User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Thread: White Pride

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    really? you can't figure it out? ok fine. I mean that the risk of me walking in the hood after dark and getting mugged is higher than me walking in a regular neighborhood.
    What's a "regular neighborhood"?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    omg i can't do this today. you are asking extremely stupid questions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    Another difference between white pride and pride in being some kind of minority is the purpose of the display. If you're someone who's black or latino or LGBT, then you frequently get the message in subtle and not-so-subtle ways that you are not as good as the majority group. This might be through not having your group featured in typical history classes or through having laws taking away your rights or other things like this. Being pushed down means that you're not on an equal plane as the majority group. And the purpose of these "pride" mantras or festivals is to try to push you up and counteract the negative messages that you hear from others. It also can be about trying to raise awareness of your plight.

But these reasons don't make sense for white people.
    Now, before someone says it, yes I know there are some cases where a white person lives in an area that mostly has black or latino people, and they can get harassed for their skin color. I know--I've had it happen to me. But this is the EXCEPTION, not the norm.

The few cases where white people get harassed don't compare in sheer quantity and numbers to the cases where people of minority races get harassed or discriminated against in some way. White people in general are just NOT oppressed like minority groups are. So there is no need to have big displays like the "white power" groups do. They don't do these things because of a real problem facing whites all over America. They do this because they are reacting to feeling a shift in power where they don't have ALL of the power anymore (although they still have more than others). This kind of "oppression" is really laughable. Well . . . on a second thought, it would be more funny if it didn't have the consequence of fostering racism against minorities.
    ^ Exactly.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

White folks will be a plurality within the not too distant future.

I support things like a White student union etc..

There is a difference between the message, pride in ones heritage (of which I would begrudge no man regardless of creed), and the tone with which it is conveyed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    Another difference between white pride and pride in being some kind of minority is the purpose of the display. If you're someone who's black or latino or LGBT, then you frequently get the message in subtle and not-so-subtle ways that you are not as good as the majority group.
    Totally agree with that and meant to add it in my last post but forgot.

Why you see minority "pride" events and movements is not because being born into one group is inherently better than another but because the majority has behaved as if being born into one group is inherently WORSE than being born into another, and the pride movement is seeking to equalize that message so that all groups are on equal footing.

This highlights why it's kind of silly for a majority group to bitch about not having their own pride movement. Where it gets interesting, though, is where the majority group ends up feeling like it's a minority as soon as its dominant position has been threatened -- so you see white pride and supremacy groups forming. (and, also, there is a possibility for a pendulum to actually swing too far and in certain contexts a majority CAN find itself a minority.) There is not yet a cultural sense where things are "equal."

The thought of having pride for a disenfranchised group is not an odd thing, actually. When someone is selling themselves short or suffering some setbacks in life, isn't the natural response, "Hey, don't give up -- take some pride in yourself and get back up and keep going." The pride movements are just far more broad (group-based, not individual-based) and what we really mean is, "Show yourself some self-respect and take some confidence in yourself, you're as good as anyone else."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

An excerpt from an this article:

"If someone calls you out on your white privilege, they are not marginalizing you. Plain and simple. They are asking (or telling) you to be aware that you were not born in a vacuum and that your skin color and ancestry have a very specific meaning in this country, a meaning that affords you and your ancestors certain advantages, perks, or benefits that a large portion of this country do not experience and are prevented from accessing, simply because of their skin color, nationality, ethnic and/or cultural practices, sexuality, and so on. You can deny it all you want, but that doesn’t mean the system will cease to exist with your denial. Your denial means that you are individually choosing to continue to support a system that has, I’d argue, the most far-reaching and damaging effects on communities of color in this country. Your denial of white privilege doesn’t mean that less Blacks and Latinos will be incarcerated in their lifetime; it doesn’t mean that Black, Latino, and American Indian women will no longer be making the lowest income among all groups in this country; it also doesn’t mean that queer youth of color will suddenly no longer experience disturbing rates of homelessness in Los Angeles County. Your denial of your privilege perpetuates inequality and is offensive to us folks of color who have to fight uphill against a system that devalues (and sometimes exploits) our cultural practices, our languages, our countries, our his/her stories, and our unique experiences and struggles in this country."

To act like white pride is the same as minority pride is to deny the racial inequality in our society and is extremely disrespectful to those who suffer from it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Proud to be bigots is the reality of those signs.
    I'm white as white can be and what's there to be proud of? My accomplishments hopefully .... and my drive to NEVER be a damn bigot. The color of my skin means squat except that I don't get as discriminated against as much as people of color which is not very fair- is it? White pride- my white ass!
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    yupp

sotty I jumped the gun and inferred something that you probably didn't mean. anywhere that's not the hood.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sotty I jumped the gun and inferred something that you probably didn't mean. anywhere that's not the hood.
    Something that *I* didn't mean, or something that *you* didn't mean?

MBTI
    yupp

Something that *I* didn't mean, or that *you* didn't mean?
    you like i thought you were trying to trap me, and were taking what i was saying out of context