First 34567 Last

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

The utter impurity and moral vacancy of Earth sickens me. This planet deserves a gamma ray burst—painless, yet effective in cleansing this place of evil…

However, the rarity of such an event means that this so-called "dominant race" must take drastic action or else die slowly and painfully by its own hand.

Your thoughts? @Starry @Lady X
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

WALMART

country roads, take me home
    to the place I belong
    west virginia, mountain momma
    take me home, country roads

MBTI
    XXFP

^TL;DR

If there is a mass shooting, the shooter is likely to be a white male.

However, based on population size and ignoring gender, non hispanic white's seem to be responsible for an amount of shootings proportional to their portion of the population. Men are vastly over-represented. \

Also assuming that Marm's source (assumed to be MotherJones) classifies "white hispanics" as "Latinos" and thus basing data on non-white hispanics is appropriate.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

So if chicks put out more, would there be fewer mass shootings?

5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

Honestly, people take the mental health angle because rational people who can feel empathy do not murder dozens of kids in a school.

And some of them were probably terrorists, but many of them seem to completely lack an agenda, so I don't think that fits the definition of terrorism.
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Now before any naive people suggest this is about mental illness, you need to check your statistics on mentally ill women and non-white men, who are much less likely to randomly kill in public spaces. So much so that to me "mental illness" seems like a bleeding heart irrational cop out. [hostile comment removed]

It's terrorism, plain and simple. It's terrorism in a pathetic attempt to glorify the self.

White male terrorists who shoot innocent people for no good reason should be captured alive and taken to terrorist prison camps, just like their Jihadist counterparts. To do anything less is naive stupidity and racism.
    Hmm, I guess I don't see how they don't have a mental illness.

I understand where you're coming from in saying that there's an entitlement issue...but....

I would think that our "bad" side of our psyche is suppressed to the point that it lashes out.

That usually comes from not being or taking to proper nurturing as a child, I thought?

I have not read the whole thread, so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here....

but I guess I don't comprehend the type of entitlement mentality at the depth you're talking about

especially if it's not provoked.

I would think that someone would need to be provoked to act out...(is my opinion the naive stupidity you're talking about?)

I'm just trying to gain perspective here, I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers or anything (I'm seeking clarity)
    Last edited by Randomnity; 11-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Inari Love

They have mental issues, no doubt, but lots of people have mental illness and don't want to shoot strangers in public places and make a spectacle or statement. I honestly think that any one who believes these guys don't have an agenda are pretty much off their rocker. People without agendas don't plan to terrorize elementary schools or kill TSA agents. Lots of people are suicidal and just quietly take their own lives. Others do things like kill their partner or their spouse. It takes a real narcissistic entitlement to take random strangers lives, and disturbing that many more In other forms of intrusive harm.

@kquirk

No, sociopaths and narcissists don't have normal empathy. However pathological narcissism is not grounds for an insanity plea, and neither is sociopathy.

The only recent one I would quantify as legally insane is the joker in the movie theater. But he is likely ALSO a narcissist.

It's not a coincidence that twenty five mass shooting occurred between 2006 and 2012...lots of people were mentally ill or owned guns before that. This is a cultural disease.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Now before any naive people suggest this is about mental illness, you need to check your statistics on mentally ill women and non-white men, who are much less likely to randomly kill in public spaces. So much so that to me "mental illness" seems like a bleeding heart irrational cop out. [hostile comment removed]

It's terrorism, plain and simple. It's terrorism in a pathetic attempt to glorify the self.

White male terrorists who shoot innocent people for no good reason should be captured alive and taken to terrorist prison camps, just like their Jihadist counterparts. To do anything less is naive stupidity and racism.
    That... really won't do anything.

The reason we take terrorists to terrorist camps is to interrogate them about the organization they're involved with. What will that accomplish with someone who's acting alone, other than to find out that they're acting alone?

The problem isn't the method used (since you can go on a spree killing with your bare hands if you absolutely wanted to), it's mostly the media coverage of it. People have moments where they feel their lives are worthless, and look for some way to make themselves significant. Sure, they could go out and help spread world peace or help better the lives of others, but 1.) how often does that get them recorded in history books and 2.) that takes a long time.

With our 24 hour news channels and obsession with spree killings, shooting up a mall or school is pretty much a sure-fire way to get a lot of attention on you very fast, and they literally spend up their life to get that fame.

When we stop giving media coverage to the attackers and start giving attention to the victims, we'll stop seeing people go on spree killings for attention. Plain and simple.

There were relatively few school shootings before Columbine, and public attacks have only increased steadily ever since. It's also important to note that the deadliest school attack in U.S. history was back in 1927, and didn't involve a gun as the primary weapon. A school board treasurer lost his election for town clerk, got pissed, found out he was losing his land to a bank, and snapped. So he set bombs off in the school, and the only gun he used was to shoot a bomb he'd planted in his backseat to kill the first responders.

But nobody mentions that attack, even despite it having the largest body count of a school attack. Columbine is the one we remember, and it's the one school shootings are modeled after. Because publicity is what matters in these situations.
    Last edited by Randomnity; 11-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    ^TL;DR

If there is a mass shooting, the shooter is likely to be a white male.

However, based on population size and ignoring gender, non hispanic white's seem to be responsible for an amount of shootings proportional to their portion of the population. Men are vastly over-represented. \

Also assuming that Marm's source (assumed to be MotherJones) classifies "white hispanics" as "Latinos" and thus basing data on non-white hispanics is appropriate.

Um no, the people committing this PARTICULAR CRIME are usually white males, just as most drive by shooting were done by African American men. I am sure that doesn't offend any of you though. If I tell you gang violence involving drive bys in the 90s were majority African Americans, you would be like sure yeah let's discuss sociology. But since white men mostly commit this crime, you all would prefer to get your collective panties in a wad, even after I clarified that I never implied that white men are like this in general, but the ones who are need to be dealt with realistically and severely.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    Honestly, people take the mental health angle because rational people who can feel empathy do not murder dozens of kids in a school.

And some of them were probably terrorists, but many of them seem to completely lack an agenda, so I don't think that fits the definition of terrorism.
    Terrorism without an agenda is mental illness.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist