First 91011121321 Last

Thread: White Pride

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Because it is basically the same problem in each instance.

You wouldn't have said anything if you didn't already have your suspicions.

So lets hear em...

I feel like being a white male coming from a family that hasn't had to struggle financially, that I am regarded with nothing but contempt and disgust from large swaths of the public, and most of its opinion makers.
    In light of Lark recently making his dramatic exit, I give you two tasks:

Determine how the position you take on this sounds a lot like the sort of positions Lark would take.
    Figure out why people found those positions of Larks' so irritating.

If I am deprived it's because I haven't worked hard enough. If I fuck up it's on me.

Society's not to blame, that guy Dale in accounting's not to blame, structural injustice is not to blame.... I am.

Because I'm the only one in control of my actions and I shouldn't expect the world to cater to my needs.
    You are not a lonely atom. You actually do not have complete control over what happens to you. You, in your thoughts, your actions, your physical state, and all potential changes for those things in the future, are in fact quite dependent on conditions around you, many social in origin.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^Assuming I don't feel compassion takes plenty away from me.
    I'm not assuming that. I'm saying it doesn't take away from you to do so.

It's this feeling of sure I care about that...but what about me?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    I'm not assuming that. I'm saying it doesn't take away from you to do so.

It's this feeling of sure I care about that...but what about me?
    People don't care about the same shit, and that's OK.

I care, but comparatively less than I care about many other things.

And it's not like the fact that little ol' me hasn't jumped on the care train means that it's passengers generally aren't numerous.

I wouldn't expect you to care about the same things I do, and I wouldn't think less of you for not doing so.

I would just think that your life has made you a different person with different priorities, than mine has.

It takes nothing away from you to worry about our regulatory burdens, or negligent spending practices.

Why don't you worry about those?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

People don't care about the same shit, and that's OK.

I care, but comparatively less than I care about many other things.

And it's not like the fact that little ol' me hasn't jumped on the care train means that it's passengers generally aren't numerous.

I wouldn't expect you to care about the same things I do, and I wouldn't think less of you for not doing so.

I would just think that your life has made you a different person with different priorities, than mine has.

It takes nothing away from you to worry about our regulatory burdens, or negligent spending practices.

Why don't you worry about those?
    You're right. People are entitled to their own shit for sure. Care about what you want.
    Was just being fi moralistic perhaps... And pointing out how it comes across and if that doesn't matter to you it doesn't and it changes nothing for me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The Irish were discriminated against at various points since the middle ages.

Is that why people with Irish heritage are proud of being Irish - because they were disadvantaged for so long?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    You're right. People are entitled to their own shit for sure. Care about what you want.
    Was just being fi moralistic perhaps... And pointing out how it comes across and if that doesn't matter to you it doesn't and it changes nothing for me.
    Oh I know damn well how it comes across.

And, given the fact that I enjoy your company (and that of many of the folks on this site), would prefer that I was better able to express my position so that it did not come across as it does.

But my self restraint when pressed (as Chana so predictably obliged), kind of disappears.

In this, as in many other convos I have on here, I feel like an IRL discussion over a frosty beverage would, in ten minutes, dissolve many of the assumptions folks here have about me.

However, I would rather go down in a flaming pile of wreckage a thousand times over than be cowed by the likes of [redacted].

So yes I care, in real and manifest ways that I (for one reason or another) am not willing to express here, but that doesn't get in the way of my need to represent positions that would otherwise go undefended.

There are already a shitload of people out there working all day long on the problems expressed in this thread. National trends are in your favor, and things are getting better all the time.

That is why I don't occupy my time worrying about those problems. People are already on it, and getting on the cross over it does me no good.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    No, things aren't as obvious. This is my problem with the current pc agenda and coercion techniques. It's just made systemic racism far more insidious and difficult to deal with. It hasn't changed hearts and minds.

Right now only 1 in 5 black men are eligible to vote. Sure, it's better than being considered 3/5 a person and the more outright limiting of rights during Jim Crow, but it's pretty obvious evidence of systemic racism.

Nobody is proud of having black or white skin. That's stupid. The pride comes from dealing with the social implications of your skin color. In my mind this has nothing to do with everyone being in a different "group" and repping that "group."

When it comes to being white there is just nothing to rep. That's because we're privileged and we should be thankful for that. Not guilt laden and not proud.*

As far as I can tell MLK's dream was to move African-Americans to this same privileged status where people would be judged on their character and have the same access to the material benefits that the country could provide.

I have issues with multiculturalism, but this I just don't understand.

Well, i don't quite see this as a Mexican standoff. Like MLK I think our destinies are intertwined and reconciliation is in both of our interests.

Don't get me wrong there's plenty of people who write about racial politics that irk the hell out of me. Lately I've noticed some people calling anything and everything "white supremecy" which is really annoying and combative language that's not conducive to reconciliation.

But, if this were a stand-off you know enough about politics to know that the solution to a stand-off is to take the focus off whatever the two sides are at odds on and focusing on a win-win policy. Dealing with drug laws and the death penalty would be a good first step. It could be a good win-win as social justice for african americans could be increased and the finacial cost of the justice system could be lessened.

I'm not certain what exactly a white student union would accomplish.

*when I speak of privilege as a positive thing I'm referring only to the general advantages accumulated by privilege and not advantages OVER or AGAINST someone else.
    Privilege is a dog whistle that should just be dropped from the lexicon.

I've argued fairly extensively on this site for reforming drug policy and sentencing, education and a host of other things I don't have time to get into here.

I'd have to hear your thoughts on the death penalty before I could comment one way or the other.

The white student union is the back half of the compromise.

It makes gives white folks something they want, and thus makes deal making in the future easier.

We change drug policy, and deal with sentencing reform etc..

You stop demonizing us, and allow white culture some intellectual space within the national narrative.

Hate

When it comes to race, my position is fairly simple:

“If it ain’t white… it ain’t right.”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Oh I know damn well how it comes across.

And, given the fact that I enjoy your company (and that of many of the folks on this site), would prefer that I was better able to express my position so that it did not come across as it does.

But my self restraint when pressed (as Chana so predictably obliged), kind of disappears.

In this, as in many other convos I have on here, I feel like an IRL discussion over a frosty beverage would, in ten minutes, dissolve many of the assumptions folks here have about me.

However, I would rather go down in a flaming pile of wreckage a thousand times over than be cowed by the likes of [redacted].

So yes I care, in real and manifest ways that I (for one reason or another) am not willing to express here, but that doesn't get in the way of my need to represent positions that would otherwise go undefended.

There are already a shitload of people out there working all day long on the problems expressed in this thread. National trends are in your favor, and things are getting better all the time.

That is why I don't occupy my time worrying about those problems. People are already on it, and getting on the cross over it does me no good.
    That was nice of you to say and I don't mean to come off mean spirited at all.

I suppose I'm a lil unsympathetic when I can't actually see a problem.

Ill attempt to be more open minded if you'd like to get into more of how you experience the issue.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Why would I be?

It's what I do after the chance happening of being born female that matters.

Pokemon movies doing it right since 1999.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so