assault | The Daily Caller

I thought the initial reports of Palin men taking off their shirts and basically screaming "come at me bro" were pretty funny. But, whether Bristol is lying, telling the truth, or a little of both there's nothing about this recording.