User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Thread: White Pride

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    People often just brush this under the rug, like it doesn't really happen, like this is some sort of inconvenient detail that doesn't fit into their view of how things are. This makes me angry. Why? I understand that in a larger sense things I go through aren't nearly as bad as other groups, and I'm not looking for a cookie or a pity party. But I do feel like there are groups who are motivated just by an "us vs. them" mentality When people seem to refuse to even acknowledge this sort of prejudice, it makes me doubt how serious they are about combating the prejudices that effect everyone.
    What would it take for you to feel like this sort of prejudice is acknowledged? Please be specific. What kind of words or actions would someone or would groups of people need to take in order for you to feel heard in this sense?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    I agree with all this.

The biggest problem I see with trying to work out a solution is that from the privileged end (white in this case, but it could be straight, male, etc), they just don't see the problem so they can't really understand why disadvantaged people are so passionate about causing change. To them, they're wanting "special rights" because from their worldview, they already have the rights they need. (this is of course, all generalizing and I'm not saying every single white person, etc is like this). While at the same time, the disadvantaged people do see all the injustice going on and are tired of putting up with it and having to bend to the privileged person's perspective.

So the privileged people still have more power and need to see other people's perspectives, but all these factors make them not inclined to do so. And they don't need to in order to live their lives well. And so the disadvantaged people would need to convince the privileged people to listen to them, but that means more of coming into the privileged person's space and speaking their language. Which is something that I think disadvantaged people are touchy about because they've been forced to bend so much already while the privileged person hardly has incentive to bend at all, and they feel how unfair it is. So I feel like in order for progress to be made peacefully, both sides need to do things that they're naturally disinclined to do. So . . . augh.
    Yes, exactly.

As with all good change... it will require sacrifice in the present for a better future. On both sides. I hate to say that the people who are already down and out are going to have to reach out more, but there's no other way to bridge that gap.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Yes, exactly.

As with all good change... it will require sacrifice in the present for a better future. On both sides. I hate to say that the people who are already down and out are going to have to reach out more, but there's no other way to bridge that gap.
    I've been more and more feeling like this is true. Because they have the motivations for the change to happen, and the privileged people still hold the cards in their hands to make the change happen. The sides of me that live in the disadvantaged world roll my eyes at this, but I feel like you're right. The people that really, really want the change will have to initiate making sacrifices.

(Again, generalizing and not saying all people who have a privilege don't care about other perspectives, etc.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    Proud to be bigots is the reality of those signs.
    I'm white as white can be and what's there to be proud of? My accomplishments hopefully .... and my drive to NEVER be a damn bigot. The color of my skin means squat except that I don't get as discriminated against as much as people of color which is not very fair- is it? White pride- my white ass!
    So you are ashamed to be "white"?

MBTI
    INTP

I don't care realy. I think people hold a total right to be racist.

If people hate it, then go to Iran or North Korea. It's called living in a free country/liberal democracy...

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    I don't care realy. I think people hold a total right to be racist.

If people hate it, then go to Iran or North Korea. It's called living in a free country/liberal democracy...
    Until the racists take over...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    So you are ashamed to be "white"?
    I'm not ashamed to be white. But this "pride" in our heritage is a slippery slope as it:

A) Is not something we have the least bit control over.
    B) Does not make us "chosen" in any way, shape or form over another.
    C) Lends itself to bigoted behavior

And since whites far and wide have the most advantages and have been the main perpetrators of bigotry over non-whites----- I am not proud of people who behave that way and give my skin a bad name! I see people as the same color. I see all people as purple, green, orange - every color of the rainbow. People's color comes through from their spirit- their soul- their essence. Not the color of their skin. When we die- all of our skin turns ashen gray. Before it disintigrates off of our bones and turns to dust. It's our souls that live on.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Until the racists take over...
    er.. society thinks that morals are subjective.

yay... let's not comprehend theories!!!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    I'm not ashamed to be white. But this "pride" in our heritage is a slippery slope as it:

A) Is not something we have the least bit control over.
    B) Does not make us "chosen" in any way, shape or form over another.
    C) Lends itself to bigoted behavior

And since whites far and wide have the most advantages and have been the main perpetrators of bigotry over non-whites----- I am not proud of people who behave that way and give my skin a bad name! I see people as the same color. I see all people as purple, green, orange - every color of the rainbow. People's color comes through from their spirit- their soul- their essence. Not the color of their skin. When we die- all of our skin turns ashen gray. Before it disintigrates off of our bones and turns to dust. It's our souls that live on.

My heritage makes me a part of who I am. Humans are just as much collectivist as individual.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    My heritage makes me a part of who I am. Humans are just as much collectivist as individual.
    Yes it does. But belonging and pride are sort of different. Many people can be proud and not bigoted. But many people CANNOT. It's just a slippery slope. I like to think we should celebrate our differences. Not be divided by them.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8