User Tag List

View Poll Results: Women, do you kill bugs/arachnids/rodents in your house/apartment yourself?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

7 46.67%
  • no

0 0%
  • killing cockroaches is immoral

1 6.67%
  • I'm a lazy slob and I don't care

3 20.00%
  • Jar Jar Binks

4 26.67%
First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I do it myself. I use a cup and an index card and take bugs and spiders outside, unless they're black widows - who get ceremoniously smooshed. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to dispose of dead rodents and bunnies thanks to my family's cat. The worst I ever faced was a dead bird (no big deal) with ants crawling in and out of its head (BARF). I used rubber gloves and a couple of plastic bags and was totally disgusted, but I cleaned that sucker up.

I'm pretty big on personal competence and I don't like asking others for help when it's something I can take care of just fine on my own. I don't blame other women who do ask men, though. I do it because I like to prove that I can do it, but it is generally unpleasant.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    want?
    Well, maybe not want. But it would be nice.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    banana spiders get huge and wouldn't fit under a glass
    Whatever it takes. As long as it takes. [slow, dramatic close-up]
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    No killing anything and no making anybody else do the dirty work, because they'd just kill it. I put everything outside myself, even if it scares me (not many do). A banana spider in the house just means trapping it under a cereal bowl instead of a shotglass. I'm not afraid of spiders at all.
    I live by this.

I'm always like

"No! Don't kill it!"

*rushes over*

*catches with hands* If the spider is a webspinner I'll get it to hang from me while I put it outside.

It's my job.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I do it myself. I use a cup and an index card and take bugs and spiders outside, unless they're black widows - who get ceremoniously smooshed. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to dispose of dead rodents and bunnies thanks to my family's cat. The worst I ever faced was a dead bird (no big deal) with ants crawling in and out of its head (BARF). I used rubber gloves and a couple of plastic bags and was totally disgusted, but I cleaned that sucker up.
    In the case of rodents, I don't like to kill them. I'd prefer to set mousetraps and use this method:

I don't know, I feel sorry for the little guys. I don't want to kill anything that isn't a bug or arachnid. When our house had mice my dad wanted to take toothpicks and impale the caught ones with them just because he wanted to see what would happen (damn his 5 sp/sx ass). Luckily my mom and I managed to stop him from doing so. Although I think my mom decided to just throw them in the trash. I felt sick to my stomach - I really didn't want to let them rot away like that.

Honestly I have a bit of a soft spot for mice (or animals in general). I think if I'd have my own house I'd probably end up keeping all the ones I caught in the traps as pets. Because I wouldn't want to put them outside - so many other dangerous things could happen to them!
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

your resident asshole

It really depends on my mood, how close they are to me, and how creepy they are. A small spider on the ceiling? Eh...not worth my time. One on my laptop? I'm smashing that guy. The fattest spider ever on the wall? OH GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

I tend to get them on my own, but I occasionally ask my mom if she is around. :P

Centipedes scare me though.

I've never seen a rodent outside of other people's pets.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yes, any bug but centipedes (though I hate them- they run like the 28 Days Later zombies- they redeem themselves by eating spiders & earwigs) - I kill. Web-dwelling spiders are permitted to live in my home. Hunting spiders are prohibited. Jack won't kill those, but I sure will.

My mother's house had a pretty bad mouse infestation in the past, when she moved in. So bad they'd started nesting INSIDE the backing of the stove. That was invasion at its peak- when I'd preheated the oven one day & got a strong whiff of "hamster cage." Still turns my stomach today to remember I cooked (and.. ate) with that appliance before I'd discovered their hideout.
    Directly below the kitchen, entire shelves were dotted with generous sprinklings of turds.. hundreds.
    Various interior electrical cables were severed. Breakers popped, wires frayed.

Jack had a grand time, but he couldn't keep up, harboring resentment toward me for confiscating his 'toys' as each new edition emerged. At first, I didn't kill them.. I'd corral the mice into a box, & dump them in the woods. Mainly to avoid needless contact or spreading of fluids. I couldn't keep up, either.

Mother's solution: sticky glue-traps. I found those inefficient, & grossly inhumane.

Soon after she'd placed them, I heard this awful screeching as I went to the cellar to do laundry. Under the stairs, a mouse was literally tearing its flesh apart; peeled skin, flecks of blood & fur everywhere. Eyes bugged out in terror. Its body was wrecked beyond reason- I have no idea how long it'd been there like that. I scooped it into a bag, took it outside, & dropped a very heavy stone on it.
    Screeching stopped.
    I checked to make sure it was completely dead.
    That happened a few more times until I found/collected the rest of the traps she'd set out.

Put out a poison that kills them very rapidly, & dehydrates them.
    Within 48 hours, the [visible] mouse population dwindled to zero.. and for about a week, you could smell it in the walls. Through heating vents. That unmistakably deceased odor. Warm. Taped the ducts closed. Called the company on the box to ask what to do, & they basically said, "oh, they'll just dry out.. no need to worry about the scent, it'll dissipate in days."
    Welp, I wasn't about to go digging around the insulation to uncover rodent mummies & fuck knows what else. Or pay someone to (wasn't my house, anyway).
    So there they remain, entombed between the drywall.

/end
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    In the case of rodents, I don't like to kill them. I'd prefer to set mousetraps and use this method:

I don't know, I feel sorry for the little guys. I don't want to kill anything that isn't a bug or arachnid. When our house had mice my dad wanted to take toothpicks and impale the caught ones with them just because he wanted to see what would happen (damn his 5 sp/sx ass). Luckily my mom and I managed to stop him from doing so. Although I think my mom decided to just throw them in the trash. I felt sick to my stomach - I really didn't want to let them rot away like that.

Honestly I have a bit of a soft spot for mice (or animals in general). I think if I'd have my own house I'd probably end up keeping all the ones I caught in the traps as pets. Because I wouldn't want to put them outside - so many other dangerous things could happen to them!
    You killer!

You should kill rodents because they spread germs, and you should kill insects because they're both annoying and spread diseases!

Arachnids, specially spiders, aid you killing the said insects by turning them into liquid and sucking it all up. If you live in Australia you even have rat-eating spiders!
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post

You killer!

You should kill rodents because they spread germs, and you should kill insects because they're both annoying and spread diseases!

Arachnids, specially spiders, aid you killing the said insects by turning them into liquid and sucking it all up. If you live in Australia you even have rat-eating spiders!
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Vetani View Post
    And you should kill yourself because you're not on Skype.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so