User Tag List

First 5131415

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

American news is nauseating. I DONT watch it anymore. NONE of it is good.

The only thing I like about it is the fact that my gym was on nbc last saturday.

MBTI
    XXFP

Of course changing the news broadcasts doesn't deal with the base issue which is dealing with these rampage personality disorders, but most ways of helping a situation involve many courses of action together.

Dealing with personality disorders (like self-aggrandizement) can be similar to but is distinct from dealing with mental disorders (like schizophrenia).

Sure there are some articles out there on that topic which could speak with some authority, but I imagine central themes would be:

- it's hard
    - if people don't want to listen to you can't really force them, they need to think the treatment is worthwhile on their own to stay with it
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Just like Noll was saying--not all psychopaths even qualify for this. We're talking of a very small subset group (which most men cannot count themselves to be in at all) of psychopaths that shoot up and terrorize public places. Far beyond even 'normal' violent crimes like A&B and Aw/DW and AA and so forth. We're talking absolutely clear-cut terrorism.
    They are not psychopaths.
    They are not terrorists.
    Execution is not a solution.

They are narcissists, as Marm pointed out. Living in the Age of Entitlement. What they have in common with terrorists is a deluded belief in the righteousness of their actions - in the former case it is a malignant ideology that is responsible, in the latter, a narcissistic rage at a perceived injury. Both types hold irrational beliefs, so the ideal solution would lie in ridding them of those beliefs. There are no punitive measures which will solve this problem, since we aren't dealing with rational actors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Transparency gives them loopholes. It seems the ideal way of dealing with it after the fact would be, back alley, no cameras, no tv, a bullet in the upper spine, unmarked grave, and bury their manifesto with it. That's it. That would curb the motivation for others. But that's not exactly transparent or how our society works.

I'd hypothesize based on the above that rampage shootings/killings in general probably don't occur in places like, say, North Korea, where they'd likely never get a chance to be broadcast. If that can be shown to be true, that it really shows what the problem is. (or at least a correlation) If that isn't true, maybe something else is going on.
    There were a couple of incidents in China recently - if I recall, one involved a knife or axe attack on children in a kindergarten. I have no idea how Chinese media handle such events.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I do like BBC far better than our news castings. Even the French news was more like "Oh, here's the stuff that happened today btw."
    We do have to keep a balance between reporting the facts to the public, and keeping criminals from using the limelight. It sounds like other nations do a better job of this. There is far too much sensationalism in American media.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Executions create martyrs for their "causes", and give the culprits a quick, relatively painless end. Better to throw them into some standard maximum security prison, with the usual run of convicted felons, to languish in obsurity until they fall victim to standard prison violence.

Possibly, but do they really get less publicity from being in prison? It's less "heroic" I suppose.

A lot of these guys are lone wolves and aren't really acting on anyone's orders.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Possibly, but do they really get less publicity from being in prison? It's less "heroic" I suppose.

A lot of these guys are lone wolves and aren't really acting on anyone's orders.
    I suppose there are ways to get publicity while still in prison, especially if one is part of an organization. It just seems we would do better to send the message to both terrorists and the public: these folks are no better than any other criminal, and will spend their days in prison like any other criminal, without any accolades or special treatment.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

White male terrorists who shoot innocent people for no good reason should be captured alive and taken to terrorist prison camps, just like their Jihadist counterparts. To do anything less is naive stupidity and racism.
    The point of terrorist prison camps is to extract information that could lead to more (American) lives being saved, not to waterboard 4 the lolz (though I suspect this possibility could have some impact {providing the shooter doesn't plan to kill himself}).

I doubt a terrorist label would stop shooters from killing people though.

I once jokingly suggested giving their corpses to necrophiles. Human rights folks would never allow that, but I think it could work (no narcissistic person would want that disgusting fate to his remains).

This is a long term problem and can only be seen in terms of generations.

So we start raising the next generation to know that guns do not solve problems.

This may take many generations. And in a society of instant gratification it may take longer.