User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 43

  1. #31
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I've noticed that the attackers tend to be black males, but no one talks about 'entitlement' when the offender is black. There seems to be an underlying assumption that only white males can act entitled.

    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...Discrimination
    This is an interesting point. Although missing the mark by a wide margin. To add to your argument, I'd also echo the statistics of the prison population in USA - which are significantly made up of black males.

    Now, to tie that in with entitlement and race study.....

    What do you think is meant, in race study/sociology, by the word entitlement? Why do you think blacks are disproportionately represented in these statistics?

    There are two obvious answers:
    (1) Because they're black, and that's in their nature to be criminals
    or
    (2) Something else is going on (a lot of somethings that are complex and intertwined and systematic and marginalizing)

    One hint, it is about advantage, about privilege - in the political, social and economic arenas of life.

    So, which do you think is more likely the answer? (1) or (2)?

    Either answer you choose, please defend.

  2. #32
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    This is an interesting point. Although missing the mark by a wide margin. To add to your argument, I'd also echo the statistics of the prison population in USA - which are significantly made up of black males.

    Now, to tie that in with entitlement and race study.....

    What do you think is meant, in race study/sociology, by the word entitlement? Why do you think blacks are disproportionately represented in these statistics?

    There are two obvious answers:
    (1) Because they're black, and that's in their nature to be criminals
    or
    (2) Something else is going on (a lot of somethings that are complex and intertwined and systematic and marginalizing)

    One hint, it is about advantage, about privilege - in the political, social and economic arenas of life.

    So, which do you think is more likely the answer? (1) or (2)?

    Either answer you choose, please defend.
    Duh, 2.

    I don't feel like I have to prove that I'm not a racist to you or anyone, but my opinion is that socioeconomic status plays a big role into everything. Put a black man in a wealthy family and he has decent chances of becoming as eloquent as Obama or Neil Degrasse Tyson. Put a white man in ghetto and he'll usually become a 'bro'.

    It gets tricky because black people are underrepresented in wealthier classes, and that's why when people talk about 'black culture' they are always talking about poorer classes' tastes, so they kinda overlook the fact that there are white people who are part of that 'culture'.

    With so many agendas using the word entitlement loosely, it kinda lost its original meaning, but I see entitlement as the groundless yet unshaken feeling that one deserves to do or have something, so it applies here.

    As for prison statistics, I believe the system is flawled and punishes robbery (poor people as offenders) much more extensively and severely than white collar crimes (rich people as offenders). That combined with the white/black representation among these classes explains the data.

  3. #33
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    However we have introduced legislation making a king hit a serious crime with a long jail term.
    Interesting. But wouldn't that already be covered under, say, assault?

  4. #34
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Interesting. But wouldn't that already be covered under, say, assault?
    Yes, and now we have made a king hit an aggravated assault.

    A judge must weigh the various degrees of assault in imposing a sentence, and now the legislation has indicated a king hit is aggravated and so receives the appropriate penalty.

    But from the political point of view, the legislation reflects the community's abhorrence of the king hit.

  5. #35
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    You seem threatened by this news story, or at least outraged. Usually, when people are vocal about that, they demand authorities "do something."' They should probably do something but I'm not sure the kinds of solutions we get are necessary. People have this mentality that if you give the FBI/CIA/NSA/Police enough power, crime/terrorism will no longer exist. And yet, crime/terrorism continues to thrive. So what is it accomplishing, really? I'd like to see a more psychological/sociological approach to these kinds of problems (not purely because of "PC feel-good " reasons, but because it's not as though the "non-PC" approach is doing such a smashing job), but so many people refuse to consider something even remotely like that because it bucks up against their white-hatted cowboy mentality. The white-hatted cowboy mentality is what wins elections.

    I think the problem is a bit more complex.Yes, fear wins elections and yes authroities often revel in this type of thing. However thats, not to say there isnt a real problem. Personally I think the current generation of young people do extremely disturbing shit. Yes, disturbing shit has always existed, but today it seems like stupidity has become as mainstream as blue jeans. Sad, really.


    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Yup. It's just another form of the many forms of group bonding that occur all over the world, not just America. Typically, you must do something to prove you belong, and it has to be something outrageous or what's the point? It's stupid and dangerous to innocent people (some of which probably engaged in the same sort of thing as teens) and it's not new at all. Just has a new name for a new generation.
    Stupid shit like this is rather common in Europe too, though Im not surprised it happens in America as well; stupid is the new cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    This is about as common as the frequency in which I have kidney stones.
    I think it points to a fairly larger problem. This in particalur may or may not be rare, but as I said above the general love of stupidity and destructivness is rampant in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    This isn't really a trend or all too common, but things like these tend to make me paranoid. There's people out there who wouldn't hesitate to hurt/kill me without thought. Maybe I just shouldn't leave the house, ever.
    My thoughts as well.


    EDIT: I realize that wow, that sounds pessimistic. I think we focus alot on what the current generation does today, but we also forget what previous generations of teens did. Im not sure how widespread the type of phenomena described by the OP is. We hear alot about it. But does it really occur more often now than in the past? I dont know.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    I am so disgusted that I don't know what to say.

    This new phenomenon amongst American teens - a game called "Knockout".

    Aim of the game?

    Be dared by your posse to knock out/knock unconscious an unsuspecting passerby, with one punch. Target can by anyone. Men, women.

    Video maybe disturbing to some viewers:
    http://www.kisscleveland.com/pages/j...duration=72000

    I'm sure there's commentaries to be made about the types of youth that engage in this. But, the lack of compassion, the blasé attitude of the teens being interviewed is what is the most disconcerting. The passive supporters in this macho, sadistic game
    Turns out the Knockout Game is fake:
    http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5...ebook-friends/
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ony-panic.html
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    They're black teens dressed like hood rats, so I'll go ahead and make the half-logical assumption that they've grown up with hip hop as an influence for their entire lives and are acting out in the method condoned by their role models and reinforced by the criminal elements they're exposed to at school or in the community.

    White suburban kids who dress like hood rats typically don't have the balls to actually follow through on things like that and don't have the social pressure from or everyday exposure to criminals who would desensitize them to that sort of thing.

    Suburban kids are too busy hitting each other in the balls trying to see who's the first to pass out for that reason.
    From my point of view, these young surburban (white?) kids are some of the most spoilt troublemakers around. They aren't necessarily tied up in gang violence, but they are constantly up to no good. Theft, assault, intimidation, bullying, forced sexual encounters bordering on rape, drug use, etc. Meh.

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    lol, this is not funny...lol

  9. #39
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Thanks for this update! It's quite the relief to know that it was a shoddy media hype.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    795

    Default

    It's definitely real. I keep hearing reports about victims on another forum.

Similar Threads

  1. Describe how you experience your type's functions!! IT'S FUN, HONEST
    By VagrantFarce in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
  2. It's Fun To Have Fun But You Have To Know How.
    By wolfy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 02:36 AM
  3. Do we perceive it because it is meaningful? Yes!
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 05:52 PM
  4. [INTJ] It's fun to say that you're I.N.T.J!
    By ed111 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM
  5. PETA Asks Ben & Jerry's to go breast because it's best!!
    By BerberElla in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO