• “Never go outside the expertise of your people.”
    • “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.”
    • “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.”
    • “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”
    • “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.”
    • “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.”
    • “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.”
    • “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”
    • "The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition."
    • “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.”
    • “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.”
    • “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTj

Great book. Read it many years ago.

It's what modern American politics is all about.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Great book. Read it many years ago.

It's what modern American politics is all about.
    I haven't read it beyond the Wikipedia article about it.

Alinsky's mistake stands out more prominently than the things he got right -

The last section covers Alinsky’s analysis of the white, middle class in America—the class he believed could potentially hold the most money and power in the future. During the 1960s and 1970s, the middle class represented a massive proportion of the U.S. population known as the"silent majority". Alinsky believed that in the future, the organization of middle class communities would be much more important than that of lower income areas. He believed that by organizing the middle class, he could unite the most powerful socioeconomic unit in the country. With their power, implementing policy change and direct action tactics would be much more effective because of the availability of resources the middle class held compared to areas where poverty was more prevalent. He analyzed this class by population and income and addressed the importance of organizing them towards social welfare as the next big step in moving America towards a more equitable society.

The organization of the middle classes has favored, for the most part, the Tea Party and, during the Reagan era, the Moral Majority, and those rag-tag militia groups.

The idea, therefore, is to destroy the middle class, the so-called "have-little/want-mores."

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

In the social work major, where making changes on just about every scale of society is the goal for someone or other, this is an oft-cited book. I'm curious to see where this thread goes, though I admit I'm not familiar with the book at all. My familiarity with Alinsky stems from occasional references from one professor and reading Wikipedia. I hope this thread continues so I can learn more.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    In the social work major, where making changes on just about every scale of society is the goal for someone or other, this is an oft-cited book. I'm curious to see where this thread goes, though I admit I'm not familiar with the book at all. My familiarity with Alinsky stems from occasional references from one professor and reading Wikipedia. I hope this thread continues so I can learn more.
    Here's an interesting counterpoint on Alinsky's Rules, for example:

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnh...rals/page/full
    2) Never go outside the experience of your people. Want to know why Republicans are so terrible at reaching out to minorities? Because identity politics works really, really well and conservatives tend to oppose it on principle. So, white Republicans are constantly trying to go outside of their experience and reach out to minorities who are generally disinclined to listen to them because they have the wrong skin color. When the GOP accepts reality, adopts the tactics of the Democratic Party, and starts paying off our own Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons to reach out to minority groups and call Democrats racists, we'll start making inroads with minorities for the first time in decades.

This has actually been tried, and it really doesn't work - because these so-called conservatives were "responsible for WWII," they were "responsible for slavery," etc.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Here's an interesting counterpoint on Alinsky's Rules, for example:

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnh...rals/page/full
    2) Never go outside the experience of your people. Want to know why Republicans are so terrible at reaching out to minorities? Because identity politics works really, really well and conservatives tend to oppose it on principle. So, white Republicans are constantly trying to go outside of their experience and reach out to minorities who are generally disinclined to listen to them because they have the wrong skin color. When the GOP accepts reality, adopts the tactics of the Democratic Party, and starts paying off our own Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons to reach out to minority groups and call Democrats racists, we'll start making inroads with minorities for the first time in decades.

This has actually been tried, and it really doesn't work - because these so-called conservatives were "responsible for WWII," they were "responsible for slavery," etc.
    That is interesting, and I think quite a valid point. I didn't read the link though. I plan to soon when I haven't been out on the town all evening and tired on top of that.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    That is interesting, and I think quite a valid point. I didn't read the link though. I plan to soon when I haven't been out on the town all evening and tired on top of that.
    Even if white middle-class conservative America hired Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons, they would be seen as Uncle Toms.

And it's more than just being the wrong skin color. Even listening to the "wrong" kind of music is a damnable offense.