User Tag List

123 Last

Default WTF, America??! WTF?? Knockout because it's FUN

I am so disgusted that I don't know what to say.

This new phenomenon amongst American teens - a game called "Knockout".

Aim of the game?

Be dared by your posse to knock out/knock unconscious an unsuspecting passerby, with one punch. Target can by anyone. Men, women.

Video maybe disturbing to some viewers:
    http://www.kisscleveland.com/pages/j...duration=72000

I'm sure there's commentaries to be made about the types of youth that engage in this. But, the lack of compassion, the blasé attitude of the teens being interviewed is what is the most disconcerting. The passive supporters in this macho, sadistic game

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Seems about as much of a cause for concern as nightly "news" reporting about "terrifying new threats". Ugh (ageist comment). I wouldn't worry about it that much.

It's just grown up versions of the dumb rumors people spread as kids. Even if it did actually (and I doubt it...wasn't E-baum's World a rival of SomethingAwful?) happen, it probably only happened a few times. Where is the evidence for this actually being a "trend."

If we're becoming a dystopian society, it's because of overly anxious-fearful stuff like this. No Illuminati is necessary, the American people are their own worst enemy. I'm pretty sure that if, 10 years ago, a major politican had run against the kind of surveillance programs that the NSA is running, he would have been painted as "soft on terror" and lost on a landslide. People seem to want a security state, or at least, they did at the time, and the cultural mentality before 9/11 was also somewhat aligned with that (although to a lesser extent.)
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Posse.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Seems about as much of a cause for concern as weekly news reporting about "terrifying new threats". Ugh (ageist comment). I wouldn't worry about it that much.

It's just grown up versions of the dumb rumors people spread as kids. Even if it did actually (and I doubt it...wasn't E-baum's World a rival of SomethingAwful?) happen, it probably only happened a few times. Where is the evidence for this actually being a "trend." If we're becoming a dystopian society, it's because of overly anxious-fearful stuff to blame. No illuminati is necessary, the American people are their own worst enemy.
    You seem content to lead an unexamined life. It's not a rumour. It has been substantiated by the fact that people have DIED! And most recently, 3 teens have been charged with murder because of this "not worrisome, roumered" game

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    You seem content to lead an unexamined life. It's not a rumour. It has been substantiated by the fact that people have DIED! And most recently, 3 teens have been charged with murder because of this "not worrisome, roumered" game
    Lots of people die. It will probably happen to me one day.

This does not mean that we should re-organize our society with restrictive measures that might not even prevent anything. It's not worth it to me. I could also die in a bridge collapse, but nobody is handing out petitions to fund infrastructure development/repair (though I'd prefer people care about that), because that seems like less of a spooky threat than the people in that video.

I guarantee you, more people die yearly in automobile accidents than have died as a result of this trend (3 people is not a trend, either). I don't see anyone discussing cars as a threat to public safety.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Ban cars!

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Lots of people die. It will probably happen to me one day. This does not mean that we should re-organize our society with restrictive measures that might not even prevent anything. It's not worth it to me. I could also die in a bridge collapse, but nobody is handing out petitions to fund infrastructure development/repair (though I'd prefer people care about that), because that seems like less of a spooky threat than the people in that video.
    I don't get the logic you're using to extrapolate to restrictive measures and such. You will die but if you are murdered, I don't know about you, but I'd want something to be done about it. Legally, of course.
    And more so, targeting such at-risk youth in some way. It seems like there is this whole faction of the American population, youth, who are forgotten to an extent. Not just this particular game but also others of its ilk. I'd wager they're coming from broken homes, low-income, growing up in an environment where they're numbed, desensitized to violence. It's peculiar how you didn't see these angles to the discussion but took it to discussing Illuminati, and NSA and other such random, disconnected points. Are you ok?

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    I don't get the logic you're using to extrapolate to restrictive measures and such. You will die but if you are murdered, I don't know about you, but I'd want something to be done about it. Legally, of course.
    I'd want the individuals involved to be punished and prevented from doing this again. I don't want it to be treated like some kind of systemic problem when it doesn't really appear to be one. Three people is not a trend.

And more so, targeting such at-risk youth in some way. It seems like there is this whole faction of the American population, youth, who are forgotten to an extent. Not just this particular game but also others of its ilk. I'd wager they're coming from broken homes, low-income, growing up in an environment where they're numbed, desensitized to violence.

Indeed. Maybe if there was some way we could profile the at-risk youth before they commit crimes?

It's peculiar how you didn't see these angles to the discussion but took it to discussing Illuminati, and NSA and other such random, disconnected points. Are you ok?
    Perhaps I did see them, and dismissed them after consideration. And don't worry, I'm not filled with a kind of burning rage at the injustices of the world that would be a cause for concern. Typically, that's what causes people to do something drastic.

Visit my Johari:

A King Hit

This is interesting because we have the same problem here. Only instead of 'knockout' we call it a 'king hit'.

However we have introduced legislation making a king hit a serious crime with a long jail term.

We do find those who go looking for a king hit are usually high on alcohol and/or drugs.