User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Thread: White Pride

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I support things like a White student union etc..
    Why am I not surprised that you'd take this position?

Tell me, how far do you think the apple falls from the tree?

Pride movements are political. When one is a minority, and not in the privileged group, rallying together can be empowering. In universities, having Jewish, Asian or Hispanic Union aims to allow students to come together to share in a cultural identity. That's why there's also things like the Scottish Students Association, etc. To bond over the love for haggis.

Do you think there is a white culture? If so, I'd love to understand what you think that entails.

Being part of the privileged group, and having a pride movement based on that makes one an arrogant, ignorant douche. Just sayin'

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ yeah that.

Nothing makes me proud about a bunch of privledged people saying look how cool it is to be me!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    Do you think there is a white culture? If so, I'd love to understand what you think that entails.
    Are you serious?

We've birthed many American traditions from college football tailgates, to Faulkner, the modern corporation, Bluegrass music, Tennis, smoked BBQ etc...

Shit even our modern model of Democracy was penned by white folks.

Our contributions to American culture are so multitudinous and so manifest that's its almost easier to say what white culture is not than what it is. Hence the tendency to see white culture as American culture generally, and thus the difficulty in specifying that culture.

There are different stripes of white culture as well. We have the puritan New England strain, the rebellious scots irish in the south, much German in the Pennsylvania region etc...

EDIT - If I need to I can sit and list the Henry Ford's, the Carnegie's, the Kennedy's, Thomas Edison etc...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I dislike all racial pride movements. White pride is just even less excusable because it does not even have the aim of removing a practical disadvantage.
    This is precisely what I think on it. "Well, why can't we be proud too!?" Because you don't get to have the toys every other kid has just because they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Is it just racial pride you dislike?

Or is it all forms of pride?
    There are plenty of forms of pride I really like--patriotism being one of them.. but race is a made-up concept. We created it, and it has no place in biological science. Being proud of.. what.. melanin counts? Is that real?

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Are you proud to be female?
    I'm happy I am who I am--and being a woman is part of that... but I'd probably feel the same way as a man if I were one. I have no desire to change my sex, if that's the implication... and in the case of gender, being indifferent usually doesn't work so well because you have social and relational dynamics that play heavily into that factor. And so, it's easier to be happy to be your gender rather than try to be indifferent and end up confused and hurt all the time.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Are you serious?
    As serious as your whiteness. I mean, true American-ness.

We've birthed many American traditions from college football tailgates, to Faulkner, the modern corporation, Bluegrass music, Tennis, smoked BBQ etc...

Our contributions to American culture are so multitudinous and so manifest that's its almost easier to say what white culture is not than what it is. Hence the tendency to see white culture as American culture generally, and thus the difficulty in specifying that culture.
    You didn't mention country music.

Thanks. Just wanted you to say this out loud.

So, basically, American culture is white culture. How privileged of you to claim that identity.

EDIT - If I need to I can sit and list the Henry Ford's, the Carnegie's, the Kennedy's, Thomas Edison etc...
    It's not necassary to further list the contributions of Americans who were working from a position of power and privilege and identify their race to define the white cultural identity . You've given ample examples to prove my your point.

Thanks

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    As serious as your whiteness. I mean, true American-ness.

ETC...
    How condescending.

Are Black folks in African countries privileged over ex-pat foreigner whites simply because theirs is the extant culture?

If it were black folks coming over instead of puritans on the May Flower, then shit might be different, but it's not.

That's called luck of the draw sport.

According to your logic I could transplant to Mozambique and bemoan my plight suffering under the yoke of the dominant culture.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Man. It makes you wonder what was holding black people back at the time...

And you presumably miss the fact that this is actually one of the central reasons why minority pride movements are given more credence than white pride movements.

How condescending.
    Not a powerful criticism from a person who's chosen to spend his time in this thread basically doing what has been called "mansplaining" and "whitesplaining".

According to your logic I could transplant to Mozambique and bemoan my plight suffering under the yoke of the dominant culture.
    Not necessarily. Just because one is a statistical minority does not make someone a subordinate group. Often there are dominant minorities. See the history of South Africa.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

@DiscoBiscuit

This is your problem:

Ignoring the politics when it comes to cultural pride I'm willing to see more meaning in racial pride based in minority races than in White Americans. This is because there is more that binds the minority groups together rather than it just being a matter of race. The struggles that they have faced unites them. I get that. White Americans have a plethora of backgrounds and there's little that unites them that wouldn't also unite them with other races... Except for their white privilege.

My issues are more with the political implications of pride movements.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    @DiscoBiscuit

This is your problem:

Ignoring the politics when it comes to cultural pride I'm willing to see more meaning in racial pride based in minority races than in White Americans. This is because there is more that binds the minority groups together rather than it just being a matter of race. The struggles that they have faced unites them. I get that. White Americans have a plethora of backgrounds and there's little that unites them that wouldn't also unite them with other races... Except for their white privilege.

My issues are more with the political implications of pride movements.
    No shit.

But as demographics change the conversation changes.

I have no problems with the pride movements themselves, or the political implications. Everyone is entitled to their team and to pursue their interests to the extent of their abilities.

I have a problem with not having a seat at the table even as demographics are shifting away from us.

It will never be enough. No matter how much the world changes, or what the country's CEO's, ruling class, whatever look like there will always be some poor group that we just must come to the aid of because of big bad white people and all their privilege.

Its fucking tiring to be the last acceptable group to hate this country.

It's easy to act like the bad guy when you are treated like one.

In sum, I just want a seat for white people at the table as we diminish in statistical prominence.

Either way I'm fucking done with this conversation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I look at it as you don't really get to complain at not having a seat at the table when you own the table. Last time I checked, the country (and a lot of the world) was run predominantly by old, rich white guys.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers